1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why did Christ say he would draw all men to himself.

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Guido, Mar 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, please pardon this wrong of mine -- ceasing concerning the pronoun for God to capitalize the first letter -- as almost no Bible, neither old nor new, capitalizes the first letter.

The Bible states plainly that after his ascension, the Lord Jesus Christ would draw to himself all men. (John 12:32 KJV)

By this it is evident that TULIP is faulty, for if all men are drawn to Christ at this time, then the Holy Ghost is moving on all. And wherefore moves he upon all people, if there are some who are chosen by him who alone receive their souls' regeneration?

What is God doing with the unregenerate who were never chosen for Heaven, but pretending to move upon their hearts, if the blood of Christ is insufficient for atoning for the sins of all people. What is the purpose of common grace, but the condemnation of souls who are hated by God, whom he loves in pretense?

When I say God hates, I don't mean the true God; I mean the false God of Calvinism.

#1 Guido, Mar 21, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another ignoring context.... Does John 12:32 Go Against The Doctrines of Grace?

3. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to I John 2:2, Christ sufficiently atoned for the sins of all people. So many verses in the Bible, with respect to salvation, uses phrases like, "the world", "all", "all men", "the whole world", and you Calvinists, who believe in a god that pretends to love those he purposed to send to Hell, make those phrase to mean the elect alone, when the Greek means exactly what it says in the English.

#3 Guido, Mar 21, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since when does "The whole world" automatically mean all individuals? If the world series is going on and the announcer says "The eyes of the whole world are on this moment" do you think that literally means every individual? No, of course not.

And where does it say God loves everyone equally? No, the unsaved are under the WRATH of God.

5. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For what purpose?

6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what you are referring to here.

7. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists say that the wrath of God upon sinners is for his glory. But how is God's heart more for his glory than for those who suffer to bring him glory?

8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are looking at it wrong. It shows his justice and his holiness. God's love doesn't outweigh his justice/holiness and vice versa.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Guido,

What do you mean by all men?
    What about all men who have died before the cross?
    What about all men who lived and died and never heard the name Jesus?

[QUOTE]By this it is evident that TULIP is faulty, for if all men are drawn to Christ at this time, then the Holy Ghost is moving on all.[/QUOTE]

Nothing is evident by what you have posted so far.

What does this mean?

He passes over them. Your idea that all persons ever born is faulty, so this is not an issue.

Your struggle here is your view is not accurate.

There is only one true and living God....you will deal with Him one day.

10. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why is God's justice, according to Calvinism, greater than his love?

11. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said that it is?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They declare God's justice greater than his love when they say that his love is not for all people.

13. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context of John 12:32, supports the interpretation that Jesus is referring to “all men” without distinction (Jew and Gentile), not all men without exception.

In John 12:19, the religious leaders complained the “whole world” was going after Jesus. In John 12:20, we are told Gentiles had come to the feast and were asking to see Jesus.

It is at this point Jesus states that His time had come to glorify the Father by His death on the cross.

The Gentiles becoming part of the kingdom of God is a repeating theme in John’s gospel. In John 1, he explains the children of God are not born of blood(s), nor of the will of man, but of God. The mention of blood(s) refers to being a physical descendant of Abraham and (because of the plural) most likely the keeping of the blood sacrifices of the OT Law.

The inclusion of Gentiles in the Kingdom is repeated in John 10, the parable of the Good Shepherd, when Jesus says He has “other sheep not of this (Jewish) fold that will hear His voice and follow Him.

Again in John 12, we see the Gentiles have come seeking Jesus. That is the context of His statement He will draw all men to Himself. He means all men without distinction between Jew and Gentile, not all men without exception.

Paul picks up on this truth in Roman’s 9 where he states the descendants of Abraham are not (all) the children of God, but rather the children of the promise made up of both Jew and Gentile.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does the Bible speak of his equal unconditional love for all sinners?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So explain this;

Joh 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

2Co 5:
    18 And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
    19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
    20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.
    21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

The "us" are the apostles and prophets and Christians who preach salvation through Christ to the gentiles, the world.

2Co 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy [our] brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

I am not guessing about this because he says so in 2 Cor 6.

2 Co 6:1 We then, [as] workers together [with him], beseech [you] also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.
    [how is that possible?]
    2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now [is] the accepted time; behold, now [is] the day of salvation)
    3 Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:
    4 But in all [things] approving ourselves as the ministers of God,

One can receive the grace of God in vain if his faith is not accompanied with heart felt repentance. I know that because of these words in the same context.

11 O [ye] Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.
    12 Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels.
    13 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto [my] children,) be ye also enlarged.
    14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
    16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,
    18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

We learn that reconciliation is not salvation but it creates an environment wherein salvation is possible by the removal of that which causes enmity between two parties. In this case it is sin and the offended party has moved to make the reconciliation. However, reconciliation is a two way street and the perpetrators must agree to the terms of reconciliation by a willingness to turn from the offensive behavior and accept the righteousness that is provided through and in Christ. The opportunity to reconcile will only last as long as the perpetrator lives on the earth.

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please let me ask you a few questions.

Do you believe God is able (if He wanted to) to draw, convict, move upon the hearts of every single person with such power they would repent and believe in Jesus for salvation? Does God possess that ability? In other words, is God omnipotent? (All powerful)? I say yes.

Do you believe God knows exactly how much Holy Spirit influence every single person needs in order to draw, convict, move upon the hearts in such a way as to bring them to repent and believe in Jesus for salvation? Is God omniscient? (All knowing)? I say yes.

If you believe God Holy Spirit draws, convicts, moves upon the hearts of every single person with the exact same amount of influence, doesn’t that mean God is intentionally passing over those He already knows will not respond to that level of influence? I say yes, but I don’t believe He uses the same influence on each person.

Once you concede people cannot come to God without Him first intervening in their lives, you have accepted the doctrines of grace, even if you don’t realize it yet.

peace to you

• Like Like x 3
  17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you are proclaiming is contrary to sound doctrine. You claim sin is removed at Christ’s “reconciliation” when He died in the cross for all people.

However, all people, now sinless and reconciled to God are not yet saved until they “agree to the terms of reconciliation and turn from the offensive behavior”.

What you are saying is contrary to 2000 years of church doctrine, imo.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All men without distinction between Jew and Gentile is the same as all men without exception. Eeither one is a Jew, or one is a Gentile; otherwise one is not human.

19. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

God intervenes in the lives of all people, but those who are saved are saved through faith, which comes by their own free will. And the free will given by him to all people, he will not override to save anyone.

#19 Guido, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it is not the same thing. One means that there will be both Jews and Gentiles among the elect, the other means all Jews and Gentiles are among the elect. Are you a universalist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.