1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does one lose their salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by BCF Jeff, Jul 8, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Gotta question. Where does the Bible ever use the words "truly believe" together? (Or worse yet, "really and truly believe"?) I know some where it uses the words "believe not" and some where the word "believe' is found. I submit that Scripture only knows about "believe" and "believe not". I dunno. Maybe "truly believe" is a further revelation?? [rolleyes]

Ed

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Aren't we all the children of God, saved and unsaved alike?

3. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

We are only His hiers (legal term for children) when we are born again.

BTW, if we can loose salvation and gain it again does tht mean we are born again and again and again?

For it is impossible to renew to repentance those who were once enlightened, who tasted the heavenly gift, became companions with the Holy Spirit, tasted God's good word and the powers of the coming age, and who have fallen away, because, to their own harm, they are recrucifying the Son of God and holding Him up to contempt. Hebrews 6:4-6 HCSB

This passage seems indicate that IF the redeemed could loose their salvation they could never again be renewed.

Even though we are speaking this way, dear friends, in your case we are confident of the better things connected with salvation.
    (Hebrews 6:9 HCSB)

Who is the writer writing to? If the, dear friends, mentioned here is restricted only to the original recievers and not to all believers this would indicate that he is confident they have not lost their salvation. On the other hand if this is written to the larger audience (all believers) then it would seem he is confident that none of the redeemed have lost their salvation.

I personally think that the writer is targeting both the original recievers and the church at large.

God bless you all.

:praise: :Fish:

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I really and truly don't know!!:smilewinkgrin:

5. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StraightAndNarrow
    Aren't we all the children of God, saved and unsaved alike?

1Jo 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

you know what i mean

I see love in that statement, you know exactly what i'm saying going ahead and poke fun at it.

I love you brother

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The love, I hope is there, but I do unfortunately not know exactly what you are saying. "Really and truly believe" is unfortunately too often a code word for what is termed "Lordship Salvation", implying there are levels of 'belief'. I believe Scripture teaches 'free grace', which term itself is redundant. There is not comittment in eternal salvation, as I see Scripture, save for God's. There is nothing less than comittment in "discipleship". Salvation is a 'free gift', another redundancy, based solely on faith or believing. It cost me nothing; it cost God everything. Discipleship may well cost you or me everything on this earth but will get us heavenly crowns.

FTR, grace or a gift that is not 'free' is not grace or a gift, at all.

Ed

8. MorganT

MorganT New Member

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Great, great question here. Any answers from anyone?

Ed

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yep. Saved by "believe"; live by "faith".

11. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BCF Jeff
    We are only His hiers (legal term for children) when we are born again.

BTW, if we can loose salvation and gain it again does tht mean we are born again and again and again?

NO

When God begins a work he dos not let it go unfinished.

Note only one work

Php 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:

12. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

A gift free or not you have to accept it in order to receive if you throw it away, it wasn't important to you any ways..

1 John 2:19They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

God will finish the great work with us, but if we disown Him, He will disown us.

Keep your eyes on Jesus.

13. StraightAndNarrow

I looked at this a little more closely and you are right. This verse is also quite relevant to the question at hand, losing one's salvation.

"whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

If we're of God we will do righteousness, (gulp) works.

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

More Amen's Brother Bob. Looks as if we had to have another gospel to get across. We know this now, but so much was not known before Damascus Road. Rapture, sleep, Body of Christ, through faith justification, and the list goes on.

We today that must come "through" faith have been relieved of the work of making blood sacrifice, of being circumcised, keeping the 600 or so laws with ordinances, and not connected to that "old" covenant of Israel of having to endure until the end; Or being subject to that gospel of the Jew of repent, and be water baptized for the remission of their sins to enter that kingdom to come of which you know we are not of this Acts 2:38 salvation.

We are so blessed to be born into this "grace" dispensation of God, knowing we are today in the Body of Christ Church circumcised and baptized without hands as we come through the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, knowing when we confess our Lord Jesus Christ all our sins are forgiven, they being removed never again having to ask, or beg, that our sins be taken away. We praise and thank Him continuously for making us clean through the power of His name, and His blood that washed us clean.

Abraham was so glad and happy to see the day Jesus was born. In Hades Abraham finds out by whose name He will be saved. He then awaits the Cross when Jesus sheds His blood through which He can come into the "kingdom" where the promises will be kept.
    Lot's of Amen's here. That "son of perdition" was in the dispensation that Jesus lived as man on this earth, and no one, Peter or James or John or any of the rest were safe (of course they were, but not until after the Cross). This is why Paul said Satan never would have pressed Israel to have Messiah killed, had he known it was his (Satan's) own death bed. Before the Cross Satan could steal away any that were trying to "hold on" until the end.

15. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Certainly not. A great great question, by definition, is unanswerable.

I have never seen a finer defense of OSAS.

Great question. If someone had thought of this in the beginning, just think of the controversy it would have obviated.

16. StraightAndNarrow

Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Jhn 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Jhn 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Are those who serve the world (Satan) and don't abide in His love saved? My answer is no.

#76 StraightAndNarrow, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2006
  17. Rex77

Rex77 Member

StraightAndNarrow quote
    ------------------------------------
    Are those who serve the world (Saten) and don't abide in His love saved? My answer is no.
    --------------------------------
    Are you saying God is unable to complete the work he started in a soul he saved, and give up and let satan win that soul back to himself.

Not my God

Ro 8:29 ¶ For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

We will be conformed either the easy way (obedient way)
    or the hard way (disipline way)

but he will not lose one.

18. StraightAndNarrow

Of course God knows whether we will be faithful or turn away from him. You could describe this by saying that those who go astry were NOT predestinated.

19. Rex77

Rex77 Member

StraightAnd Narrow quote
    -------------------------
    You could describe this by saying that those who go astry were NOT predestinated.
    ------------------------

You could but you would be wrong.

To go astray you first have to be saved in order to go astray.

And God is able to finish the work he started.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Hunh?? Explain. What is the difference in these words aside from the part of speech, at least translated into English? Believe is the translation of " πιστευ'ω " the verb form, and faith is the translation of " πισ'τις ", the noun form, both from the same root. Let's not make a distinction that is not there.

Ed