1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why is the New International Version Bible translation so popular? What are your thoughts on that?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by alexander284, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does that have to do with what I asked you?

I asked you for proof of your pronouncement about NIV translators.

Again,
    Another of your typical substanceless exclamations.
    I don't care what you 'doubt', give us names, proof.

#121 Jerome, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Misspoke, as did not want to imply that the Niv translators did not agree with the 2011 revisions, but do still stand by the truth that many reformed and Baptists rejected that new Niv edition, and just stayed with the 1984 edition.

3. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sir, do not, I repeat, do not, stand by the truth. Quite the opposite.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You say that I gossip and sin, yet you keep on saying harmful things against me, JUST due to the fact that I see problems with the Niv 2011!

5. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have lied consistently about the NIV for 15 years. You have said the most absurd things that have no support in the text of the NIV. How many times have I told you to go to the text of the NIV to prove your allegations? Too many times. You evade your duty as a Christian every time.

It is amazing that your pastor preaches from the 2011 NIV. Why would you sit under his ministry if what you have been claiming about the NIV is true? Have you ever talked to him about it? Have you told him that the NIV promotes :

A blurring of gender roles
    Women as elders
    Women as pastors
    Women as Apostles
    Women as heads of households
    Feminist material
    Caving to the feminist agenda

He would tell you in no uncertain terms that you are spewing lies. I don't understand your hypocrisy and a life of misrepresentations on this and other Christian forums.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So again, Junia as an Apostle, along with changing how paul spoke to us concerning women taking authority over men means nothing?

7. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must say -- I plan to hold onto my NIV 1984 Bibles and Hebrew/Greek language books. Just as I plan to do with my KJV, NKJV, and NASB 1995 resources. I am comfortable with them.

Now I am looking at other resources for thinning out. The ones taking up valuable shelf space. Too many book stacks laying around on table tops. I know that I will never use them -- I thought I would when I purchased them.

But now the grim reaper "knock knock knocks" on my front door.

I am looking forward to warmer weather to make frequent trips to the neighborhood GoodWill Store. The folks there are nice to unload my car while my dog waits for our next hike in the woods.

8. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just the other day I quoted how a dozen or so translations dealt with Junia (or Junias). The wording of the NIV is exactly the same as the NASB. Good luck on making your fictional case on that. By the way, the footnote in the NIV says Or "are esteemed by."

Concerning women taking authority over men in the NIV... where in the NIV can you find such nonsense? It doesn't exist except in your deceiving mind. It's not in the NASB, NKJV, CSB, NLT as well. Any of your lies might as well be directed to those versions as well as the NIV, and they are just as groundless. When will you as a Christian decide to tell the truth?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Niv 2011 implies that she was an Apostle, and they did make a subtle change in 1 Timothy 2:12!

10. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you quote my post without reading it? You do this all the time. Read my #128.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They make it seem that she was an Apostle!

12. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you use for a brain? Look at the NASB and MLB texts. The NASB reads the same as the NIV and the MLB is almost identical. How many times do you have to have someone repeat the same information to you before it begins to click? Oh, that's right. More than 15 years.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the Niv 2011 more accurate to the originals than either the Nas or the nkjv then?

14. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Accuracy refers to the meaning of the text. Is the meaning transferred more clearly in a given passage? Whether the passage is done in a more form-oriented style or in a plainer manner is up to a case by case determination. You know that no translation is, may I put it, literally literal. The form has to be modified in many situations. That's why I think that the ESV, NASB or even the NKJV have more in common than they have differences.