1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will a Christian commit certain sins?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you say God can't correct the problem then why do you think we can?

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The Holy Spirit forbids all sin, not just a handful of sin. Forbidding sin and controling a person to the point they are not the ones acting is not the same thing.

Because there hasn't been one Scripture that has been put forward that says "I will not permit you to commit this set of sins after you are saved."

Again if you are going to show that what you have been "learning" is Biblical then you are going to have to show Scripture where it says that your sin nature has been done away with in part and part of it that was allowed to continue to exists.

The thought process breaks down on a number of different fronts.

I agree that you are learning. Unfortunately I think you are learning some things that don't have a Biblical foundation.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Bro. Bob there you go again attributing things to me that I never said. I never said that God could not correct the problem, so why would you say that of me Bro. Bob?

God has given us everything that we need. It is our problem not His. It is a lack of trust on our part not a lack of availabilty on His part. We are the ones that have moved away not Him.

His Truth remains His Truth forever whether we want to accept it or not.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't know anyone on this board that claims "sinless perfection" of the flesh.

Rom 8:7Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

The carnal mind is sin against God.

Phl 2:5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

There is the mind of Christ which is within you. Do you think with the mind of Christ you could rape a 5 year old?

Romans 7:

22: For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
    23: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
    24: O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
    25: I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

What do you do, pretend the following type of scriptures are not in the Bible.

1Jo 5:18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Heb. 10:
    26: For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

You did not answer the questions I asked you.
    1. Do you believe in the death penalty?

2. If so, should a child molestor who raped a 5 year old and the killed it receive the death penalty?

3. Has your church ever withdrawn fellowship from anyone and why?

1 Corth.

9: Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10: Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
    11: And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

How come these Christians were cleansed up and don't do those things anymore but you say Christians today can. What has changed since 1 Corth.?

God says plainly they can't go to Heaven if they do those things, how can you say God is wrong and they can go to Heaven? I really would like to know. J. Jump feel free to answer also.

#84 Brother Bob, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So, you think better discipleship will correct the problem of Christians who rape or murder?

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The Holy Spirit forbids all sin, not just a handful of sin.

I read it to say that God forbids it but according to you Christians do it anyway.

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Amy I certainly don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but outside of the Living Word and the written Word I don't know of anything that can change and shape the hearts, minds and lives of individuals. And the only way they can grow in the Living Word is by being in the written Word, which means discipleship.

Now Bro. Bob that's not what you said I said . . .

Yes the Holy Spirit forbids all sin, but that does not mean a Christian is incapable of disobeying. I forbid all forms of disobedience from my son, but that doesn't mean that he is going to obey me 100% of the time.

Just because something is commanded, doesn't mean it is automatically going to be followed.

EDIT - And I didn't say that Christians "will" do it like you suggest, but I said they are "capable" of doing it. Big difference. I don't suggest they do it because there are severe consequences for disobedience, but proving they are unsaved or losing their salvation are not among the consequences.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

As I told you before, I never deliberatly misquote you. Now, if I did I apoligize.

Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

Please answer a question for me, has your church ever withdrawn fellowship from anyone and if so, why?

#88 Brother Bob, Feb 18, 2007
  9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Of course your son will disobey you sometimes, but there are times that you will forbid him to do something and you will make sure he doesn't do it. You will use your authority to prevent him from doing some things. You will understand this better when he is driving age. When the Bible says that the Holy Spirit did not permit Paul to preach in a certain place, it doesn't mean that it was a suggestion. It means He stopped Paul from going there.

Why won't they do it? James says we prove our faith by our works. If our works are evil, are we really saved?

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That's fine . . . and I accept your apology, but I'm still going to call you on it :) I have to eat enough crow because of what I slip up and say on my own I don't need any help :laugh:

Yes I believe they have, because of an unrepentant affair. But what does that have to do with whether a Christian can committ a certain sin or set of sins?

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Has a lot to do with it. What did you exclude Him for and God only allowed one time raping or molesting a young child, who in your church plays God and overrides Him and gives extra times, before withdrawing from him?

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Now you are comparing apples and oranges. And before long you are going to back yourself into such a corner that the only thing you are going to be able to say is that we are all puppets and God is Puppet Master up there pulling our strings and we can't do anything unless He pulls the strings.

Well one of two reasons. They one either fear God and realize that it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God, or two they love God enough that they are obeying His commands not to do those things.

Yes but as has been shared in another thread that I know you have followed to some extent James is not speaking about eternal saving faith. James is speaking about faith after the point of salvation, so if our works are evil it doesn't say anything about our eternal saving faith.

13. Rex77

Rex77 Member

You did not answer the questions I asked you.
    1. Do you believe in the death penalty?

2. If so, should a child molestor who raped a 5 year old and the killed it receive the death penalty?

3. Has your church ever withdrawn fellowship from anyone and why?

1 yes
    2 yes
    3 No

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

J. Jump;
    This is not suggestions either.

Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

1 Corth.
    9: Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10: Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
    11: And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans, chapter 8
    1: There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
    3: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5: For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    6: For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8: So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans :9: But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Heb. 10:
    26: For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
    27: But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
    28: He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
    29: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
    30: For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
    31: It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

#94 Brother Bob, Feb 18, 2007
  15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

................1Ti 6:5Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself

#95 Brother Bob, Feb 18, 2007
  16. benz

benz New Member

Will a born again christian commit certain sins?

In my honest opinion anyone is capable of any given sin. I believe the holy spirit is powerfull enough to keep us from sinning, but unfortunately we sin. Everytime we gossip, lie, steal, kill, get angry, argue and list of other sins. Jesus died on our behalf whoever believes Jesus is the Son of God who died and rose again for the sins of the world will be saved! Wheather we like it or not Yes that person is saved. I am sure the holy spirit will convict that person of sin, which leads to repentance. If that person does not repent then God will chastise the person till he or she does repent. Brother Bob please stop taking the glory away from Jesus, He fully paid the price for sin, a price we could not pay!!!

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It is you sir who dishonors the blood of Christ. IMO He says a child can't do these things and you override Him and say they can. Just read the following. They were not put in the Bible to take up space. I would much rather be on the side that says the saved can not rape a 5 year old and then kill it, than be on the side that says they can do such a thing and go to Heaven rejoicing.

1Jo 5:18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Heb. 10:
    26: For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, (You say sir, that this is not true), and these are not Bro Bob"s words. Dangereous to say God spoke an untruth. IMO

#97 Brother Bob, Feb 18, 2007
  18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Bro. Bob you keep saying these things, yet you provide no Scripture to back it up. Your I John quote doesn't say that. There is no Scripture that lists a certain lists of sins that says a Christian can not do these things.

There is no Scripture that says a part of the sin nature was completely destroyed, but a portion of it still remains.

You have given this opinionated stuff and unfortunately others are falling off the road of Scripture and onto Bob's road :(

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not

what part of "sinneth not" don't you understand?

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins

What part of "remaineth no more sacrifice do you not understand"?

20. His Blood Spoke My Name

Whosoever is born of God cannot sin...

Doesn't say can sin.

Seems the road you are advocating is one that says one can sin and that's ok, for they are still saved, they are just going to be cast into outer darkness saved individuals. That my friend, is a rocky road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.