1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Do Arminians Pray for the Salvation of the Lost?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thatbrian, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for keeping the focus on the OP. You've framed the questions well. We understand that the intellectually honest Arminian bumps his head into the inconsistency of his theology in trying to answer these questions, which is why we haven't had a direct answer to them. One would hope that he follows that honesty to where it leads and he rejects the false position he holds rather than either running away or attempting to divert our attention to something other than the question at hand.

2. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't finish the sentence. "My theology says Jesus saves" those whom, as He looks into the future, sees choosing Him first.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ITL.in his last post did step up and answer.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put words in people's mouths much? Cause my sentence was finished.

By "finishing" it for me, you merely proved the strawman argument that has been presented against you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you are familiar with the Arminian position on election, Don. That's why we are having difficulty.

6. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Didn't see it. He's likely on my ignore list.

7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you may have misread my post. Prayer is for us, not God. When we petition God for a request are we to think God has not yet made up His mind and that praying it will somehow sway Him to give us what we want? Isaiah wrote, "My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are My ways your ways" (Isa. 55:8). To know the mind of God is not to know His thoughts. No. When we pray we are attempting to get our mind in sync with God, not the other way around. Psa. 37:4 is a perfect example. "Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart." As we "delight" ourselves in the LORD, it is not the key to unlocking the secret to health, wealth, and prosperity; it is our desire changing to His desire. It is the same principle with prayer. The more we pray the more we should pray for things from God's perspective. Ergo, we become more like God in our wants and desires.

I hope this helps.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you interpret Isaiah 38:1-5?

In those days Hezekiah became sick and was at the point of death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him, and said to him, "Thus says the Lord : Set your house in order, for you shall die, you shall not recover." Then Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord , and said, "Please, O Lord , remember how I have walked before you in faithfulness and with a whole heart, and have done what is good in your sight." And Hezekiah wept bitterly. Then the word of the Lord came to Isaiah: "Go and say to Hezekiah, Thus says the Lord , the God of David your father: I have heard your prayer; I have seen your tears. Behold, I will add fifteen years to your life.
    Isaiah 38:1‭-‬5 ESV

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the ultimate in human logic brings EVERYONE to that conclusion.

Why bother then? Because Jesus overlooks the folly of human logic.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

HankD

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well, I wasn't on Sunday.

thatbrian_Ignore1.JPG

thatbrian_Ignore2.JPG

11. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The LORD always had this planned for Hezekiah. Hezekiah's prayer did not change God's mind. Hezekiah cried out to God for his benefit, not God's. Passages such as Isaiah 38:1-5 and Genesis 18:22-33 have to be viewed from the perspective of God's omniscience and immutability. God prevails upon the heart of men, not the other way around. God can move us to prayer when every other avenue is shut down and our need for God is most keen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's clear you haven't actually read Arminius, Brian. I believe that's why we're having difficulty.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The arminian basis is that God has sent saving Grace to all sinners, and that we have to freely decide to accept/reject Jesus, correct?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists hold to individual election, and arminians with Corporate election, correct?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists hold that God Himself first elects the sinner to be on eof His own, and that the Holy Spirit will bring that sinner to faith in Christ, while Arms hold that God bases election into the Body by when the sinner freely decides to co operate and work with the saving Grace of God, correct?

16. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got in on this one late, and I'm not an Arminian. But Paul prayed for the lost......

Romans 10:1
    10 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

17. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't read Calvin much either, but I do understand the points of contention. Conditional vs unconditional election being one of them.

18. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a stupid question. That's like asking, why do Calvinists preach the gospel, after all, God already elected those who will be saved. Come on bro!

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arminius defined election as "the decree of God by which, of Himself, from eternity, He decreed to justify in Christ, believers, and to accept them unto eternal life." God alone determines who will be saved and his determination is that all who believe Jesus through faith will be justified. According to Arminius, "God regards no one in Christ unless they are engrafted in him by faith." (Arminius, III:311)

I think the key phrasing from your question regards "cooperate" and "work with." Arminius' writings use the wording "respond." We could play semantics with whether responding is "working with"; suffice to say, in Arminius' view, no one is able to respond unless first drawn.

The simple wording of your question falls more in line with Wesleyan arminianism.

Arminius is complicated; perhaps too complicated, in some respects. There are aspects that I don't agree with. But I'm not fully in agreement with Calvin, either. If I had time, some day I'd like to write out where I understand the calvinistic position (starting with the picture of the Israelites as the chosen), to the points of John 6, to the multiple verses throughout the New Testament (as Hank has been pointing out) that point to the repeated command of "believe," and the warnings of non-salvific belief.

However, I'm now on a trip with my wife, children, and grandchildren, and don't think I'll have such time for a while.

I don't place my salvation status on being one of the elect; it is solely Jesus' finished work and God's grace. For me, the end of the matter is Hebrews 10:39 - But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main difference seems to be that in calvinism, God chooses us, in Arminian, we choose God, and that is due to difference between not able to resist the grace of God, and being able to do that in a salvation sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.