1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Should I Feel Threatened by Gay Marriage?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by npc, Jul 5, 2005.

1. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

That might be true in some sense but, in this case, the agenda is to make laws that do sanction conduct which isn't right according to God Almighty.

Patrick
    </font>[/QUOTE]The only thing a gay marriage changes is laws as they pertain to taxes and insurance and such. Just because two men can legally be joined as partners does not make them anything more than a homosexual couple. And guess what? They can't make babies together, so why all the worry? It doesn't degrade the sactity of marriage that God created in any way!

BTW - Did you know the divorce rate amongst Republicans is astronomical? So much for family values, eh?

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I worry that views such as you have might become more widely accepted and lead to changes in civil law that would impact us all.

None of them that would cause deviate sexual behavior - homosexual or hetrosexual - to be forced upon or encouraged upon the children.

Being sinners is a trait we all have. Working against it is a trait Christians should have.

Patrick

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Hey, I can pull figures out of thin air too. [​IMG]

Did you know Democrats are much more likely to eat tofu and drink soy milk? So much for being in touch with middle America, huh? :D

Would you care to site a source for your ramblings, or would you rather we continue with the namecalling hogwash?

4. npc

npc New Member

Which changes in civil law would impact us all? Legal recognition of gay marriage? Or do you think we'll all be forced to find a gay partner?

You have yet to give a reason to single out homosexuality among many sins. I thought a desire to see such reasoning was implied in my question.

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Wrong except for the part about making babies!

Actually I don't know that to be a fact. I do know that divorce is a big problem that effects a lot of families. I won't "bite", for now, on the obvious counterpoint!

Patrick

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Any civil law that forces regonition and affords legal rights to gay "marriages" is a threat to true marriage and a big stepping stone to subsequent demands for more "rights".

Sure I have as have others, and supremely important, as does the Holy Bible.

Patrick

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I've got to go mow the grass!

Patrick

8. Bro. James Reed

BTW, are either of you, npc or TH, in favor of legalizing prostitution? polygamy? cocaine?

None of these things, in and of themselves, hurt other people, yet society has deemed it necessary to protect ourselves from these things. Why is that? Could it be because we want to at least keep some sort of resemblance to family values alive in this country after so many have been thrown away?

The divorce rate among Americans, not just Republicans, is too high. There ought to be more stringent divorce laws. In days of old, one had to give a reason to get a divorce...one of several reasons listed in the filing. Now, all you have to put is irreconcilable differences.

You can see firsthand how the relaxing of divorce laws has shot up the rate of divorce in this country. It also has much to do with what is portrayed by modern society as being acceptable.

Mark my words, there is coming a day when the gay lobby will be suing to have all remarks against homsexuality removed from our churches and our bibles. It will be construed as hate speech towards them.

When we start relaxing some laws against homosexuality, they will bring more suits in to finish the rest of them.

We saw that in just the past few years.

When the Supreme Court shot down the Texas sodomy law gays all over the country saw a victory, so they brought the lawsuits about gay marriage, and then that whole fiasco started.

The bottom line is, gays have all of the same rights we do. We have all of the same rights gays do. If they can't live with the same rights that we have, rather than trying to create their own group of special rights, then they should just move to Canada or Spain or some place which will accomodate them. We are not going to have it in this country so long as we are the majority.

9. npc

npc New Member

Argumentum ad nauseum.

Slippery slope fallacy.

No, you didn't. Do you not understand the question? I'll try to rephrase it: why should homosexual marriage be illegal, but not marriage between atheists, criminals, or people who've had premarital sex?

Prostitution: sure. It's not my responsibility what mutually consenting adults do together.
    Polygamy: undecided. It hinges on whether women truly are inevitably abused in such relationships, and I don't know enough to say.
    Cocaine: no, because people addicted to it have a penchant for harming others.

Uhh, by your logic, they're pushing for the same rights for all of us.

I know I'd become an expatriot if ever my country had a rule I disagreed with, rather than working within the system to change it!

Who is "we"?

10. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

What if all the gays decided one day to hold a
    tax revolt or leave the military because they
    were tired of discrimination or hold the same
    civil rights privileges we have.

I think we as citizens can respect that and outside the sanctity of church ceremony provide creative ways so that they can have civil rights.

I think one would be of the state and the other
    the church.

We would still uphold our church ceremony and deep
    spiritual belief of Christians joined together
    are one.

How can you really deny a gay soldier coming home
    from Iraq his or her civil rights!

