1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why is God Destroying Our Cities?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue is whether Hurricane Harvey was a judgment from God. Certainly, the hurricane was providential. In fact, every weather event, from a sunny day to a tornado, are providential. Is every weather event a judgment from God? How about polymorphous light eruption (PMLE)? It is a condition that causes severe reactions to sunlight. If a person who suffers from PMLE is exposed to sunlight they experience symptoms consistent with a bad sunburn. Is that a judgment from God? At worse the answer is that we do not know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. God is in charge of the weather. But just because He is in charge does not mean He is using the weather in an inimical manner. He may have motives we are incapable of understanding. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, it was all good - even the violent weather that occured according to God's own purposes. Violent weather is not a curse, and man has been on this earth but a short time of all the time the planet has been in existence.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nope man is been there right from the beginning

5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only if you believe in a 24 hr day, 6 day , creation narrative and the earth only being some 6000 years old as per the Jewish calender.

One is not required to leave their intelligence at the door when believing in the salvation we recieve from Jesus Christ.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pmle?....that sounds like an air force term....I might have to check with Bob V. on that to get more enlightenment.
    I believe God and His word..

Day means day and the one day in seven Sabbath did not last thousands or millions of years...
    Just a 24 hour period.
    Six Days & The Eisegesis Problem
    for you...listen to this;

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have conflated two entirely different issues. Believing in a literal 24 hour day, 6 day creation of the earth does NOT require a Christian to believe in the chronology originated by Bishop James Ussher.

If we look at Genesis 1 verses 1-3 we see that verse 2 begins with a waw conjunction. The waw, prefixing the noun translated "earth" (Hebrew eretz = w-eretz) makes the word a disjunctive indicating no logical or chronological connection between verse one and verse two. Therefore it is impossible to say with any certainty when the events of verse 1 took place. But we know that the events of verses 3 and following happened in the context of 6 literal 24 hour days. The Hermeneutical principle of Cultural Context, also known as the Principle of Shareability, demands it.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe God and His word..

Day means day and the one day in seven Sabbath did not last thousands or millions of years...
    Just a 24 hour period.
    Six Days & The Eisegesis Problem
    for you...listen to this;

9. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Biblical times when a person fell down and his eyes rolled back into his head it was said the person was posessed by the devil. Today we know such a thing to be an epileptic fit.

The OT creaton narrative was a literery device used by the writers to explain the idea to relatvely ignorant humans. It was kept simple so people could readily understand it.

Yes, God started it all, but it consisted of a lot more than what was written down. Sorry to bust your bubble, but the earth has been around a lot longer than 6000 years.

10. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Epilepsy existed in "Biblical times". FWIW, we live in Biblical times. We live in the time where the Church is waiting for Christ's return and the ushering in of the eternal state. That is the epitome of biblical, Bucko. Just because epilepsy existed in biblical times does not mean that every incident of a fit was not caused by demon possession (c.f. Mark 9:17-29). Unless, of course, you are going to claim that the record of Jesus' miracles is a myth.

Also, I am not going to let you get away with your Biologos inspired attack on the creation narrative. You are going to have to do better than use the "ignorant humans" tactic.

11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Y
    Hey, you can look at the Scriptures any way you want to. My belief (and i am not alone) is that some of them should be taken literally and some figuratively. Either way, I do not deny the overwhelming message they convey and the basic truth's they espouse.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if the Genesis narrative does not teach a literal 6-day creation, the alternate view is not figurative. You need to brush up on what it is you believe. Until then, adieu.

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of today's illnesses have existed since the fall of man. And disasters have wiped out towns & cities since they were first made.

Modern media have made disasters known worldwide almost soon as they occur. Also, the changing lifestyles of people have caused new kinds of disasters to be possible. For example, vast numbers of people live near beaches, thus exposing themselves to hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. Only in modern times could 500 people be killed in an airliner crash.

Yes, the types of disasters have evolved. I doubt if there'll ever be a return of bubonic plague, etc. And other events which ancient people brushed off would now be major disasters, such as a huge San Andreas fault quake.

No, God isn't destroying our cities - He's allowing things to happen, as he's always done since man fell.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry to see that you go outside of scripture,as if you need to Help God explain the world that He created.
    Where did Jesus say scripture was just a "literary device for ignorant humans"?
    Sorry...but this is a statement of unbelief on your part.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Scripture is no.less than the words of life that cannot be broken.
    They are not an attempted" overwhelming message "that you can subjectively ascribe meaning to.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Read Amos 4:6-13
    God said...I have given you famine,
    I have witholden the rain,I caused it to rain, and not to rain.
    I have smitten you
    I have sent among you pestilence
    I have overthrown you as Sodom and Gomorrah
    Thus will I do unto you...prepare to meet your God.

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can always use a Hurricane to be a judgement against a city, but the 64000 question always is, did He use it for that purpose? Only God knows that!

18. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mm.
    You are a believer with a literal interpretation of this issue, i am not. The fact is, the Scriptures are full of literary devices that are designed to impart a message and there is nothing wrong with their use.

Jesus Himself used rhetorical devices called parables to teach the people, reaching down to use things that the people with whom he was trying to reach were familiar with.

No, my opinion is not a statement of unbelief, but an attempt to make sense for myself of the things that cry out for clarification as i see the real world and experience the spiritual world .

If you think the world is only some 6000 years old fine, but there is too much evidence around that says it is not so. I bet you think all those dinosour bones man had found are just fakes too, right?

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe the creation account,as well as the account of the flood.
    Do you believe the biblical account of the fall? Or is it a literary device?
    Did the serpent speak?