1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why free choice is neccessary

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Brad12d3, Mar 14, 2019.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to take a trip to the potters house... Btw... Who made the puppet?... Brother Glen:)

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is not a puppeteer.He does not cause men to sin and you haven't any scripture to prove He controls every aspect of our lives.You may try but most of what it would be is Calvinist thinking. God didn't make any puppets although Calvinist seem to think they are made like puppets with God controlling everything they do and say. Including all the horrible sins that are committed everyday by people. This would make God a sinner worse than man.
    MB.

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would do you good to remember this verse when you make the claim the lost have a dead spirit. You will notice John does not say it is the Holy Spirit.That's because it man's spirit.
    MB

4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, God does not cause men to sin.
    But He can and does control whatever He wishes, including influencing men's minds and actions:

" The king's heart [is] in the hand of the LORD, [as] the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will." ( Proverbs 21:1 )
    " A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps." ( Proverbs 16:9 )

There are two Scriptures right there that prove that God can control men's actions.
    There are more if you would like to see them.

Again, God is in control.

He can do as He wishes ( Daniel 4:35 ) with men's hearts and minds.
    He does not control everything we do and say as men.
    He can, however step in and over ride whatever He wishes, whenever He wishes.

Mankind cannot stand against God...because He is God, and we are mere men.

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    14 but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
    15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."
    ( James 1:13-15 )

He does not cause men to sin.

God, a sinner?
    Let God be true, and every man a liar.

"TZADDI. Righteous [art] thou, O LORD, and upright [are] thy judgments." ( Psalms 119:137 )

#24 Dave G, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God could control men but He doesn't. He is already doing what He likes. Convincing men of Him Self through His word. I believe God gives us choices to make to live eternally or die in sin. It can't be anymore simple than this. The fact that we all still sin proves men still have a choice.
    MB

6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, He does:

"Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his:
    21 and he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:
    22 he revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what [is] in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him."
    ( Daniel 2:20-22 )

I agree.
    Daniel 4:35.

I don't.
    Scripture states that the choice has already been made and is made every day by men and women who go about their earthly lives with no regard for Him or His ways ( Romans 1:18-32, Romans 3:10-18, John 3:19-20 ).
    It is simple...but Scripture is very detailed, and it cannot be addressed by one "verse".
    The simplicity is in the details.
    I agree.
    The fact that the lost sin proves that they are following their corrupt sin nature, and willingly going to it with greediness ( Ephesians 4:17-19 ).
    The fact that the saved sin is proof that they are wrestling with the body of sin that they are still dwelling in ( Romans 7:14-25, Galatians 5:16-18 ).

7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual, you show you do not understand Calvinist points of view. We affirm free will and choice.

You have been shown multiple verses to the contrary.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither of these verses say we have no choice in our destination

A lot of them do but as long as they live they still can change their minds with the Holy Spirit's help
    I realize that but that still means men must also choose to Love God
    The Lost sin because of their wickedness. The saved sin because no matter what they do they can't escape the wickedness of their flesh.
    MB

9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moving the goalposts...That was not the question he was answering. He was answering whether God ever controls our lives. He does. You can't just keep moving the goalposts.

10. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no Scriptures that do say that we have a choice.

If you believe that there are, then please list some that tell all men that they have a choice to choose God and to live eternally ( not ones that are addressed to Israel, which was under an earthly covenant with blessings and cursings, that only pertained to this life. )

Remember, the Law was the schoolmaster to bring us to Christ.
    It was never intended to lead to eternal life, because it was temporary ( Hebrews 8:7-13 ) and the blood of bulls and of goats could never take away sin ( Hebrews 10:4 ).

If you can find some that are addressed to Gentiles, and that are addressed to unbelievers, then I will consider them.
    But I doubt that you will find even one, because I know of none.;)

#30 Dave G, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to jump in just to say you are correct and my answer to your opponent would be there are no scriptures that state salvation is by special pre-selection such as man's wisdom would teach having missed the point of Progressive Revelation.

Your opponent apparently doesn't understand that there is Only One Gospel – progressively revealed – that all men, as per this Revelation, whether before the cross or after that were saved were saved through the action of faith. The Good News is we now have this ministry that Jesus came to bring hope to all men not a lucky pre-selected few. Very telling that a Calvinist would want to exclude the revelation given in the OT as only addressed to Israel (as Pedigreed Jews). It seems they miss the point that the blood of bulls and of goats never saved anyone according to their preselected pedigree. –then what did save them? – FAITH!

“Israel” refers to the faithful. The idea of that the “Jew” in the NT and OT is synonymous with “Israel” as it relates to the Gospel should be abandoned because to begin with it is only applicable to “the southern tribes of Judah and Benjamin (with the Levites), it excludes all the prophets to the northern kingdom such as Samuel, Elijah, and so on.”

The term “Israel” means “faithful” throughout history as the secular ethnic application is different than the redemptive context in scripture. John the Baptist rebuffed the Pharisees in this matter of pre-selected pedigree as to who their father was:

(Mat 3:9) And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

(Mat 3:10) And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

The “faithful” receive God’s gift of grace, pre-selection had nothing to do with it, as Paul’s reveals that the faithful are saved he uses the term the “seed of Abraham” (that there has meaning!) for ALL the saved and that term is consistent and applies from the OT also and is unrelated to the New and Old covenants.

So interesting to note, how the Calvinist will speak of the “schoolmaster” while missing the lesson that people are not born with the special privilege of being predestined as the “Jews” also believed. John put the axe to that thought!

Even more interesting, one of the Calvinists’ favorite proof-texts is 1Corinthians 2:14 which in context actually exposes that they have not received the wisdom of the Progressive Revelation of the Gospel nor understand the ministry of the power of the Gospel unto all men according to their faith. They still believe, like the Jews that they were specially preselected.

In relationship to salvation meaning by faith alone there is no fundamental difference between the NT and the OT; the fundamental difference between the New Covenant and the Old is it is written in our hearts.

12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, men must choose to love God or there will be no relationship.
    Who will choose to love God ( Romans 1:18-32, Romans 3:10-18, John 3:19-20 )?

Those whom He loved first ( 1 John 4:19 ).

On that, we certainly agree.
    Galatians 5:17.

#32 Dave G, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [
    I first began to Love God when I heard what He did for me because of His love. He sent His Son to die for me and His Son suffered more than I could imagine ,for me. This caused me to Love Jesus. This is selfless love. It convicted me and made me look at my sin and ask for forgiveness. I have a Son myself whom I love very much which is why I know God suffered right along with Jesus through the whole of the Crucifixion.There is no greater love than God's love for all humanity.
    Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    MB

#33 MB, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  14. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree so far.

This is where I disagree. This did not cause you to Love Jesus, the Holy Spirit did. Many people hear what Christ did for them and it does not cause them to love Him.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would argue over the sky if I said it was blue you would disagree

16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    First that is a personal attack and not necessary. Second, that isn't even true. Third, I see you can't actually refute what I said and had to resort to ad hominem.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personal attack! This is really funny because arguing is why you come here isn't it? After all this is what debate is all about. I have to admit that you are the first to argue over testimony. How ever I didn't say the Holy Spirit was not involved. This is what you imagined for your argument. I'm not surprised because you scrutinize everything I say as if you can't wait to argue over anything whether it's true or not.
    MB

18. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I did not imagine anything. I based it off of a position you have made abundantly clear on this forum. It is false teaching.

19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes you did and you don't want to admit it. How's this I will not answer any more of your arguments. because they are a waist of time ,your on my ignore list. Congratulations.
    MB

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not any different, you don't answer them anyway.