1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do you sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I really like this post, it is very thoughtful, and tend to agree with it except for one point. And that is that you believe a sin nature is necessary to sin. The scriptures themselves refute this idea, Satan was created "perfect", yet he was able to sin, the fallen angels and Adam and Eve were "very good" and yet they were able to sin.

This is why I also argued in another thread that Jesus as a man had the ability to sin, but chose not to. Having a "perfect" nature does not prevent someone from sinning, Satan himself proves that.

Eze 28:15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Calvinists especially believe a person is enslaved by their nature, and so man as a "corrupt tree" can only bear corrupt fruit, but Jesus showed we can determine what kind of tree we are, and what kind of fruit we bear.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

Here Jesus shows we have both the option and ability to "either make" ourselves good and our fruit good, "or else make" ourselves corrupt and our fruit corrupt.

Our choices determine our nature, our nature does not determine our choices.

If a person is enslaved by their nature, then it would have been IMPOSSIBLE for Satan, the fallen angels, and Adam and Eve to sin. IMPOSSIBLE.

#41 Winman, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could someone please define what is supposedly meant by "sin nature" ??? Is it:

** a substance that can be put into a sack or bucket?

** a psychological disorder?

** an intangible propensity, or bent ?

** a disease?

** a genetic flaw?

Where is this "sin nature" supposedly residing?

** body

** spirit

** soul

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

TND,

The problem with believing we were "in the loins" of Adam when he sinned, is that Hebrews 7 says Levi paid tithes being in the loins of Abraham.

Now, if this is literal, it means that not only are we guilty of Adam's first sin, but EVERY sin he ever committed. But not only that, we are guilty of every sin that every one of our grandfather's committed!

But that is not all! Levi got credit for Abraham's GOOD work and faith. So, we would also receive credit for all our father's good works, and if they were saved we would be saved also.

This is clearly refuted by scripture, John the Baptist told the Pharisees and Sadducees they must repent or turn from the idea they were saved simply because they were the physical descendants of Abraham.

Luk 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

We do not physically inherit our father's sins, nor do we inherit our father's righteousness.

Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Augustine believed sin was physically inherited. He was wrong.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Men sin because their hearts are corrupt. It's as simple as that.

Winman and TND are spouting paganism.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Notice that he was perfect "in all his ways" - not that he was created perfect.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

So, you believe God created Satan evil?

I've got to be off for a few hours, be back later this evening, thanks for the discussion.

7. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

Ma'am it does not mean that.
    The proposition that men don't have a "sin nature" which COMPELS them to sin does not mean that there are any persons who have not sinned.

I'm afraid that's a non-sequitor Ann.

8. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

#48 Inspector Javert, May 10, 2014
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You quote this passage often but it can be plainly seen that this is referring to the Law of Moses by reading the first 19 verses. A child does not know "iniquity" until he himself puts his stamp of approval on sin and willingly and knowingly commits sins as enumerated in these 19 verses.

If he does these things, then he incurs sin guilt. That is the purpose of the Law (of Moses when Ezekiel was written) to make us all guilty before God because of our heritage from Adam.

But there is some truth that we are all guilty of sin as a universal concept simply because we are the seed of the first human sinner who passed sin and death down to each one of us.

"all sinned" - Aorist tense.

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

John 16
    7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
    8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

In both of these passages above the word for sin is singular. All sin, big sin, little sin, any sin, what sin doesn't matter because rebellion against God is our ground of being.

It takes a few years, maybe even many before children come to an understanding of what they are and why they behave the way they do.

Then they die (they incur the guilt of sin).

Romans 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

It doesn't say "sin came to life" but "sin revived" - aorist tense - the ability to sin was there all along waiting to be awakened.

I will admit that Adam had a different ground of being in the beginning - he and Eve were indeed sinners by choice and were changed with the effect of having their choice become the consequence of the entire human race. The destiny of our parents is now the destiny of us all.

That is my take of Romans 5:12.

I think brother winman we can agree concerning one thing concerning our only hope:

"Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world"

HankD

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See Jordan's post #25

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

So does the NASB, and this indicates the "sin nature" resides in the mind, which is flesh. It is the human spirit being led by the sinful desires of the flesh to act on those desires.

12. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I've seen junk like this from to many supposed scholars. Here are the excerpts that are very conflicted and confused:

1)
    The Bible says we are born with a nature to sin–an inward motivation to sin.

2)
    The first man was of the earth, made of dust;
    The second Man is the Lord from heaven.
    As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust;
    And as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly.
    And as we have borne the image of the man of dust,
    We shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.
    To move from the natural (state of Adam) to the spiritual (state of Christ), you must be born again.

