1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why McCain has the best health-care plan

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Mar 24, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the article:

"McCain suggests that we junk all that. Say you're earning $100,000 a year and your company provides about $9,000 toward your $12,000 family premium, which is about average. Today you're taxed only on the $100,000. Under McCain's plan, you'd also pay on the $9,000. That could mean an extra $3,000 or so in federal taxes alone. To compensate for the extra levy, McCain would provide a $2,500 federal tax rebate for individuals and $5,000 per family, meaning a family would simply subtract $5,000 from its tax bill, the equivalent of a big cash payment."

Do you conservatives really trust that the federal government would tax health care premium and give us a rebate? I don't. It reminds me of the Fair Tax idea of putting a 23% national sales tax on everything, then giving everyone a rebate on "necessities".

The best plan would be to set up a single payer national health insurance program and be done with it instead of all of these tax here, rebate there ideas that are becoming rather tiresome.

#2 KenH, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You're spot on about the Fair Tax. We have long agreed on this. That "prebate" should be jettisoned and then we have a decent plan.

I am not convinced a single-payer system is plausible. I'd love to hear more mechanics of a proposal, but on the surface it just doesn't seem tenable. But I'm willing to listen. I still think you cannot solve a market driven problem without a market driven solution.