1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Did God Save Us??????

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by OSAS, Apr 15, 2005.

1. OSAS

OSAS Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I decided to bring this up here from the Calvinism/Arminianism debate forums because it seemed more applicable here.

The topic had started spinning towards the worth of mankind, and folks were discussing the value of man, and whether or not God saved us by sending Jesus Christ becuase he saw some value in us.

And I sat and stared at this little quip and wondered myself...

Why did God save us? We turned our backs on Him! We had no way of reconciling, Was it His Grace alone? Was His character involved? Did His character demand that Grace be shown? Somehow I am trying to see where God's character fits in with our salvation. I am going to look around for some verses, and check with some Dr. Wilmington writings to see what I can come up with. Has anyone any thoughts?

2. natters

natters New Member

We are made in his image. When God saw what he had made, it was "very good". We are his children. To answer your question, only one word is needed: reconciliation.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I think Ephesians chapter 3 says that at least part of His redpemptive plan was to reveal His characteristics of grace and mercy to the angels, who until the fall of man did not have a way of seeing His grace and mercy.

I think that is at least PART of the reason God saves us.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why me? To praise/demonstrate His "glory" and the "glory" of His grace to me. That is why everything I do is "doxological" first - does it give glory to God or not?

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him with a view to an administration suitable to the fulness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things upon the earth. In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.

In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation-- having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

5. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Grace, If that is what saves us, and the whole of mankind is under God's grace, please by all means, tell us why the whole of mankind is not saved!

There is but one Grace of God, so it is the same grace for ALL mankind. Why then is it that All mankind is not saved by God's "Saving Grace"?

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Ephesians 2:5-7
    5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
    6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
    7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

You must be born again.

8. Soulman

Soulman New Member

God gave us the second Adam. Therefore restoring our choice to be God's or not. It is consistant with God's nature not to give choices or He would have robots. His blood was shed for everyone.

It's like I bought everyone on this board a new car. You can have it if you will only accept the keys. If you refuse it, it is still paid for. You just can't have what you reject. Paid for or not.

9. Soulman

Soulman New Member

It is consistant with God's nature to give choices or He would have robots.(correction)

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'll take the car!

11. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

You must be born again. </font>[/QUOTE]Understood, but there are those who claim that it is grace that saves, and my question is that if grace is what saves, and there is but one God and one grace, then all mankind are under God's grace, thus because grace saves, all mankind must be saved!

I do not therefore believe that it is grace that saves, else all who are under God's grace would most definitely be saved, YET! Many do not find salvation at the end of this natural life. Why? If grace saves?

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I don't think I follow you brother. As for 'one Grace of God', what do you mean? What is grace? The bible says that He sends the rain on the just and the unjust alike. Is this not His grace? But it is not the rain that saves us. It is the blood of His Son, which was shed for us. All mankind may indeed be partakers of God's grace, but not God's saving grace.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

We are saved by grace, but it is through faith that the grace is obtained. The grace is there for any man, who will believe it.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

God has "saved" us simply because that is what He created us for.
    To clarify;
    "Let them have dominion".
    God created us to have dominion over this earth.
    God is sovereign. Therefore He is a ruler. We were created to rule this earth. We blew it, but God will NOT be thwarted. So He redeemed us for His purpose in creating us. All according to His plan for us to "have dominion" over this earth.
    Hence, when Christ comes, there will be a Kingdom on this earth. They who have been found faithful and are born again/redeemed will realize our reason for being.
    Though it is all of grace, that grace is only applicable as it relates to God's purpose for creating us in the firts place. Indeed, our creation is a gift in itself. But the "unspeakable riches of His glory" is that He created us in His image and likeness. And what is that "image and likeness" if it is not also as rulers over this earth. All of Scripture centers upon the great plan of God in creating us to "have dominion" over this earth and our fall and God's redeeming us through and by His Son upon the cross, thus restoring us to the place we were to have in the beginning.
    There is more, much more, but I will not go into it here. Unless asked. :D

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. msinave

msinave Member
    Site Supporter

Wes, I understand what you are asking as I asked a form of this same question in another forum. Now, someone explain this please. If we are saved through FAITH in God's grace and not by God's grace alone, what about those who die who are unable to express faith; i.e., babies and young children, the mentally incapable, etc. Please, scriptural answers, no "opinions".

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God is love.

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

msinave, I don't think your going to get much more than opinions on these matters, as the bible doesn't spend a lot of time explaining to people who cannot understand how to get saved. I don't think I know anyone who believes that God is going to be tossing babies into the lake of fire, but if God has mercy on those that are without understanding, it does not follow that He must have mercy on those who are without excuse.

Romans 9:14-16
    14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
    15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
    16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm saved 100% by God's Grace. Now, he gives me repentance/faith to believe it, but it is still 100% His grace.

And 100% for His glory.

(Someone posted that he gives US the choice - then that would be MY glory for making the wise choice. This ain't Indiana Jones. We ALL choose poorly.)

18. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Dr. Bob, amen!

19. natters

natters New Member

Without wanting to get sidetracked into a debate about Calvinism, scripture often talks of man's choice. (Josh 24:15, etc.)

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, natters, but even the faith to make the choice is because God has given it to us first (you have NOT chosen me, but I have chosen you . . )

So my choice is a reaction to what GOD has done, through His power alone.