3)
    The Greek word that NIV and NLT translate “sinful nature” is the word sarx. It is defined as “the flesh, the meat of an animal, the body (as opposed to the soul or spirit)”.

4)
    As long as you are alive, your flesh will be prone to sin.

5)
    We no longer have a sinful nature.

First, speaking of an INWARD propensity toward sin

then shifting to a scripture which is plainly in the context of bodily death and resurrection

then defining "sinful nature" as flesh, the meat of an animal, the body (as opposed to the soul or spirit) - what the bible would call the OUTER MAN

then saying we have sin in what would probably be defined as sinful nature (flesh) and that we'll struggle with it

then claiming we no longer have a sinful nature

These pieces don't jibe at all. If "sin nature" is an inward propensity, then why the shift to the physical body?

If "sin nature" is the body of meat, then where does the notion come from that we no longer have a sin nature? we no longer have a body?

Somebody needs to clean up that mess quick

13. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

When this is sorted out, homosexuality, as a result of reprobation, makes sense.

Our Flesh is our physical body.
    Our flesh has needs.
    Our flesh is dying.
    Our flesh is driven by cravings for fulfillment of these desires.

We crave food, until we feel full.
    We crave sex, once our chemistry set begins to change.
    We crave emotional satisfaction...touch, respect, adoration, acceptance , noteriety, and etc.

We see, and our flesh says "I need that, too". Our flesh is not wise, only needy.

Sin is the transgression of God's Law.
    You haven't sinned, until you cross the line.

Deviancy, is sin that is not a result of our natural desires.
    It is deviation of nature, or leaving the path we would naturally follow, that is the subject of Romans 1&2.

Satan lures our flesh, knowing it's weakness, that it has needs, and tempts it to sin. He sets a carrot across the line, like he did to Eve.
    Adam sinned, because Eve was now the carrot, luring him across the line.

We have a nature, a needy dying body, that has to have many physical, mental and emotional needs met. This needy state of ours, is natural, is lust.

Lust , our natural craving for the necessary satisfaction of our needs, conceives craving for things that are not within our reach.

Lust is not sin.
    Lust brings forth sin.
    Lust...our natural desire, doesn't care whose apple that is, it desires food.
    Put a fence up, and that apple is now a sin to eat.
    Lust looks at the apple, and says: "I need that apple".
    Sin is brought forth, when lust convinces the mind to join the body, and overwhelm the human with desire for the apple, blinding him to the fence, momentarily.

Apples arent sinful.
    Desiring apples is not a sinful desire.
    Looking at apples across a fence is not a sin.
    But lust desires action, and the action is sin.
    The sinner always has a choice, to not sin, he just doesn't always choose it, because he has the desire to fulfill, and it takes a concious decision to overturn it.

Unsaved people can be trained to say "no" to any temptation.
    They just can't be trained to never desire something that that haven't been trained to say "no" to.

Bhuddism teaches self denial, for instance, yet the Bhuddist will kill another Bhuddist in a fist fight in the street.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You use these verses often. They are red herrings; non applicable. Adam, Eve, and Lucifer were all created beings, created ex nihilo, by God Almighty. You were not. You were born into this world, not created. In fact you were born under the curse, with a sin nature, depraved.
    You also say that Christ had sinful flesh. I had pointed out many other things regarding Christ that you believe. Essentially you place the nature of an infant as more pure and innocent than that of Christ which is heresy.
    Speaking of a created being, Lucifer, this is a non sequitor.
    You have corrupted the meaning of these verses. Just as a leopard cannot change his spots and an Ethiopian cannot change his skin, so a tree cannot change his "fruit." Are you really serious here? Do you think a pear tree can become an apple tree?
    The good tree cannot make the tree corrupt, for it is already corrupt. It will always be corrupt. The pear tree cannot become an apple tree it always be a pear tree. You cannot change its nature. This is the teaching of Jesus here. One cannot change the nature. The tree is known for its fruit!
    That is what he said.
    And man's fruit is only evil continually.
    No, Because our nature is evil we do evil things. Why do you have to teach an infant to tell the truth, but not to lie?
    Another non sequitor.
    No one is talking about angels and other created beings. Stay on topic.

#54 DHK, May 10, 2014
  15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Baloney. Satan, the fallen angels, and Adam and Eve PROVE that you do not have to have a sin nature to sin. You can deny it all you want.

And you have absolutely ZERO scripture that says we are born with a sin nature. You NEVER post this scripture, because it doesn't exist.

