1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do you think that by Sowing Changes to the Meanings in God's Word, has Reaped such a Harvest?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Alan Gross, Dec 23, 2023.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist pastor Glenn Conjurske wrote: "If God himself were to place this moment a perfect translation in the hands of his church, and command every saint to use that version only, upon pain of death, this would not solve a single practical or theological question which now unsettles the church. It would not make Calvinists Arminians, nor the amillennialists premillennialists. It would not move the women to give up their jewelry, not the mean their ball games. It would, in fact, leave us just exactly where we are today. Many today of course believe that the King James Version is perfect, but if they are honest they must candidly acknowledge that the advent of the King James Version never solved a single doctrinal or practical difficulty in the church" (Olde Paths and Ancient Landmarks, July, 1996, p. 161).

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I believe that if God Himself told you that you were wrong about something, you'd post numerous copy and paste responses trying to argue with Him. You have an enormous ego which won't let you admit you might be wrong about something. Pride is a sin.

3. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never claimed that my understandings or interpretations of Scripture could not be wrong. I properly encourage other posters to back up their assertions and prove them to be true since I would accept the truth.

Is it being claimed that pride in unproven and non-true claims for the KJV and pride in unproven and misleading accusations against other English Bibles would be sin?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He loves himself so much that he wants to always be sure
    God knows he hates Him to His Face.

5. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yo are as much of a KJV-only advocate as I am.

You just also include versions based on totally
    and utterly unreliable manuscripts,
    which all Baptist Confessions of Faith reject,
    as insufficient for faith and practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's false witness. Not all kjvonlyist give false witness, but most of them do.

7. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a misguided and disgusting thought.

8. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your opinion is incorrect. You do not even seem to understand what constitutes a KJV-only view as you incorrectly think that only Peter Ruckman's view is KJV-only.

You contradict the doctrine of truth taught in the KJV as you bear false witness with your bogus,
    non-true accusations and personal attacks.

9. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. You post like your opinion is the ultimate authority. That's arrogance and pride.

10. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you describe your own opinions since you seem to imagine that your opinions of me and your accusations against me cannot be wrong. You also fail to criticize evident KJV-only arrogance and pride in their unproven KJV-only opinions and claims that they assert to be true so your inconsistent accusation would seem to be hypocritical.

I nowhere claim that my opinion is the ultimate authority. The truth is very evident and obvious that I am not a KJV-only advocate or even as much a KJV-only advocate as Alan Gross shows to be in his very own posts. Readers can easily read my posts and see that I am not KJV-only. Therefore, it shows no arrogance and pride on my part to point out that evident truth. You judge unrighteous judgment. Are you trying to defend or excuse his non-true claim?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'd be hilarious if you weren't so weird.

12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the OP I can tell you exactly why... No one on here can control the wind and God alone births is children, his way and as Jesus told Nicodemus, not that he needed to be, how it was done.

John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Brother Glen:)

Btw... If you question what I say, then question the following scripture and tell me how the numberless multitude got there?

Revelation 7: 9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I post my opinions as opinions! You may think they are wrong, and that is ok. That would be your opinion. However, you post your opinions as if they are facts and how dare someone question what you post! You declare people wrong when they post something contrary to your OPINION. You come across like you are the ultimate authority on the subject when most of what you post is simply copying and pasting the writings of other people who agree with you. That is my whole problem with you.

#93 Baptist4life, Feb 11, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  14. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you do not practice what you preach since you declare me to be wrong so do you have a problem with you yourself?

You do not criticize KJV-only posters for posting their KJV-only claims and opinions as being facts when they are not so again you fail to practice what you preach. Do you complain that I state the truth that their unproven KJV-only claims and opinions are not facts?

I post proven and true statements as facts. Scriptural truths and documented historical facts are not opinions.

I do not claim my opinions are facts as you incorrectly allege.

It is sound and right to state that non-true claims and accusations are non-true. The truth is very evident and obvious that I am not a KJV-only advocate or even as much a KJV-only advocate as Alan Gross shows to be in his very own posts. My statement concerning which you complained was true.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are one weirdo. That's all I'll say. And Conan must be your biggest fan. He/she loves everything you post. Strange.

I guess the best thing for me to do is put you on ignore. So that's what I'll do.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One poster complains about the making of accurate statements while throwing out insults. It is strange that a believer objects to the stating of the truth. The poster fails to demonstrate that I stated something that was not true. I am supposed to be wrong for stating the truth.

God’s people are not instructed nor encouraged to reject knowledge of the truth (Hos. 4:6).

