1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why don't the MV's keep their principle, the Oldest the Best?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Eliyahu, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Askjo

Askjo New Member

My past posts answered this question many times.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

NOT QUITE!

On 3/26/2006 you posted the following:

Did Keith check W/H's heretical comments in their books as seen below? Overlook....Shhh, shhh, shhh?

Hort denied that Christ is GOD in his book, page 5.

Westcott denied that Christ made known GOD in his book, page 15.

Westcott denied that Heaven is a place in his book, page 15

Hort denied the Second Coming of Christ in his book, page 44-45.

Westcott denied Christ's preexistence in his book, page 13.

And more.... That is enough.

To which Forever Settled In Heaven replied:

there's a long discussion here: http://www.sharperiron.org/showthrea...gart#post34089

n the Westcott Hort Resource Centre is easily available at http://www.westcotthort.com

And rsr replied:

Askjo, are you still repeating slander after you have been told the truth many, many times?

Shame.

(The charges that Westcott denied the deity of Christ and the pre-existence of the Word are easily refuted by anyone who come across his work in a form that hasn't been heavily edited by critics.)

James May has written ably of Westcott's theology, which he considered flawed, but not in the ways KJOists suggest.

http://kjvonly.org/james/index_james.html

Yet you still continue to spread the same lies and deceit after the facts have been pointed out to you.

I doubt that you will ever learn. But I will not stop trying to teach you until you stop spreading untruth.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

While you may believe that, I have never read any real facts other then just opinion by you or anyone else. If W&H were unbelievers what difference would that make in regards to doing good work? Are there any believers who always tell the truth? I have seen many in business over the years who are good liars and people still follow them. Almost every week we read or hear about pedophiles who were working in churches.

Your argument makes about as much sense as thinking that a home built by a Christian is always better than one built by a non-Christian and that somehow the stamp of Christian means perfect.

4. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are totally obsessed with Textual Criticism and therefore you don't know how to distinguish the historical facts and the spiritual lessons.

You are strongly claiming and confessing that you don't follow the Holy Spirit in your life, which was instructed by Paul the Apostle as we read Galatians 5:16-24

How can you be a pastor without following the Holy Spirit in your life?

But you are claiming that you don't follow the teachings of Jesus Christ as He mentioned in John 14:26. TC makes you ignore the Holy Spirit.You cannot serve 2 masters.

You are claiming that all the discernments of the Bible since Moses are TC, which is typical problem with TC obsessed people.
    Nobody in the Bible mentioned about TC. Without TC, I do have Bible and can read and interpret the Bible without TC. Has any TC critics claim that he or she present certain thesis according to the guidance by the Holy Spirit?

The God cannot tell you about the Word of God and therefore you go to TC god over the Holy Spirit?

I interpret the Bible without TC. Even though I don't claim the TC, I still translate the Bible. You are highly obsessed with TC.
    You've never explained properly the "Only Begotten God"
    You are contradictory, when you say You don't ask yourself in your name, while you claim Jesus said ASK Me anything in my name. Don't you realize that?

You don't know the Greek text and therefore you are bold to refer to the verses which never support the omission of Comma.

Jn 14:26
    Parakleitos is Masculine, Pneuma is Neutral, but when it is combined with Hagion, it indicates the Person Holy Spirit and therefore Pneuma Hagion is taken over by the Masculine pronoun.

Jn 15:26
    Parakleitos is masculine, Pneuma is the neutral, but Pneuma is with Aletheias, which apparently indicate the person Holy Spirit. Therefore all the Holy Spirit is taken over by Masculine.

Now in John 5:7-8, the situation is totally different. The words are pneuma, huidor, haima. None of them are masculine, but all of them are neutral. None of spirit, water, blood is the masculine. You can claim your argument only to the Greek-Illiterates.

Then, Omitting the verse of Acts 8:37 is wrong, which is done by the WH-NA Greek texts and followed by many modern versions.

In conclusion you are not following the Holy Spirit in discerning the texts and the translations but follow the human theology, and therefore you are often mistaken, and you make wrong judgments about the translations.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

About as much as solving math problem?