But... to the contrary there is scripture that directly says man is made upright.

Ecc 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

You can deny this scripture all you want, but it clearly says God has made all men upright. The word "they" is plural showing this is speaking of all men, not Adam only, and the word "many" shows men become sinful by personal transgressions, not the single sin of Adam.

You have ZERO scripture, I have multiple scriptures to support my view.

That is an outright lie, I have ALWAYS said Jesus was HOLY. I don't believe men are born with a sin nature, why would I believe Jesus was born with a sin nature?? So, this is nothing but a shameless attempt to smear me and misrepresent me. You should be ashamed, but people like you are never ashamed.

Satan was created "perfect" in all his ways. Are you saying God created a sinful being?

Satan did not have a sin nature when he was created, yet he was able to sin. This utterly refutes this superstitious view that a person must have a sin nature to sin. All you need to sin is free will and a lack of faith in God.

Baloney, Jesus showed we can determine what kind of tree we are and what fruit we produce.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

Jesus showed we have both option and ability here, he said "either make" the tree good and it's fruit good, "or else make" the tree corrupt and it's fruit corrupt. You have the option and ability to determine what kind of tree you are.

See, I present scripture that supports my view. You simply parrot things you have been told all your life without one word of scripture to support it. Any honest person can see who is just talking, and who is presenting real evidence for their view. :thumbsup:

No, because we have made ourselves a corrupt tree our fruit is evil. We have the ability to turn from sin and become a good tree that produces good fruit.

Eze 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.
    31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Again, I do not just TALK like you do, I show scripture that supports my view.

#55 Winman, May 10, 2014
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You do quote Scripture, but without understanding. The verse you quoted from Ecclesiastes, for example, was completely out of context.

Here in Ezek.18:31, Ezekiel tells them to get a new heart. Suppose the doctor told you to do the same thing. What would you do? Go to the "heart bank" buy a "heart" and somehow exchange yours for another. Or, yank Aaron's heart out of his body and somehow get it into your's. How are you going to accomplish this without any outside help.
    Winman:
    Get yourself a new heart! Go get one. Exchange yours for another without the help of another. Is it realistic?

Neither is it realistic spiritually!
    Here is what Keil and Deilitzch say on this subject:
    God alone can give them a new heart. They cannot do it of themselves.
    He takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but if they don't come to him in repentance and acquire a new heart from him, they will surely die!

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not according to scripture. Genesis 3:19 says that Adam was taken out of the ground. Ecclesiastes 12:7 says that the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Our body comes from Adam. 1Cor 15 says we are all IN Adam, speaking of our physical body coming from him. Eve was taken from Adam too.

Scripture says nothing about the curse being a mystical "sin nature" inside of man.

Genesis 3:17 says "Cursed is the GROUND because of you"

The spirit comes from GOD, not the parents. God forms the spirit of man within him (Zechariah 12:1)

Was He not a physical descendant of Adam?

If so, He had sinful flesh, which makes NO ONE a sinner. Sin-wrecked, or diseased, would be better ways of wording it

What do you mean by "nature" ??

Scripture absolutely teaches that man has two natures - spirit and body

There is a clear distinction between the body and the spirit, and each one relates to sin and righteousness in its own manner.

The body comes from the dust, through procreation, and is cursed to die because of Adam. But this body of death will put on immortality when it is cleansed of sin at the resurrection.

The spirit is breathed into a human sometime near conception, and is 100% sinless - until we go our own way and become filthy.

Then, when we have faith in Christ, wrought by the Holy Spirit, our spirit is cleansed and we pass from death to life.

Our spirit is then SEALED until the day of redemption, when our body will be cleansed and the whole mane is presented complete at the coming of the Lord Jesus (1Thess 5:23), which is when the resurrection happens

Many like to quote Psalm 51 - in sin my mother conceived me - as proof of a mystical sin nature. But the conveniently disregard Psalm 139 - I was fearfully and wonderfully made

What's striking about these two psalms, other than they appear to conflict?

David's PHYSICAL BODY was conceived and brought forth sinful (Ps 51:5)
    David's SPIRIT was fearfully and wonderfully made by God, who formed the INWARD PARTS (Ps 139:13-16). David said his soul known it well

The soul, or psyche, is our mind (thinking) - our will, rationale, emotions, personality, etc. This is not the same thing a the brain, which is part of our physical body. The psyche isn't the spirit either.

spirit and body are substance, like a balloon and the air inside it. The "personality" of the balloon depends on inner qualities and outer qualities. How much air? and is it actually helium? Those inner qualities will all affect whether the balloon floats or not.