Followers of Christ are not instructed to assume unproven assertions based on fallacies, to lean on their own understanding or opinions, to believe assertions that are not true, and to follow traditions of men.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV defender D. A. Waite maintained that “it is impossible to bring over into English all of the nuances of the original Words” (Critical Answer, p. 41). Waite wrote: “How can English be a perfect representation of the autographs when they were written in Hebrew and Greek? The English can’t represent Hebrew perfectly and the English can’t represent Greek perfectly because it is a translation. Translations are not the same as the original Words of the text (Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic)” (Central Seminary Refuted, p. 77).

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, sir.

That is a sober reality of dealing with an Eternally serious subject matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gesundheit.

"Gesundheit was borrowed from German, where it literally means "health";
    it was formed by a combination of gesund ("healthy") and -heit ("-hood").

(Alan:):) So, "Healthy-hood".

"Wishing a person good health when they sneezed
    was traditionally believed to forestall the illness that a sneeze often portends.

"What does Gesundheit mean literally?

"Gesundheit is an interjection used to wish good health to someone who has just sneezed.

"It comes from German, where it means, literally, health,

(Alan:) "Health!"

"and in German it is used as the equivalent of the English "God bless you" or bless you."

(Alan:) There we have "God bless you".

QUESTION: So, in an English translation from the German,
    would we translate:
    "Gesundheit", as being "Healthy-hood"?, "Health"?, or "God bless you"?

Any of those?

Do (Have) "Healthy-hood"?, (Have) "Health"? sound cool enough?

What about, "God bless you"?

Wouldn't that be even more cool and on point?

Wouldn't "God bless you" be just perfectly apprepo and 'kosher' and acceptable?

If so, what would happen with those words, "perfectly apprepo" and 'kosher' and "acceptable",
    in the event that
    "Gesundheit" was translated into an English version of the Bible?

Would it then be found to be of preeminent necessity that the wording be resorted back to,
    (Have) "Healthy-hood"?, (Have) "Health"?, or some other words similar to them, to avoid

using the word "God" in the Bible, at any and all costs???

The word
    "God" Θεός (Theos) is not in the source language German word "Gesundheit"!

SO, YOU CAN'T USE IT!!! GOD FORBID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Gesundheit" doesn't even have the word, "Ζεύς (Zeus)",
    or anything close to it, in the German, does it now?

Is that anything like what you mean by this comment?

Have I been
    "trying to make claims for it" (the KJV)
    "that are not true and that are not taught in Scripture"?

Where I've said that "God forbid" is the definition
    that the Oxford Greek Dictionary gives, for μὴ γένοιτο (mē genoito)?

And that
    "God forbid" is the proper translation for the Greek meaning "God forbid"
    from any number of other sources, including each English translation of the Bible,
    back to Tyndale's, 498 years ago?

Geneva Bible of 1587
    "What then? shall we sinne,
    because we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace?
    God forbid."

Bishops' Bible of 1568
    "What then? Shall we sinne,
    because we are not vnder the lawe, but vnder grace?
    God forbyd."

Coverdale Bible of 1535
    "How then? Shal we synne,
    because we are not vnder ye lawe, but vnder grace?
    God forbyd."

Tyndale Bible of 1526
    "What then? Shall we synne
    because we are not vnder the lawe: but vnder grace?
    God forbyd."

What about

blime?

English[edit]
    Etymology[edit]
    From God blind me
    • 1904, Jack London, chapter 4, in The Sea-Wolf
    • (Macmillan’s Standard Library), New York, N.Y.: Grosset & Dunlap, →OCLC:
      "Gawd blime me if you ayn't a slob. Wot're you good for anyw'y, I'd like to know?
    • Eh? Wot're you good for anyw'y? Cawn't even carry a bit of tea aft without losin' it.
    • Now I'll 'ave to boil some more.

Is that going to be an issue, too, if it was translated into an English Bible,
    where it WOULD HAVE TO BE RENDERED ANYTHING
    BUT "GOD!", or "Oh God!", etc., etc.??? ...Not even, "Gawd!"?

ABSOLUTELY ON POINT.

#99 Alan Gross, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  20. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems a certain poster tries to misrepresent or distort out of context the sound point made by Glenn Conjurske. He was clearly referring to a man claiming infallibility for his own interpretations.

It can be misleading and even wrong to suggest that man’s interpretation of Scripture is synonymous with Scripture itself since man’s interpretation can be mistaken or wrong.

Kevin Vanhoozer warned: “To believe in the absoluteness of our interpretations is like worshiping our own creations; it is like thinking one reads with the eyes of God” (Is There a Meaning, p. 184).

Ronald Enroth observed: “People, thinking that they were placing their allegiance in the word of God, were actually placing their allegiance in a man and his interpretation of the word of God” (Churches that Abuse, p. 48).

Alan Gross seems to place his allegiance in his own imperfect, fallible interpretations, assuming that they cannot be wrong.

• Like Like x 1