1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why I love Ray Comfort

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Actually, I believe that woman promoted what is called "lifestyle" evangelism, that by living a good Christian life you influence folks to be saved. There is actually some support for this in scripture.

1 Cor 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
    14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
    15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.
    16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

There have been many stories of a believing wife or husband leading their unbelieving spouse to Christ by living a godly example. So, there is some support for this type of witness.

But we are also told to go out and preach the gospel.

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are books on both types of evangelism. In a way Ray may be confused on his Calvinism (if he is one) as one can't say that only street evangelism is the only way for God to elect people to salvation, however it is a VERY VERY GOOD WAY. Calvinists have written books on lifestyle evangelism as well.

Marks of the Messenger: Knowing, Living and Speaking the Gospel

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

I would disagree that street evangelism is a "good way" of presenting the gospel. A few people get saved, and that is always a good thing, but generally speaking, Christianity is often made to look foolish by this style.

Jesus did not stand in the street and shout at people. He usually led people to a quiet place and had them sit down while he taught. The only reason it was outdoors is because he drew huge crowds, but normally he would teach in the synagogue or in a home.

Luk 4:14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
    15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.
    16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

When Paul came to a town, he also entered into the synagogue.

Acts 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
    2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

So, I really don't see street preaching as being the norm in the scriptures.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was out in DT. Denver for 3.5 hours. I spent only 15 minutes preaching and the rest of the time passing out tracts and talking with people. The homeless girl I mentioned earlier (Julia) I spent some quiet time with to hear her issues and befriend her towards the gospel. I did not street preach at her, I just showed her kindness and christian love.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Don't get me wrong, if you believe God has led you to preach on the street, that is exactly what you should do, and I sincerely hope many people will accept Christ because of your preaching.

All I am saying is that this is not the "norm" in the NT. Usually when Jesus or Paul preached outside it was because the crowd was so big. Otherwise they tended to preach indoors.

But for Ray Comfort to teach that street preaching is what Jesus normally did is not very accurate, although Jesus did preach outdoors in the street on occasion.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am called to street preach, however I am also called to pass out tracts, and share the gospel with people by my kindness. I think it is not balanced to only do street preaching, and ignore the homeless person begging at your feet for lunch. I think that is hypocrisy of which I have done in the past.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am curious, how did you know the guy was homeless?

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a she and she had a sign up begging for money and she gave me a story. Perhaps she was lying, but then again if someone has lots of money why go all the hassle to lie about it? But even if she was lying I showed her kindness and she seemed serious about changing her life. She also gave details about homeless outreach places in Denver which sadly are run by Catholics, and Methodists.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a confused Calvinist. People do not become elect. God doesn't elect people in their lifetime --but before the foundation of the world. Of course the elect come to a saving knowledge of Christ in their lives on earth.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't that amazing? How do they miss that?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John.....sad huh. Why because they go out to people vs sitting in a church patting each other on the backs for being saved.:laugh:

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did I disagree on this???????? God knows whom the elect are that he chose before the foundation of the world. But it will take a time for them to respond as God has softened their hearts to the gospel. It may be possible of the thousands of tracts I passed out, the many conversations and such I met someone of the elect I don't know as I don't know whom they are.

#32 evangelist6589, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never did. He put words into my mouth.

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he didn't. I made the same observation, and was going to point it out too.

You said (loose quote), "Comfort may be confused in his Calvinism, because street evangelism isn't the only way for God to elect some to salvation."

But if you're a Calvinist, then you should NEVER portray election as coming through what man does

Your statement threw you back into the Arminian camp, at least in the minds of less confused Calvinists

15. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In fairness to Evangelist he may have misspoken. It happens. Even in speaking. sometimes we jumble up words and they come out incorrectly.
    as for Ray Comfort, I think I have one of his books somewhere and in that book he is articulate when it comes to pointing out errors in atheistic thinking.

Now, I don't know if he is Calvinist or Arminian or Calminian or Armcalv, :tongue3:

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God grants faith and repentance, and elects his own to salvation. Man does not choose God, but God chooses man. Forgive me but I do not have it all figured out, and I do misspeak sometimes.

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that you're still in the process of firming your convictions. Like I've told you before, you remind me a lot of me about 8-10 years ago.

With that in mind, i was not going to mention the misspeak at all until i saw that Rippon mentioned it, then you thought he put words in your mouth.

I only chimed in to let you know that he was not alone in how he read it.

18. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love Comfort and I am thoroughly convinced that his method of evangelism using the Law of God is biblical.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What more books should I add to my collection to help me in this area? Three of them came to mind, which ones or one?

RC Sproul

Chosen by God
    Willing to Believe
    Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No question about it. However I say John MacArthur book on evangelism Nothing But the Truth is far more Calvinistic and balanced. I love Comfort but Calvinistic theology does not always show in his books.