1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I Didn't Vote

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Tim Jay, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Tim Jay

Tim Jay New Member

My belief, is as Jesus Christ's are......not to get involved in politics.

Jesus understood that to get involved in siding with any one party of politics, would automaticly alienate the other side.

His mission was to reach everyone with the Gospel message.

And that is only possible, by staying out of the political scene, altogether.

The Bible tells us that Christ's Kingdom, is NOT of this world...Nuff said.

2. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

You are absolutely free to hold that position. You err, but you are free to do so.

What makes you think that one must share one's political views in order to witness to a lost person and win them to Christ? This is illogical thinking.

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mar 12:17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Civil government belongs to Caesar. If we don't participate in the Democratic process we don't deserve to be free. You can vote without alienating those around you. (I know I'm not the best one to say this but there aren't many around here that abid by this either.)

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this mean we can expect no complaints or praise from your direction about any action taken by Obama or Congress for at least the next 4 years?

5. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not alone in advocating this position. The Anabaptists advocated total abstinence from any involvement with the government. They refused to serve on juries, vote, run for office, file criminal charges against those who wronged them. It raises serious questions about how Christians, and especially Baptists, are to relate to the governing authorities. Here is a link to an article I re-read recently. The author raises some very interesting issues that we don't take into consideration much any more.

Tim Reynolds

6. fluke

fluke New Member

I Timothy 2
    I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men:
    For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all Godliness and honesty.
    For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

I Timothy 4
    Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
    Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron.

2 Peter 2:17
    These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest: to whom the mist of darkness is reserved forever.
    For they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
    While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

My view on the whole election circus.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Welcome to the BB. Jump right on in, get your feet wet :laugh:

I don't think they have to be exclusive to each other. I also think those who don't vote thinking that they won't be involved, are still involved. Some times the loudest voice comes from those who don't say a word.

8. Tim Jay

Tim Jay New Member

My point was and is.....not to share political views....when the issues involve voting for any person to be be put into office (Goveror, President, Mayor, ect,).

Just stick to the Gospel message, as that is the only thing that is required of Christians.

9. Tim Jay

Tim Jay New Member

The history revealed in the Bible shows that Israel, when loyal to God, that there was no nation in all the world, that could conqueror them.

BUT, when they were disobedient to God's commandments, they fell.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your bible tells you to have political views but sharing them is somehow wrong? Get a new bible

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the Scriptures have no implications concerning a righteously executed civil government? There are no commands to rulers or magistrates? And when given the right to have a voice in government, you refuse to yield that voice as an instrument of righteousness?

I'm with you about sticking to the Gospel message, but it doesn't sound like you know what that message is.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, your position is really just a political maneuver after all. This is how you think your nation is secured. It isn't about simply being obedient because it's right, or because you love God.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might be interested in this, Tim:

“To the claim that a Christian is bound to vote, when he has the privilege, for that which promotes morality, and to fail to vote for the restriction and suppression of evil is to vote for it, we have determined that, to vote or use the civil power is to use force and carnal weapons. Christians cannot use these. To do so is to do evil that good may come. This is specially forbidden to Christians. To do so is to fight God's battles with the weapons of the evil one. To do so is to distrust God. The effective way for Christians to promote morality in a community, is, to stand aloof from the political strifes and conflicts, and maintain a pure and true faith in God, which is the only basis of true morality, and is as a leaven in society, to keep alive an active sense of right. To go into political strife is to admit the leaven of evil into the church. For the church to remain in the world and yet keep itself free from the spirit of the world, is to keep alive an active leaven of morality in the world. If that leaven loses its leaven, wherewith shall the world be leavened? or if the salt lose its savor wherewith shall the earth be salted or saved? God has told his children to use the spiritual weapons, has warned them against appealing to the sword or force to maintain his kingdom or to promote the honor of God and the good of man. When they do as he directs them, and use his appointments, he is with them to fight their battles for them and to give them the victory. When they turn from his appointments to the human kingdoms and their weapons, they turn from God, reject his help, drive him out of the conflict and fight the battles for man's deliverance with their own strength and by their own wisdom. Human government is the sum of human wisdom and the aggregation of human strength. God's kingdom is the consummation of Divine wisdom and in it dwells the power of God.” - David Lipscomb

Quoted from: THE ORIGIN, MISSION, AND DESTINY OF CIVIL GOVERNMENT, AND THE CHRISTIAN'S RELATION TO IT

I do vote and am somewhat active in promoting pubic policy; however, I have a great deal of respect for the position you and folks like David Lipscomb have taken.

#13 KenH, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Our right to vote has been paid for with blood shed for freedom for over 200 years, but I suppose that gives you the right not to vote. Not voting has nothing to do with the Gospel. Voting has nothing to do with political party alligence. God is neither a Democrat or Republican. I am sure His standards are way beyond that.

Staying out of the political scene is your choice. What does that have to do with learning the issues, making a decision and voting? I have never missed voting, and right now, am disquisted with both parties.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faulty premises spawn oppression.

Christian's can use force. I require swift and strict obedience from my children, and when they don't yield, I either administer pain, deprive them of liberty or lade them with burdens until they do.

The civil government is the minister of God, and Christians can and do serve as police officers and soldiers.

Citizens in a constitutional republic are part of the government. They are the "higher power," and to vote is the legitimate execution of that authority.

That's because you don't know the Scriptures, and can't see how utterly ridiculous the position is.

16. Tim Jay

Tim Jay New Member

And God standards should be every Christians's standard as well, I would think.

As I've mentioned before, Jesus Christ set the example for every Christian to follow.

Neither party is going to live up to the Bible's ideals, and govern as God wants people governed.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Jesus was silent on voting, because that wasn't the system they lived in.

So...we can't vote because there's not a perfect candidate out there? Interesting concept...

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Let's flesh this one out:

Abortion--the killing of babies--is a political issue.

Do you choose to not get involved, because you "might alienate" someone? Do you choose to not get involved because "Christ's Kingdom is not of this world" and thus this isn't important? Do you not get involved because "getting involved in this would hinder us reaching everyone with the gospel?"

You see how when this is fleshed out, it just doesn't add up...