It really all boils down to what will be revealed
    in the future and how the brick one by one by one
    is placed into the wall...that these people are
    born that way ..as I said earlier it is not a popular position to take but I believe grace will
    be revealed.

And with that hope...these people in the future
    I believe will be able to genetically take
    genetic therapy in the form of liquid or injections and one day they wake up not gay anymore but again that is a choice they would have
    to make...imho I think a majority would opt for
    the therapy as it is now they feel trapped between
    two worlds with enormous pressure and judgement.

In this country on the civil side and even in the
    church we must protect the minority and the weak
    or those trapped between a world they had no
    control over.

sincerly
    Aslanspal

11. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

No, so they'll understand what God hates, why He does, and they're obligation as followers of Christ to abide by what He says is right not by what we think is right.

Patrick
    </font>[/QUOTE]Where in the scripture does it say it is our obligation to make sure there are no homosexuals? Or murderers? Or rapists? Did God give us that much power? If so, someone took mine and I demand it back!

12. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

That's right, Aslanspal! Why would anyone make the choice to be persecuted and hated so much? I'm not convinced that God didn't make them that
    way on purpose to see how we reacted to balancing his laws with the reality of some of our brothers and sisters being gay.

I don't remember Jesus being mean to anyone, especially not a sinner. How is that a way to win them over to Chrisianity. If it were me, I'd say, heck no! Who would want to belong to a group of self-righteous haters!

There must be a balance. God never intended for us to hate one another.

13. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No one, so far, but you has really mentioned anything about being hateful to homosexuals. You're expecting that hatred to come out but it hasn't. We don't have to hate homosexuals to hate the sin they're committing and to stand firmly against it. It's because we love our God, His design and commands, and our fellow man that we must stand against homosexual behavior and most certainly against gay "marriage". It has nothing to do with hating the persons involved.

Patrick

14. Bro. James Reed

So, now you think that God is the author of sin?

15. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Your arguments make no sense, ASLANSPAL, relative to the issue of whether or not gay "marriage" should be permitted.

Any citizen that held a "tax revolt" should be held accountable for it because all are equal before the law.

Being a soldier doesn't excuse a person from the law of the land nor, more importantly, God's laws. Soldiers serve their country because it's a duty to do so not to earn any special rights or to justify conduct otherwise unacceptable. That argument is another favorite tactic of liberals.

Homosexuals are not "victims". That's the typical liberal line with everything wherein no one is responsible and accountable for their conduct. We're all born with a tendency to sin - born sinners - but it our fault that we engage in it. Whether homosexuals are born such or acquire such tendencies doesn't excuse the behavior.

No "civil rights" are denied by forbidding gay "marriage". That's the line the liberals want to push along with the homosexuals. They disparately want it to become a "civil rights" issue but it's not.

Patrick

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yes, that's how I feel about your comments as well!

Patrick

17. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Demand all you want but God ordained civil government and, with respect to homosexuality, made it very clear that it's a bad thing. It's our duty, as Christians, to oppose all sin while recognizing that we are all sinners. Doing so does not imply violence or hatred of sinners for if that were the case we would all be hated violently. Doing so, however, does require us to hate all manner of sin in our earthly lives. It's our duty to enact, enforce, and support a basic framework of civil law for the execution of justice among mankind on earth. That law can not cover every detail of daily life and must avoid becoming religious law subject to the shortcomings of mankind. But part of that justice is to uphold the basic family structure including the sanctity of marriage and to resist all manner of corruption against it. That's the basis for civil and criminal family law. Homosexual relationships certainly should not enjoy any protection under the law because they are a serious and vile corruption of the family structure that was designed by God for all mankind. That is why God so clearly left in His word the warnings about it and admonitions against it.

Patrick

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, TH, a philosophical question, if you will. Do you consider yourself to be a libertarian?

19. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

I believe that "marriage" should be solely owned
    by the Church....but that separation on the
    Caesar side which has nothing to do with the
    church could creatively give them more protections since they do pay taxes and go and
    fight wars.

I think 2 years from now as Science continues
    to put proof on top of proof that gays are
    born the way they are.It has not reached a
    tipping point but my risk is one day it will
    and their hope is to gain help back from science
    through a sovereign graceful God for help in
    the form of genetic therapy.

I think two years if we revisited this issue
    we will know more ..it is not going backwards
    in the science ..especially in the field of
    genetics..we have just scratched the surface.

I am sincerely offering hope and not fear.

20. npc

npc New Member

Yes, that's how I feel about your comments as well!

Patrick
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, that's not how debating works. If you think I'm committing a logical fallacy then tell me where. If you're right, I'll try to fix it.