When you read the canon of scripture are you suggesting that TC was not involved?

When will you fly for free across an ocean instead of taking a jet?

What masculine pronoun? Hagion is an adjective.

So the councils which met were heretics and not led by the Holy Spirit?

If the Holy Spirit teaches you everything then how did you learn to read and write. Why did you go to school? I guess you could say that the early church was not following the Holy Spirit because about 98% of them could not read and write.

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your childish argument doesn't deserve my comment, but let me teach you one thing about Pneuma Hagion. Pneuma itself is always neuter gender, and it is used even for the bad spirits too, but when it is combined with Hagion, it specifies the Holy Spirit and therefore it is taken over by He in English and Ho and ekeinos in Greek, and He is Pronoun in English there. Ekeinos is the Masculine Pronoun there !

You see ? Most of the MV defenders do not claim they follow the Holy Spirit in discerning the texts and translations. You are also confessing this point and it is the main reason for the disagreement between 2 groups!
    One following the TC god, the other following the Holy Spirit !

#106 Eliyahu, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are absolutely right about it being a childish argument. I did that to expose how silly your holy spirit arguments are. They are the same type charismatics use to defend their Holy Spirit theology of lording it over others and boasting of great things.
    What you have failed to recognize is the fact that long before you were born and Jesus came on the scene there were textual critics. Not one of them were Christians! When Jesus was around there was more than one text being used. Which one was of God?

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Really? Interesting. So you are telling me that the Bible you hold in your hands never made a choice between two variants? Do you even know what a variant is? It strikes me that you may not even know that.

I have never claimed or confessed that. I certainly try to follow him, but find myself failing all too often.

I can’t.
    Of course not. He didn’t teach me that. I follow that teaching when I affirm the NT as coming from him.

No it doesn’t.

If you understand what TC is, you will agree with me.

So the Spirit never mentions it, but you feel free to make dogmatic claims about it. HMMMM … Who is not following the Spirit now?

No you don’t. When you say, “Mark 16:9-20 is authentic, and the shorter ending is not, you are practicing TC.”

Again, it strikes me that you have no idea what you are talking about. And bluster about how I am not following the Spirit won’t change that.

So if the Holy Spirit teaches me that Mark 16:9-20 is not from him, will you accept that? If you do not accept that, how can you resist the teaching of the Spirit?
    I hardly ever think about.

Yes I did. You just disagreed.

No. This doesn’t make any sense.
    I actually do. My Greek is certainly not as good as my Hebrew, which I read daily. But I can get around in Greek.

I didn’t cite them as supporting the omission. I cited them as evidence of the masculine pronoun with the neuter noun.

It is one of the arguments that I. Howard Marshall (a world renowned Greek scholar) makes in his 1 John commentary. I can’t imagine you can call him a “Greek-Illiterate.”
    It may be wrong to omit it, but not on the basis of your argument.

How do you know I am not following the Holy Spirit? Because I don’t agree with you? What if you have wrongly judged the Spirit? This is part of the problem. You simply do not even understand what you are saying. You are claiming the Spirit for your position, but the Spirit has said that in his inspired word, and he hasn’t said that to us.

I honestly believe I am following the Spirit. I could be wrong because I am fallible. Here’s what I know: The Spirit did not see fit to include this teaching of yours in the only revelation that He inspired. And that is what I will answer for.

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This makes sense. Indeed there are some abuses of the Authority of the Holy Spirit. So, you are right to some extent. However, if you depart from the teachings of the Bible which tell us that the Holy Spirit will lead us to all the truth and dwell in us because of such abuses, then we fall in the human failures and mistakes. When we have the disagreement with someone who claim the guidance by the HS, then we should appeal to the other part of the Bible, and the Bible itself is sufficient for all the argument and discernment as you can read 2 Tim 3:15-. Iron sharpens Iron, and Diamond sharpens Diamond. If you depart from the Bible and go into the human TC, you will be entrapped in the Total Chaos, without reaching the conclusions.

