1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I love the King James

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Luke2427, Feb 3, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes because my love for God is not the same as love for a translation or any Bible.

I lived in areas of America where sunsets over the water were a daily occurrence. I have never heard anyone say they love sunsets. I have heard many other expression use the word love.

[/quote]Again, would you have written that statement if the name of your preferred/primary Bible version was in the title of this thread and under discussion, instead of the KJV?[/QUOTE]Yes because my love for God is not the same as love for a translation or any Bible. People who cannot read and write can love God.

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

That was my point. And the reason for the question about your reply quoted earlier. IMHO, it was easily understood that the OP didn't equate the love of a particular bible version to be the same as his love of God. If memory serves, he even qualified it with statements about the "love" to hear English spoken in the manner of the KJV. Just as others would say they "love" to hear the hymn "The Old Rugged Cross".

I well understand, too, that people who cannot read and write can love God. My father couldn't sign his name. Yet, I know we'll meet again, in heaven, one day. While he couldn't read, he could understand the spoken language. If he didn't understand the meaning of a particular word, he would ask for an explaination. That's no different from checking an on line dictionary, when I encounter a word that I don't recognize and can't figure out from the context of the writing.

My father's situation was, in some ways, similar to the situation that was faced by people during the time of Jesus. They were, as he was, still expected to follow 2 Tim 2:15 using the resources available to them.

BTW..... :)

In a preceeding post, you mentioned a series of technical items. Some I recognized, and others would take maybe 10-15 minutes with a search engine to find the definition or particular fact involved. IMHO, using industry specific technical terms is much different than discussing language change or lack thereof with terms used in everyday general conversation or print. Whether it's the local newspaper or a version of the Bible.

I'm a hobby woodworker. I wouldn't expect the average person on the street to know the difference between scarf joints, butt joints, lap joints, coped joints, and half lap joints. However, if they want to become a hobby woodworker, too, I'd expect them to apply 2 Tim 2:15. STUDY.

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That was my reaction to one who posted that people are getting dumber. Those terms were terms that have been used for quite some time. Some are generic and others are specific to a particular field of study.

I learned what those were in seventh grade and learned how to cut dovetails by hand much later.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Yup... I've seen it.

All the false humility, downgrading, calling oneself a "worm," etc. are driven from a flawed view of what is actually being said in the text. Not JUST that particular verse, mind you, but a combination of multiple ones with similar issues in word usage.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I agree. I heard D. A. Carson give an excellent rule when it comes to this sort of thing. He said that he determined years ago to not preach any sermon out of a particular translation of Scripture that he could not also preach out of other good translations.

That is is very good rule. I have tried to follow that rule ever since.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tell that to the French from Canada and then tell that to the French from France.

The words changed meaning over the time period scripture was written. Look up the Greek words prebuteros and episkopos and trace them from the OT through the NT.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You mean like the feeble old man who doesn't have enough to eat and can hardly walk? Heard that too.

8. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

What's the "worm" passage you're referring to?

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

That makes sense in some cases, but here's where I'm coming from. There is NO doctrine called KJV-only as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't exist. It doesn't exist in evangelical seminaries and colleges. It doesn't exist in systematic theology. The only place it actually is believed is in a small, minute, unimportant, fringe congregations sprinkled here and there. The fact that more than a few of them are on BB, well, doesn't make any difference. As far as any credible theological scholarship is concerned, they don't exist.

That's where I'm coming from. And let's say the TR does agree 95% of the time. When you're talking about scholarship that is very difficult already, like biblical translation, 5% is a big deal. It's not just that the older manuscripts differ, but most of them agree.

The KJV is very important. It was the best that could have been done, and it served us well, but it's time for us to retire it for personal use and serious study.

Let's see, the oldest manuscripts agree with each other in the majority of their differences with the TR. There are many known translation errors in the KJV to begin with. You can't be serious to actually believe that it's unprovable.

And I'm fine with being called ridiculous, since ALL credible evangelical textual critics would make the same statement. You are clearly in the minority here.

Read a book. And not one written by one of the fringe wackos who actually perpetuates the KJVO weirdness.

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm not. But I've heard it from countless church-goers.

Likely from a hymn "for such a worm as I..."

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Some of this is absolutely true. However, there really are thousands of these people. I know- I used to be one of them. Pensacola Christian College is devoted to the KJVO doctrine.

It is heresy- no doubt; but thousands of people believe it. But not enough to keep it going. I figure this doctrine will die out within a couple of generations and be gone from the earth forever.