Then there are outer qualities which affect the balloon's performance - air temperature, wind gusts, etc.

the performance of a balloon is not substance, just like thoughts of a man aren't substance

We have two pieces of substance - body and spirit
    Then, we have one ASPECT of our psyche (thoughts), which is affected by the quality of the inner and the outer

Our spirit and our psyche are joined forever - this is why scripture speaks of our spirit and soul as being distinct, but also uses them interchangeably.

Our brain and our psyche are joined while we are in this body. But take off this body and the brain affects it no more

Those who are born again have become a new creation, which is the spirit inside. We have been washed, purified, and are currently without spot or wrinkle - regenerated (Titus 3:5)

But this body of death is still wrecked with sin until it is sown in the ground then raised incorruptible - in the regeneration (Matt 19:28)

THAT is what Paul meant when he said "it is no longer I doing it, but it is sin in me, that is, in my flesh (body)...who shall save me from this body of death

Both our sinless spirit and our sinful flesh are tugging at our mind, to obey one or the other

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

James, obviously you were missed by the severe weather. :thumbsup:

Started a thread in News/Current Events but guess it isn't necessary.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

This is a very good post, and I think I would agree with it completely. Yes, we are born with a "corruptible" body that dies, but our spirit is given to us by God and is not originally sinful.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Our spirit comes from God, and God does not give us a sinful spirit.

The spirit can will to obey God, it is the flesh that wars against the Spirit.

Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

This was spoken before the Holy Spirit was given, so is speaking of the disciples "natural" spirit of a man they were born with. Jesus himself says the disciples were willing in their spirit to obey him, but their flesh was weak and caused them to fall asleep. This is exactly the kind of struggle Paul is describing in Romans 7:14-25.

Very good post.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Adam was created. Genesis 1 specifically says that. Eccl.12:7 you have taken out of context. This is a book that the cults love to use because it is easy to take the scripture out of context. Look at the verse carefully. Do you really believe that the spirits of Hitler, Osama ben Laden, Saddam Hussein have returned to be with God? Are you a universalist? Do you deny Hell? Obviously the verse doesn't mean what you imply.
    Yes, that means we all have a sinful nature. God "formed" Eve in a special act of creation using Adam. Do you deny the creation of Eve?
    The curse came upon all the earth, man, woman, animals, etc. There was nothing that was not affected. The second law of Thermodynamics was set into motion. The entire world (including man) is under a law of increasing entropy, or degeneration and decay. Things don't get better and better; they only get worse and worse.
    The spirit comes from God. That is how man is able to communicate with God. The soul comes from the parents. It is the seat of the emotions, that which can reason, the heart, the mind.
    Christ was the Second Adam. He came from heaven; from the Father above. He was born of a virgin conceived of the Holy Spirit. No, technically he cannot be traced to Adam. He is not a created being. He is God. God used Mary to allow the Son of God to come into this world as God incarnate. What do you mean he came from Adam? To say that he had sinful flesh is to disqualify him from being the sinless sacrifice that he had to be in order to make an atonement for our sins.
    If he had sinful flesh then he was sinful. Why are you implying Christ was sinful?
    No. We have our old sinful nature (depraved), and always will have that nature. We always will have it. When saved we will also have a new nature, a spiritual nature given by Christ. In Romans 7 Paul describes the war or the struggle that he has between the new and the old nature. It is there even as a Christian.
    The body is a vessel. It is a tent, Paul says. We are spirit beings like the angels, but for a temporary period are enclosed in a tent which is neither good or bad. It is us that use it for good or bad.

2Co 5:1-3
    1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
    2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
    3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
    --Our body is only a tent. There is nothing evil about it.
    It is the soul that is contaminated with sin. It is dead (Eph.2:1), separated from God.
    It is not "sealed" until one is born again.
    You must be born again. When born, you are not born into God's family, but into another family.
    First, Psalm 51 is a psalm of repentance where David with great sorrow and repentance looks down deep into the depths of the innermost parts of his soul and sees that even from the very beginning, the day he was born he was a sinner. He sees his sinfulness before God. It was a Psalm of repentance. Context is king.
    Second, in Psalm 139, the psalmist is looking at the body in amazement and wonder. This indeed is the creation of God. Recently they said that the human mind is more complex and powerful than any of the PC's available to us today. We indeed are fearfully and wonderfully made.
    No, their contexts are completely different.
    David's repentant heart knew and confessed of his own sinfulness.
    David meditated on the amazing body that God had created for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.