1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will the Dems Get Us Out of Iraq?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Sep 17, 2007.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What's sad is I don't hate rush, I believe freedom of speech means everyone is entitled to an opinion. Rush is entitled like all Americans. I don’t see Rush as an example of Christian living and glad he doesn’t represent a cross section of America. I call him the anti-Christ because years ago he spoke against Church and state and made statements which were against Christianity. Jesus said if you are not for me etc…

I am neither democrat nor republican but I haven’t seen anyone say they would remove the troops as soon as Bush has the white house in his rearview mirror. The problem with this war as well as the others you mentioned, how can we win? What is an acceptable end? How long do we stay trying to achieve an acceptable end that is a moving target? How many young American lives are we willing to sacrifice hoping for this acceptable end?

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I am expressing what I think Hillary and Ron Paul would do.

I don't think that it is so unusual for major events to occur the first day of a President's administration. For example, the American diplomats held hostage illegally in Iran were released just as Reagan was sworn in because Iran seemed to be glad to be rid of Carter, too.

As for Korea, General Douglas MacArthur, who spent all of his life in the military and most of it in the orient, was fired for wanting a military victory in Korea by bombing the Chinese staging areas and railheads in Manchuria. As for Viet Nam, Lyndon Baines Johnson established rules of engagement that were against this country.

I am sure that we will have victory in Iraq under President Fred Thompson.

As for the sacrifice that our troops have made, while the domestic population has been on a spending binge of hedonistic pleasure, World War II probably saw many a day when as many Americans died as have died in all the time in Iraq. I only write this sad fact to illustrate that this is still a minor war in a remote corner of the world and not to belittle the sacrifice of the military at all.

However, I look for Hillary or Ron to withdraw their first day in office. I disagree with Rush that somehow becoming President would have either one of those two to have second thoughts.

This is a time of war and it will continue until Islam is defeated militarily, in my opinion. If we withdraw under Hillary or Ron, then Islam will claim victory and attack our other enclaves in the Middle East.

Ecclesiastes 3:8 (KJV) A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul will never be president.

Hillary Clinton will be.

But even an "immediate" withdrawal would take 6-12 months to complete.

Which means that our troops will be in Iraq for at least 2 more years. I think it will be a lot longer than that regardless of who is elected president in November 2008.

4. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would it take her or Ron so long to get out?

Since the political victory of Hillary or Ron would be in November, why would it take two years or so for Hillary or Ron to retreat from Iraq once the political victory had been won? The retreat from Viet Nam was faster than that and the war in Korea just settled into a stalemate at the DMZ if memory serves me. Why wouldn't Osama Bin Laden or whosoever is involved just stop the action and let Hillary or Ron retreat and then unleash their forces?

This question assumes that Ron might win or that Hillary might win since they both stand for complete withdrawal as soon as possible.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul won't win.

Well, cmg, it is 15 months before the next president takes office. And 9 months splits the difference between the 6-12 months timetable for withdrawal. We have a lot of equipment to bring home and our troops have to be very careful. An army is most at risk when it is withdrawing. Slow and steady would be the watchword.

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken, you have me confused now (easy to do).

Ken, you have me confused now (easy to do). :laugh:

If Ron has no chance of winning, why doesn't he get out of the race now and save the GOP the agony of his foreign policy, which may come from a different perspective than Hillary's but arrives at the same conclusion? And that does not get into how Ron differs from the GOP on social issues, which has been established by his supporters, with some attempts to hide the truth about what he stands for socially in comparison to the mainline GOP. So let's only look at the war policy at this time and ask wouldn't Hillary's withdrawal from Iraq (and I disagree with Rush that she will have second thoughts because I think that she and Bill dislike the military and want the military again reduced as it was during the Clinton years) please Ron and the libertarians who are calling for a withdrawal, also?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only electorally viable candidates are Clinton, Obama, Edwards, Giuliani, Thompson, Romney, and McCain.

Why do folks such as Huckabee, Dodd, Paul, Kucinich run? I guess because they believe that, even though they can't win, they can inject ideas into the discussion of public policy that takes place during the campaign.

Even if Clinton announces a total withdrawal her first day in office it is still a 6-12 month process unless preparatory work starts before Bush leaves office - unless we leave the equipment behind.

#47 KenH, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I wouldn't use Rush as an authority for ANYTHING least of all what his political enemies will do. His going to trist thist to his advantage. Why even consider that this is an objective view?

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What a silly question. That's like asking if AIPAC will lobby congress to get our military out of the middle east. :laugh:

#49 poncho, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007