You try to include the Biblical Discernment into modern TC, which is a human science. Nobody in the Bible mentioned the word of TC. Which verse can you tell is indicating or insinuating the TC?
    The problem is that you try to see everything of the Bible thru the eyes of TC, and to claim the Biblical discernment as if it is a part of the Modern TC.
    However, do they really practice the Biblical Discernment by following the Holy Spirit? Of course I don't say that they seldom quote the Bible. But Read the following verses:

2 Tim 2:
    7Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

2 Tim 2
    15. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Tim 3
    15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works

So, what the Bible teaches us about the discernment is that we should follow the Holy Spirit, not the human inventions, and you have to distinguish between Biblical Discernment and Textual Criticism

#109 Eliyahu, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  10. rbell

rbell Active Member

IMO, this quote is questioning the salvation of others, and should be retracted.

Not very mature...

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm not sure that the salvation of any other is necessarily being questioned here, but who is or is not being led by the Holy Spirit in one's 'Christian walk' certainly is, IMO.

Ed

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must distinguish between Biblical Discernment and TC. Bible existed before the modern TC. Modern TC may claim that their ancestor is the Biblical Discernment, which is untrue ! Bible, for example KJV, existed before the modern TC. When RCC persecuted the Bible, modern TC never existed, but the true believers read the Bible.

YOu claimed that you are not following the Holy Spirit when you come to the matters of Biblical texts and manuscripts.

Mark 16:9-20 existed even before TC started to argue about it. Biblical Discernment is good enough to discern and decide upon the texts.

I am always trying to base my argument on the Bible. You clearly mentioned John 14:26 doesn't apply to you and to your life. You confessed that you are not following the Holy Spirit. You confessed you don't believe that the Holy Spirit can guide you to ALL the Truth. I think you have no memory about what you said before!

Your Spiritual Discernment is wrong because 617 manuscripts have it, and this kind of judgment is not difficult, and requires no TC. Mark 16:9-20 had existed even before TC started to flourish.

Such gender disagreement never existed in the Bible and therefore it is a big contradiction without Comma.

If you follow the HS, why don't you extend it even up to the Textual Discernment? instead of following human TC?

Doesn't the Holy Spirit in you guide you to all the Truth including Biblical Discernment on the texts?

13. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What kind of spirit is working behind the modern versions?

The Bible gives us the hints:

Isaiah 7:

8For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin; and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people. 9And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.

Head of the modern versions is the Nestle-Alland, and the Head of NA is Westcott-Hort, and the Head of WH is Alexandrian Texts which include B, A, Aleph, p75, p66 etc.
    the Head of Alexandrian Texts is Vatican Text B which was preserved and modified by Roman Catholic which performs all types of Idolatry, Goddess worship, Inquisition, persecution of the Bible.
    They also use BHS, which was formulated by Gerhardt Kittel who was imprisoned as a War criminal at Nuremberg Tribunal.

By following the modern versions, you are following the Leavens of the RCC which is the centre of all the paganism.

As I told in the other thread, JW cannot stand on KJV.

RCC pray to Mary, which means that they believe Mary as the Omnipresent and Omniscient Being, which means a goddess.

So, RCC believe many gods and goddess, and the Trinity is one of many gods for them.

Minority texts like B, A, Aleph, p75 are nothing but the local texts which contain lots of errors and modifications.

#113 Eliyahu, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  14. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't know how to distinguish between questioning the salvation and questioning the following of the Holy Spirit?. Not very mature argument !

15. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can Jesus come to this Board and teach us ?

Jesus said this to His "so-called Believers"

John 8

30As he spake these words, many believed on him.
    31Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

How could He say to His " Believers" ?

44Ye are of your father the devil,

What did the " Believers" do?

59Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by

Shouldn't Jesus have approved at least that the Jews believed in the God the Father? But why did He say this?

41Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.
    42Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.44Ye are of your father the devil,

If He comes to this board, He will see thru all the posters and tell them transparently about their salvation.

What about Paul?

2 Cor 13:
    5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Titus 1
    16They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate

Can he be allowed here?

What about John ?

1 John 2
    19They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Can any great Believers who are following those great Apostles and Lord Jesus Christ continue to post and argue in defense of the Bible Truth here?

