1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why would God punish people that have no chance of salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by seekingthetruth, Oct 31, 2011.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs:

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

ahem..... :) the death of Christ is sufficient for all. The atonement will only cover the sins of believers. You think will agree with me on those two points. The atonement was never meant to save unbelievers.

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

No, it's valid. They sinned and will be punished in hell. It's valid because we see that those angels sinned and deserve punishment in hell. God never gave them an opportunity to repent. He didn't die for them. They have no chance of salvation. God is perfectly just to send them to hell.

We have to remember the statement in the OP.

The question was why does God send people to hell without a chance to repent. Well, they do have a chance first of all. But even if they didn't, God is perfectly just to send them to hell.

People sinned and deserve hell. I have sinned. I deserve hell. God has saved me of which I have nothing to brag about. I didn't deserve it. I didn't' deserve even the opportunity. The problem with the OP is it comes from two faulty premises.

1. People to go hell for unbelief and not sin.
    -- No, people go to hell because they are sinners and deserve hell. They were given an opportunity to repent and believe(which wasn't required nor deserved) and have rejected. So yes, a secondary cause can be said because they didn't believe, but the primary cause is punished for their sin. They are now going to have to pay because they rejected the substitutionary payment Christ made on the cross.

2. People have the right to the opportunity to repent.
    -- No, people do not have this right. It's not deserved. If God never saved anyone, we would all be getting exactly what we deserve. Thanks to God that He is a merciful God that has shown his great mercy in saving us.

4. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I agree with you, and let me explain my statement.

Yes, we all deserve to go to hell because we are sinners. Our sins are the reason we need to believe and repent.

But, the only way we will actually go to hell is if we refuse to believe and repent.

Jesus already paid the price for every sin that man will ever commit. Again, every sin a man can ever commit is already paid for by the blood of Christ. The only sin left unforgiven is the sin of unbelief. If we refuse the gift Jesus paid for on the cross then we are lost and destined for hell.

The bottom line is that the only sin that will send us to hell is failing to believe and repent.

I guess I see it from the oppisite direction of Calvinists. They believe that God gives only a few of us the ability to repent, so to them it is the actual physical sins that condemns one to hell, and God chooses whom He will forgive and who He won't.

I see it as we all have the ability to repent, but most of us don't. It is that refusal to repent that condemns one to hell. I believe that God will forgive and save anyone that earnestly seeks Him.

I would like to add one more thing. I believe that our lost state is due to the nature of sin that we are born with, and that our actual physical sins are just the result of that state. It is the nature of sin within us that condemns us before we ever actually commit a physical sin.

We all have that sin nature, but it is the ones that refuse to admit it, believe and repent that will be condemned to hell.

I honestly believe that even Charles Manson could believe and repent and go to heaven if he would seek God. I believe that if he asked God for help that God would not deny him that help, and that God would send the HS to minister to him. If he doesn't, he will go to hell for his unbelief, not for his actual physical sins.

Jesus paid the price for our physical sins, but refusing to accept that is the sin that is not forgiven and condemns us to hell.

John

#44 seekingthetruth, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does sufficient to all mean to you? If it is limited it cannot be sufficient for those not made for.
    ...but Christ didn't die for Angels, He died for humans meaning the two cannot be compared.

6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Tell me what you disagree with in what I said. Which area do you agree and which disagree.

It's compared because he didn't die for angles, but is perfectly just to send them to hell.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I disagree that it can be sufficient for someone not intended or made for. I was trying to delve into this from a closed thread here http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=74714

...and He would also be perfectly just for resurrecting every animal in Heaven, but that's apples and oranges. We are discussing Christ's death, His atonement and how it relates to human beings not angelic beings.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

If men are born sinners with a nature that cannot possibly choose for God through no choice or fault of their own, and can only do evil continually, then they do not deserve punishment, they deserve pity.

This is not unlike people who are born with a handicap. We do not punish people born with handicaps, and any person who did would be considered cruel and inhuman. Yet many here believe God is just to punish men who are born handicapped with a sinful nature that cannot possibly do good or trust in God through no fault or choice of their own. This is horrendous error and would make man more loving and merciful than God. This is a gross misrepresentation of God.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I did not add to the scriptures, because this was a question only. I do not know why the angels were apparently never afforded the opportunity to repent after they followed Lucifer and his deeds. I was just asking this to gather people's thoughts on this "scenario".

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

You still haven't answered the question. How is it fair that jungle boy, either raised in the Assyrian Empire thousands of years before Christ or born in a secluded area thousands of years after Christ, be held responsible for accepting or rejecting the Gospel he has never heard?

You have accused the Calvinist of having an unfair God, so I'm asking you how this senerio above is fair under the anti-Calvinist doctrine. You have God creating individuals who never have an opportunity to hear of the God of the Hebrews or of their Messiah Jesus yet are still held accountable for their unbelief. Please answer.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It would do them no good to repent even if they wanted to because there was never an atonement made for angels.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Read Romans 1.

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You're welcome, Brother.

Agreed.

Who has known the mind of the Lord, and who can be His counsellor. He does it His way, and not our ways, agreed.

This sums up God's Righteousness and Justice.

God will save all who call upon His name. Anyone who wants salvation can, and will, obtain it. I rejoice in knowing this much about Him. :thumbs::thumbs:

14. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

I have. Now you explain it to me. If you can.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes I can see why it is confusing. I was answering a question other then what was being suggested. Just disregard what I wrote.

To be more on topic God does not keep anyone from repenting.

#55 freeatlast, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  16. seekingthetruth

After the hatefulness and disrespect you showed towards me in your earlier posts, i am no longer engaging in debate with you. Please stop demanding that I respond to you, because i won't?

John

17. seekingthetruth

Adam and Eve were not held accountable until they ate the fruit thus opening their eyes to sin. Before their eyes were opened they were ignorant of sin and the consequences. Once they were aware of sin and the consequences they were forced to pay the price for sin, that being the physical death.

If God denies most people the ability to recognise their sins and repent of their sins, or even understand the consequences of their sins, then why would God hold them accountable of something they are ignorant of?

This is why I believe that sometime in everyone's life, God gives them an oppurtunity to believe and repent.

John

18. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

I would love for you to point to me where I was hateful or disrespectful to you. But you won't because I wasn't.

The reason you won't answer my question is because you can't. You see it is easy to accuse Calvinist of having an "unfair" God, but when the tables are turned, there is silence. Seems there is one standard for Calvinists and another for anti-Calvinists. Continue to ignore me, but everyone reading knows the question remains and is unanswered.

19. seekingthetruth

20. Grasshopper

Site Supporter