1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do we call him the first black President

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And our society, with its current standards or accepted definitions concerning people, would not accept him calling himself white.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Just a guess, perhaps he looked at his skin color and noticed he didn't look like the others..."

I've heard a number of half and half people that have made a decision to call themselves one or the other due to different things in their lives. None of them were based on their skin color.

"And our society, with its current standards or accepted definitions concerning people, would not accept him calling himself white."

Not necessarily true today either - across the board anyway.

And that comes to the question that has been raised before why one or the other. Would seem a decision was made for some reason to be one.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Technically, under federal law (enacted because of Native Americans, primarily), anyone who is at least 1/8th of a given human "race" (actually, there is only one human race), may claim it. So yes, legally BO can claim to be "African American"...

4. givengrace

givengrace New Member

No he is truly "AFRICAN / AMERICAN

Dad was African Mom was American!

It's ALL the others who Call themselves "African/ American who are WRONG

When their Parents were born both in America

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "So yes, legally BO can claim to be "African American"..."

Don't know that anyone questions his right to do so -- doesn't take a law to have the right to call yourself something.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose my great-great-great-great grandfather was black, that would make me 1/64 black. Are you saying no one would object if I called myself black?

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Going back to the original question, I think we should call the first black President of the United States Mr. President.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Or Mr Obama - either way. That would be the godly thing to do.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I certainly do not like this fact, I must, in all honesty, agree with BB this time!

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Of course we would object. You do not meet the legal criteria for being called "Black".

If your father, or even Grandfather was black, then I hope no one would object. Or, if like Barak, you were actually "black" (He certainly does not look Irish!), I don't think anyone would object.

11. Enoch

Enoch New Member

As if you are one to speak on this issue. What brilliant names have you called our sitting President... George W. Bush...really you should be ashamed of your hypocrisy...

I personally think there should be a certain amount of respect due for any sitting President. The color of someone’s skin is irrelevant. :thumbs:

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What names have YOU called our President elect? Talk about hypocrites. Bush has earned his abuse by making us hated around the world and practically running the country bankrupt.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now there's some good old fashion logic. :thumbs:

However, I think he resolved the problem. He called himself a mutt...

14. Enoch

Enoch New Member

None.

Justifying your hypocrisy is not very becoming.

As I said:

15. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

Lets call him what God called him.
    Seeing that he was raised without a father and in Deuteronomy the Lord is specific in His commandments.
    Deu 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
    I know this sounds harsh but the truth is always hard to receive, especially when we are not walking according to Gods word.
    The other day President elect Obama during a news conference called himself a mutt.
    Is it Obamas fault that his father deserted him? No.
    I am willing to bet that the 43 Presidents before him had their father's influence in their lives.
    I read somewhere on here that God appointed Obama to the highest seat in the land, but I don't believe that it is for this nations good.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

What a terrible misuse of Scripture. Out of context, wrong subject, just plain mean, and bad theology.