1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why use an Apple Macintosh?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Dale-c, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

David J posted an article wishing there would be a version of OS X for regualar PCs.

It reminded me that there is still lot of misconceptions about Macs etc.

The first thing is that people think they don't work with anything.
    I use my Mac in a windows only office everyday and pass word, excel etc back and forth flalessly.

Also, NO viruses
    No spyware.
    Those two are huge!

They are very user friendly and they have a great reputation for quality.

IF you have any question, feel free to ask.

Oh, and no, I don't work for Apple :) but I did consider applying for a job as an Apple "Genius" once :)

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, do you know where I can find a system disk for the first mac they put out :laugh:

Was given one that actually still works - boots to where it wants the system disk. Not sure what I'd do with it if I had the disk, but would be fun to try.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

lol....I have one! I have an original mac :) got it from my grandpa. I actually have system 4 disks i believe but they run the original macs :)

By the way, Mac never used 5.25" floppies, Apple IIs did but they were a differnt system.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

lol.....is anyone else getting a PowerMax.com addat the bottom of the screen? It is from Google I am sure.

Just thought that was funny, I have bought a few systems from them before. Great people.

5. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " By the way, Mac never used 5.25" floppies"

But I was on my amstrad and vendex :thumbsup:

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

You don't happen to be near portland are you? There is a ver y good apple dealer there.

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very close (45 miles - Salem), but avoid the place as much as possible, traffic is terrible even at the good times. When they have a wreck they close the interstates down for hours at a time so they can play with their multi-million dollar toys to "investigate" the scene.

We have a decent apple store here - I need to go down and bug them. They seem quite knowledgable when I call. What is the name of the Portland one in case I get brave one of these days?

#7 exscentric, Jun 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2006
  8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although I'm not a Windows fan, I use it because my family is familiar and comfortable with it. As soon as I can get them on board with a Linux install that they're comfortable with, I'll change all my computers to that.

In the meantime, please allow me to ask for clarification: Mac OS X was hit by malware back in 2004, and recently it was shown that it could be possible to load a trojan on Mac OS X (only shown that it could be possible; no one has done it to my knowledge), so I assume when y'all say "NO viruses," you mean no viruses at this time?

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I haved used a Mac for 4 years without virus software and no viruses or malware ever.
    There have been a few "proof of concept" types but nothing that has really been widespread and to my knowledge never anything malicious.
    basically, you turn it on and run.
    That is what I and many firends do and never a single problem from malware.
    This is not to say this will always be the case but they are much more secure by design and even if some malware were to pop up, I presume it will always be better than windows is now.
    And BTW, you can by a mac min with XP home and OS X Tiger preinstaled from MacMall. I think they are $649 for that config.

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

LOVE macs. Final Cut Pro is great, and it is much more cost effective than using an avid.

We currently use a pc for personal use, but are in the market for a mac, as we speak. BTW, the mac stores around here are AWESOME!!! I love the fact that they have free tutorials, inside the store, and that ALL of their staff is knowlegeable about the products they sell. Big plus in my book.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have never used Final Cut Pro. I have used iMovie and love it. I have thought about getting Final Cut Express if I ever had a need for it. I mostly do audio and I use Pro Tools, which is also part of Avid.
    Pro Tools, IMO is the best for pure audio editing. There are others that are good with midi but PT it the best for audio.

It is called PowerMax.
    I think they are in Lake Oswego as I recall. www.powermax.com is their site and the also sell refurb Macs. I think I have ordered three systems from there.

12. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay! Lake Oswego is only a short jump north of FRY'S a humongous pc store! Not that hard to get to either, will check out their site and maybe their store one day.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

They just put a Fry's in close to where I work..it is HUGE!

14. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a Mac desktop and a Windows laptop. No viruses with the Mac, no spyware either. But I have had with my Windows laptop.

Hands down, I'm a Mac fan! :smilewinkgrin:

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That is the predicament I am in now too, Dell laptop from work but Apple desktop.
    I hope I can afford to get a MacBook soon. They look REALLY nice

16. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I had a Pentium 2 that I ran Windows 98 on and for some reason the thing used to constantly freeze up on me. I had various people look at it and no one was any wiser at finding what was wrong with it. One day I was working on an essay and it froze yet again, I said to my wife that I was totally sick of this pc, so we went down to the iMac centre and came home with a new Mac that afternoon! I have never looked back and would never consider anything else.

I do use a modern PC with Windows XP at work and it works reasonably well, it is not as user friendly as the Mac and as Mac users would understand, it just doesnt have the "feel" of a Mac.

I might well look into getting an old iMac and loading linux onto it to see what it can do, yet for now I am more than happy with the standard Apple software.

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I'm the mac daddy :)

I have over 25 macs..all in use in someway. I had 6 imacs i just gave away to a Christain School. I do have 2 PCs..just in case I need them. I use a PC about 2 times a year. Macs are great for many reasons. OSX is sweeet. Once you use OSX..you will never like a PC again. I even have a very rare TAM. They only made arond 8000 of these and they were for the hardcore macie's

Anyway...i saw this tread and thought i would pop in and post.

I would be glad to help anyone with macs...if I can. My son-in-law just got back from san-fran to learn how to work on the intel-macs.

Anyway..later

james

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Jarthur, that is really cool.

If you ever want to sell one of your older Macs, I have a friend interested in one. He needs basicallly anything with a new world rom (thus built in USB)

I personally use a Mac Mini and my dad has an iBook as does my brother. I gave my old iMac to my mom and she still uses it.

19. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

I have nothing against Macs, and I sort of like them. I've played around with them. But, there is a misconception that they are completely secure, virus free, and unable to be contaminated with any type of virus. The Mac operating system is based on Unix, FreeBSD, and trojans have been known to infect the Mac OS. Anytime you have something as popular as the Windows operatings systems, you're going to have people in the background trying to break it. It was recently that Apple had to release some updates for their operating system to patch some holes. Here's an example:

http://www.frsirt.com/english/advisories/2006/0949

Is the Mac OS more secure than Windows? Yes. But there is no such thing as a completely secure, virus free operating system. If the Apple were to gain as much popularity as Windows, you'd find that there would be a lot more bugs and problems with it being exploited.

Personally, I love Linux for an alteranative operating system. If you want to try a decent desktop solution without installing it on your hard drive, do a Google search for Mepis. You can burn a live cd that you can boot the computer with, and run the operating system right from the the cd rom. If you decide you like it, it gives you the option to install it. Or, you can use a thumb drive, and not ever have to install it. Just use the USB thum drive to store your settings, and documents. It's a free operating system. If you were to put a price tag on it, comparing all the software that comes with it to a Microsoft system or Mac system, this Operating system would be under priced if it were sold at $500. But, it's open source, and doesn't cost a dime. Of course, if you like it, you can make donations to the project to support development.

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Keith, have you ever actually had a Mac virus? I have using one for 4 years and never had a virus.