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Again, you simply don’t know what you are talking about. TC takes place any time you have to decide between two or more variants. Textual criticism is “the investigation of the text of the Old and New Testaments with the aim of setting forth the authentic readings of the autrographs, as against spurious readings which have found their way into some manuscripts, either from copyists’ errors or by design” (Alan Cairns, Dictionary of Theology Terms, p. 371).
    Take for instance Mark 16:9-20. Some say it should not be there. You believe it should be. You are practicing textual criticism by saying “That’s authentic.”
    I don’t think I claimed that, at least as you are presenting it here. I claimed that the Spirit does not give any of us infallible revelation about textual variants. So while you may strongly believe that a passage the ending of Mark is authentic, the Holy Spirit has not infallibly told you that, and there may be others who disagree with good reason.
    Perhaps. But perhaps not. This is part of the problem you don’t get. You don’t understand that if Mark 16:9-20 is not authentic, it didn’t exist until later.

If you define biblical discernment properly, then yes.
    Then show me biblical proof that Mark 16:9-20 is authentic. Show me where the Spirit said that, not Erasmus, or the Vulgate, or some church father, or some yo-yo with an internet site.

Yes, as should you.

No I didn’t. The fact that one verse doesn’t apply to me or you doesn’t mean I am not following the Spirit.

No, I didn’t say anything of the sort. The fact that one verse doesn’t apply to me doesn’t say anything about any other verse or teaching. You have a classic example of right doctrine from the wrong text. The Holy Spirit can lead us to truth as 1 John says. John 14:26 simply doesn’t say that to us.

I am sure I probably know better than you do.
    But what if the Spirit told me that those 617 manuscripts are wrong. They were copied by people trying to corrupt the text. How can you disagree? You don’t know what the Spirit told me. You may be like the king of Israel in 1 Kings 22, believing a lying spirit.

You are simply wrong on this. As a translator, you should know more Greek than you apparently do. While the general rule is that the pronoun agrees with its antecedent, that is not always the case.
    I do. I simply don’t consider it infallible. The Spirit works through means.

Isaiah 7 says nothing about TC or modern versions. This is a gross misuse of Scripture and a violation of the third commandment.

Trust me, they can. If you don’t think they can, then you have never seriously talked to one.

The RCC is unquestionably unbiblical, but this is simply not true.

Interesting. You claim the minority texts are wrong, claiming that since 617 mss of Mark include the longer ending it must be authentic. Yet the variant you are arguing for in 1 John 5 is a minority variant, and Acts 8:37 is also a minority variant. The Majority Text includes neither. So if the minority are wrong, why are you arguing for them?

The arguments are you making would be laughable it if weren’t so serious. You are blatantly attacking the Word of God, and saying things about it that simply aren’t true. It is theologically and intellecutally bankrupt. And the scary thing is that you don't get it. You don't understand that.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, we are. We object to stuff that is said in opposition to the Bible truth, and therefore, we would like for you to stop saying it.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are numerous things which are not mentioned. To make an argument from absence is not valid.

That is not true. My point is that God uses non-Christians to do His work too. A skilled carpenter can build a nice home. It does not matter if he is a Christian or not. It matters if he is skilled enough to do the work. Textual critics do not have to be Christians to be skiled in textual criticism and languages.

Biblical discernment is so different from textual criticism in that it can be compared to the difference between testing the spirits and solving a math problem.

19. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

I have some beach front property in Tennessee for sale if your interested? :thumbs:

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No doubt, you must be referring to some 'riverfront' "beach front property" for sale on the BB, 'cause I have 'advertised' and offered genuine "lovely Oceanfront Property in KY" several times on the Board for more than three years. :D

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=41006&postcount=8

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=841409&postcount=4

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1060092&postcount=4

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1271980&postcount=157

I just have not 'advertised' this for the last several mos. considering the Real Estate market has 'nose-dived' recently.

However, I will happily now offer it again, if one wishes to use some of their 'government bailout "stimulus"' and help out the economy. ;)
    In fact, I might even offer them a better deal than I would have previously. [​IMG][​IMG]

Ed