1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why [I believe] Premillennialism is false

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Saint of Circumstance, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose that lots of things are only mentioned once in Scripture, which is supposed to be interpreted literally whenever it makes sense to do so. So it does not matter how many times one can find something in Scripture, does it?

2. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your reply TC, and thank you for being so polite.

I have friends who are preterist and I have friends who are futurist. But we are still friends.

I have said before, I was in the Brethren for years and was taught pre trib rap, but never heard it called dispensationalism.
    One Brother (now with the Lord) was originally from the Exclusive Brethren, Spoke on the sheep and goats and said Christians weren't there, and Jews weren't there, as the Jews were not to be reckoned amongst the nations. He seemed to teach a type of works salvation. But that was adding a third group to the saved.
    • 34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    • 35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    • 36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    • 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
    • 38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
    • 39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    • 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
    The last Brethren preacher in our church always preached on similar subjects. The last time on
    • Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
    • 7And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
    • 8But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
    • 9And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
    • 10And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
    • 11Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
    He said this coming was only to the Jews and not Christians because the angel was speaking to Jews. I was thinking "That is a very feeble reason for a false teaching" Another brother whispere in my ear "He was speaking to Christians" "I know", I said.

Afterwards I asked the speaker "Where are the Christians at this time?" He replied "In heaven," That brought a number of other questions to mind, such as "If we are forever to be with the Lord after we meet Him in the air, why are we not with Him here?" and "Are the disciples not included amongst the Christians in heaven?" However I did not get a chance to ask them as he turned on his heels and stormed away shouting "You don't believe the scriptures." He died soon after and I still visit his widow in a home, from time to time.

Our church rules have an item that says no strange doctrines or teaching should be allowed. I wrote to our church officers referring to that rule and said that "We certainly had a strange teaching last Sunday." But I didn't get a reply. But I did hear in a roundabout way that one said he agreed with him.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many recognize the horror of the papacy.

HankD

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so David, it existed among the ECF go back through the forums and see it documented. I don't want to. It's too much of an expenditure of energy and time for the precious time I have left here on planet earth.

HankD

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally speaking but its not a hill to die on.

HankD

6. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I have studied what they believe and I have never found anything like that. I know that Larkin believed that but I believe he was wrong. You could find what the church believed from the apostles to a few years after the French Revolution. I think it is a scholarly work.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Ap...&qid=1507850916&sr=1-1&keywords=9781365493379
    You can also get it on amazon.com in $$
    If it is anything like the original, there are many footnotes, some in Latin.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You want to stay away from those numbers on the Roulette wheel!

8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am always leery of hyper-whatever. "Hyper" is always in the eyes of the one making the charge. That said, there are different camps within Dispensationalism, just as there is in Covenant Theology (which I ascribe to). Even the inventor of Dispensationalism as a systematic theology [John Nelson Darby] wasn't as rabid as C.I. Scofield or L.S. Chafer. Today you have Progressive Dispensationalism ruling many of the non-Reformed seminaries. Scofield and Chafer would call them heretics if they were alive today. Covenant Theology has had its various iterations as well. Of all the disciplines within Christian theology, eschatology is the one of which I remain a skeptic. I believe in a literal second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. The rest of it? I have some strong preferences, and many more "toss up" conclusions. I'm quite sure I won't have this figured out until I get to glory.

• Like Like x 1
  9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't think that Reformed theology agreed with Dispensationalism.

10. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't.

11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the clarification. Sometimes I wonder if dispensationalism is mostly a doctrine of American Fundamentalism, American Evangelicalism, and American Pentecostalism?

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some Reformed Baptist Pre-Mil, Pre-Trib Dispensationalists.

The most famous would be John MacArthur.

Closer to home is our own Dr. Bob Griffin. He has had some health issues lately but the next time he is on (or PM him) and ask him about it. He will be more than glad to explain it to you.

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if I understand you correctly, some Baptist who think more or less like R.C. Sproul, for example, also believe in dispensationalism? I did not know that. In fact, I used to listen to John MacArthur years ago (back when he wrote Charismatic Chaos in 1993), but I considered him a Fundamentalist. I still like him but I seldom listen to him anymore and I have never read any of his books. (Nowadays, I am more interested in systematic theology and more recently Ken Ham 6-day creationism and 6,000 year old earth due a scheduled tour for me to Noah's Ark and to Creation Museum next week). Dr. Griffin is interesting.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sproul ins a preterist. McArthur is a dispie.

• Like Like x 1
  15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for telling me about Sproul. I guess that I don't pay much attention to him either, although I have seen some of his tv shows, which air at 6:30 AM here. I thought that he was a straight reformed theologian. I am going to have to try harder to keep up with these things. To tell you the truth, I try to duck eschatology debates as fruitless, producing more heat than light. But I did find some internet confirmation of what you are saying about Sproul. I do not think that Jesus came to earth to judge the Jews in 70 AD--it would not be necessary for Jesus to do anything except to remove His protection from Israel and to allow Rome and Satan to disperse the Jews worldwide. This perfidious act on the part of Rome spelled the end of the Roman empire in the course of time but Rome was a vicious brutal state that deserved to be obliterated. My personal view of Revelation was formed by reading an old book (Revelation, perhaps a compilation of lectures as I cannot find a date before Zondervan published it in 1971) written by radio preacher Donald Gray Barnhouse (1895-1960) so I probably have a reformed view of Revelation.

16. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see why not, the early teachers of the theory, Irving (Presbyterian) and Darby (Anglican) were both Calvinist. Although one of Darby's early colleagues in the Brethren, B W Newton. later said he thought Darby was a Jesuit.
    I asked my Dad, who had researched Darby thoroughly for years, if he had heard of that, and he said "No, but I wouldn't be surprised, he certainly taught Jesuit doctrines."

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preterism is heresy

18. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is futurism. They are both Jesuit doctrines.

19. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After the reformation the Jesuits infiltrated protestant denominations to gradually bring false teachings in to them Little by Little.

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evidence?
    Evidence?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.