1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Does "Arminian Theology" get A bad name here On BB?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

To add a little more, think about this. As mean and violent as Paul was toward believers, the moment Paul encountered Christ he humbled himself. You would probably say anyone would do so, but that is not true. Pharaoh saw 10 supernatural plagues against Egypt and still did not humble himself. It is difficult to imagine you could see Moses call down fire from heaven and not believe, but that is how stubborn and prideful Pharaoh was. Paul saw one vision and immediately humbled himself, so he was not nearly as stubborn or prideful as Pharaoh was.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where sin abounds grace does much more abound;here is the scriptural testimony of why;

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

I've been gone a while, and don't know much about the thread.. but figured I'd say hello, with this drive by question?

Based on your above quotation, to whom does God give his grace?

Hello again:thumbs:

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Brother,
    Had not heard from you in awhile,so I prayed that all is well with you and your family. Figured you were taking a break from the BB.....

Willis asked me this question:
    Okay, answer this for me, please? Why doesn't He save the elect, even when they reject Him? He is in total control, absolutely, but He wants us in an humbled state. God resisteth the proud, but giveth Grace to the humble.

[QUOTEIsaiah 57:15
    For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.][/QUOTE]

James indicates that those who draw near to God receive grace;
    Like Isaiah in chapter 6 ...if we have a proper biblical view of God,that alone will humble any of us.

perhaps James reflected on psalm 73;

#104 Iconoclast, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
  5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

that is what "4 pointers" like myself would affirm and adhere to BUT

Big difference between myself and non cals would be I DO see that ALL are spiritually dead, as a result of fall of adam, and cannot even come to jesus and get saved apart from the LORD Himself effectually apply Grace towards his elected out ones, who will turn to Christ...

Do NOT hold that ALL can freely choose to accept/reject jesus, as dueto the fall, we ALL would ONLY freely reject Him!

6. JesusFan

the "Whosoever wills" would be those whom God has granted the will to do such though, as the "natural" man would NOT freely chose Christ!

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Actually the bible says that the natural man does not understand the mind of God, not that he cannot have faith in Christ.

That verse has been so taken out of context it makes me want to scream.

[​IMG].............there. I feel better.

8. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Then you give unbelievers a really good excuse for their unbelief on judgement day. Why give them that easy out? Why give them such a perfect defense?

I believe they are much worse than you do. I think they are SOO bad that they rebelled in the face of God's love and provisions. They were given everything they needed but chose to trade in the truth for a lie. They have NO EXCUSE!

9. mandym

mandym New Member

1Co 2:14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

10. Skandelon

But the scripture doesn't say "God resisteth the proud but giveth grace to some proud people in order that they be humble...God will humble you in the sight of himself, and he shall lift you up too."

It clearly says, "Humble yourselves... and that he gives grace to those who are humble

11. JesusFan

Until the Lord redeems and saves us, ALL of us will keep on freely rejecting the Lord, so NONE are without excuse!

12. Skandelon

HOW do you believe these "things" are spiritually discerned?

Keep in mind that the 'brethren' in the church at Corinth couldn't accept them either, so how do you think God spiritually discerned these 'things' to these believers in Corinth? Couldn't that be why Paul was writing to them under the inspiration (discernment) of the Holy Spirit?

#112 Skandelon, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
  13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Of course, but nowhere in scripture does it say that the natural man cannot believe the gospel. Only when he believes the gospel is he able to comprehend scripture and the deep things of God. But God did not block the gospel from natural man, or else NONE of us would be saved.

14. mandym

mandym New Member

I agree:thumbs:

15. JesusFan

The Holy Spirit ministry of Illumination would grant a saved person means to read/hear/study with understanding in the biblical fashion things of God, while the natural person being dead in their spirit would NOT be able to perceive those things....

be like going to hear Mozart played by musicians, yet be totally tone deaf and unable to "get into" the music!