1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Would the More Literal translations NOT be best ones?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JesusFan, Nov 28, 2011.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference is in the definition. I've seen a wide variety of definitions of "word for word." My definition of a word for word translation is one that seeks to represent every word of the original in the target language. So without knowing what the writers of these prefaces mean by their statements, I can't comment.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you feel this strongly about it you should contact them yourselves. Their website has a contact page, and Dr. Black can be accessed through the SEBTS website. But Dr. Black was the base translator, so his work was revised over and over. Chances are he won't have a clue what you are talkin about.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Perfectly Good Thread Should Not Go To Waste

I think the above needs to be repeated ... so I did!

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [attack on an accurate translation of God's Word snipped]

#84 Revmitchell, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the book :Which Bible Translation Should I Use? E.Ray Clendenen represents the HCSB. He says on page 155 :"The optimal equivalence philosophy of the HCSB,then,makes naturalness of expression a priority..."

6. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am WAY late to this thread - but feel compelled to pipe in... maybe I can keep this short and sweet!

Translation is not a simple matter of substituting words from one language in place of the other language. Grammar rules are rarely the same, often there are not exact/direct substitutions, and even when there are - the end result is often rathe awkward, and almost never even gets close to English grammar. And then you are still stuck often with what seems to be meaningless lines of words and fragmented phrases.

So one must also be able to carry over the meaning (which unfortunately can easily be tainted by opinion).

So - literal foundation is important, but it must still be comprehensible. That's why I like the NASB and the ESV.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agreed with much that you posted which I have not quoted. Dave Brunn,in his book : One Bible,Many Versions, has an adjustment flowchart with different configurations on several pages.

When it comes to translation he says:

Is adjustment required by the grammar?
    Is adjustment required for correct meaning?
    Is adjustment required for clarity of meaning?
    Is adjstment required for stylistic naturalness?

See pages 91,93 and 94.

If we call these steps 1,2,3 and 4. I think the NASB and ESV are around step one. Perhaps 1.5. The NIV is around number 3,and the NLT goes with #4.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This looks like a good book. I note that it is just out. Thanks for mentioning it; I'm going to buy it. Have you read it all yet? It looks to be pretty conservative, at least in theology, since the author is with New Tribes.

I really don't think you can call these steps, or a way of evaluating whole translations. To me they are things to be considered for each separate passage translated. And I agree with them, except that they don't mention the times when ambiguity should be preserved in the translation, though I'm sure he deals with that in the book. (Side note: such adjustments are called "shifts" in translation theory.)

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes,I have read the entire book. I own it. But I noticed that the local library already has a copy.

Yes, he is conservative. Some of those who endorsed his book are D.A.Carson, Ellis Deibler Jr.,Darrell Bock Richard Schultz of Wheaton College,and Gaylen Leverett of Liberty University.

No,I don't think those "shifts" (as you said) can be a way of evaluating whole translations.

On pages 136 --141 he has a section Dealing With Ambuities although he touches on the subject in various places.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My concern with "updating" translations is when they choose to not have propiation, atonement etc , theologically based words used, is there any way tohave it so that we can keep those, maybe tie them back into the OT contex, or else do expanded word definitions/cross references to where they come from?

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Wycliffe translations didn't have propitiation. It is not sacrosanct. I think that William Tydnale invented it from the latin base.Other words or phrases can be used instead of this antiquainted word.

What translations are you thinking of that do not have the word atonement?

Instead of using the word justified,do you have a problem with the use of the phrase right standing with God?

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my mind, whether or not you use the traditional theological terms depends on the main skopos (goal, purpose) of the translation. If it is designed to be used as a main translation for churches, then the traditional terminology would be important. If it is designed for study, evangelism, etc., then different terminology would be an option.

13. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting that these "theological" words were simply common words in Greek. Why does propitiation or justification have to be in the text? B/c they are special? Or is it really that we have a sentimental attachment to them? I love the words myself. But they were common words (salvation for deliverance, gift for grace, pity for mercy, release for forgiveness, satisfaction for propitiation, and forensic terms for righteousness/justification, etc.).

Words I think are more important are the theologically loaded words like regeneration or inspiration in which they are invented words or strange compounds.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good stuff above.

The following is from the Fee and Strauss book How To Choose A Translation For All Its Worth. :

The long and short of all this is that there is no perfect solution, and translators will continue to grapple with bridging the gap between the biblical world and our own. The best solution, however, is probably not to use obscure Latin-based terms (like "propitiation"),which are meaningless to most readers and which, in any case, have no etymological connection to the Greek terms being used (in ths case, the hilas-roots). (page 59)

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    isn't this really saying that due to modern Christian being much less literate as reagrds to the Bible and doctrines of the Faith, many persons simple don't have a clue to what those terms mean in a biblical sense/meaning?

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Antiquated words,especially the Latin-based ones are not so special that they have to be preserved. Other phraseologies are just,if not more appropriate.

Hint: When you constantly complain of low literacy rates please use standard English grammar and spelling. Your case won't win any fans otherwise.