No, it's really not- and I think you may be alone on this. Even the 5% (and I think that is probably a bit higher than the number actually is) is mostly disagreements in very minor areas. No major doctrine is affected. I think most textual critics would agree with you and me that the newer texts are better- but I think they would disagree with you that they are FAR better in the sense that the TR is not an excellent text.

No, respectfully, this is simply not true. It makes less sense to retire the King James for personal use and serious study than it does to retire Shakespeare or Spurgeon's Sermons or Jonathan Edwards' sermons or Moby Dick or Pilgrim's Progress, etc...

Also, as a literary work, the King James has no equal among all English translations of all time.

Before we can lock away the KJV in the vault of history we need to create a modern translation that has the literary power and beauty of the King James. To retire the King James would be like retiring Cathedrals, Opera, Isaac Watts Hymns, the Doxology, etc...

I think the wiser course is to utilize a mixture of new and old. It is the way we worship at our church. Many thousands of other churches employ this practice with great success. We sing great new songs and wonderful old hymns together. We employ both contemporary music and the organ. In my sermons I use helps and illustrations and references from Rick Warren and from St. Augustine, from John Grisham and from William Shakespeare, from Alvin Plantiga and from Thomas Aquinas. Our architecture seeks to be a mixture of modern practicality and Gothic majesty.

And as it pertains to the Scriptures, we employ the superiority in accuracy and clarity of modern texts and translations along side of the beauty and power of the King James.

Opera can do to the heart what R & B cannot do. R & B may be more relevant to the time period but we don't abandon the power and beauty of Opera altogether just for sake of modernity.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Greek of the NT was the trade language of the day which was common Greek. Is the English of the KJV common English?

Where are the loud cymbals from Ps. 150? and the trumpets. Di they get thrown by the CCM of the 1950's?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Or...we could use the NKJV. I don't think any of the older translations should be locked away. They should stay available to anyone who wants to use them, but their language is outdated and can easily be misunderstood.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You are right- Koine Greek was the choice for the language of the New Testament.

But it is non-sequitur to take that fact and say that since this is so, God always intended for the Bible to be written only in the plain, common, bland tongue of the day.

Consider this. When the New Testament was written, where were Christians meeting for worship? Houses and catacombs. How were Christians educated? Without systematics.

But as the church grew and conquered more and more of the world around it with the Gospel she moved out of the catacombs and into cathedrals. As the church continued to grow she employed systematics and gave us the Trinity and hypostasis and eternal generation, etc... She continued to grow and her music, education, architecture, etc.. improved with her growth.

These were all good things. They mimicked Israel's progress from a slave nation to one of affluence and power. For years Israel worshiped in a large tent. Then God blessed her to be able to build and worship in a Temple overladen with silver and gold- one of the wonders of the world.

Just for the record, I love contemporary music and dislike most of the music that came out of the period of 1900-1980. Some good songs were written during this time, but I find that I do not like most of them. I do not like Southern Gospel. So you might have me mixed up with another type of people.

But we do use symbols and trumpets today. Is there anything more beautiful than a large, gifted choir singing "Be still My Soul," backed up by a great orchestra of brass, strings, percussion and woodwind instruments?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not an English scholar, but my understanding is the language of the KJV 1611 was not the common English of 1611.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I like the NKJV.

I think for pure accuracy the NASB is hard to beat. I like it.

I like the NIV. For easy readability- it has no equal today (at least not one that maintains accuracy).

I also like contemporary Christian music. But what I am not going to do is toss aside "Rock of Ages" or "The Doxology" or "Oh, For a Thousand Tongues to Sing" and just sing "Shout to the Lord" and "The Voice of Truth" and other contemporary songs alone.

I like John Grisham but I do not think it is good for society to just read books written within the last thirty years. We also need to read Pilgrim's Progress and Beowulf and Canterbury Tales and Moby Dick.

A healthy mixture of past and present is good for society and the Church.

#116 Luke2427, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It was not the tongue of the street- that is true.

But it was written with the intent that the common man, who could read, would be able to understand it.

What was different about it was that the translators were not just brilliant linguists but they were also literary geniuses. King James wanted a version that read well- one that had a beauty to it that made it desirable for reading in worship.

They accomplished this- and I think it was a very good thing.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know what percentage of the English people in 1611 could read?

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I do not know that.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, straight off the 'Sojourn Music' website LOL: