1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

wine again

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Jun 18, 2003.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Right. For some, abstaining from wine will be a testimony of purity, for others a testimony of legalism. For some, drinking wine without guilt will be a testimony of our freedom in Christ, for others, a testimony of self-indulgence and sin.

Edited to add for clarity:

Here are the basics. The Bible says not to get drunk, or to indulge in something if it causes someone who is weak to sin. Outside of that, if you just don't want to drink wine, then don't. Far be it from me to tell you to drink wine if you don't want to.

But if you think that by abstaining you're doing something "extra noble" for the cause of God, you're only kidding yourself. God has declared what to do and what not to do, and He doesn't need your help in refining and improving His commands. Nowhere does He declare that you entirely abstain from wine to further His cause. If you want to add that rule to His commandments, you introduce error into the Word and do so at your own peril.

[ June 30, 2003, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: npetreley ]

2. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    npetreley, how could you have missed the point? There's no "extra noble" points to gain. As was stated earlier, once the Lord has dealt with ones heart regarding abstention, indulgance would be that person's "peril."

Very true. Neither does God approve of you discouraging a fellow believer who is intent on hearing His still small voice.

Once again, whether you abstain is between you and your Lord. And whether I abstain is between me and mine.
    PJ

3. showard93

showard93 New Member

I also beleive that the wine Jesus drank was not fermented but pure juice from the fruit. I also think people say it is okay to drink because that is what the world likes to do. It makes me so mad when they talk about taking ciggarettes up in price or you go in a restaraunt to eat and it is smoke free but Oh you can drink. Don't ask me how I got off on all that because I have never smoked or drunk beer, wine etc... but I rather see people smoke than drink anytime. The Bible says in Proverbs 20:1- Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
    You can say what you want to say but if a lost person saw you drinking even just a sip they will see no difference in what they are doing and what you are doing and they will think they are okay.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you understand and believe what Jesus said, then you know that He did drink alcoholic beverages.

Matthew 11:19 "The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber...'"

Jesus enjoyed food and they falsely called Him a glutton (one who eats to excess). Jesus enjoyed wine and they falsely called Him a drunkard (one who drinks to excess).

His words make no sense if what he is drinking is not alcoholic. If you drink grape juice to excess, you simply get too many calories in your system. Drunkeness is caused by the alcoholic content.

You can certainly believe what you want, but it contradicts the clear words of Jesus Himself... not to mention other passages that BrianT has consistently provided.

GENERAL COMMENT NOT DIRECTED TOWARD SHOWARD93:

I find it amazing that many of us around here get blasted for allegedly "not believing the Bible" while at the same time many who make this false accusation won't accept the clear words of Jesus or the testimony of scripture regarding the proper and godly use of alcoholic beverages.

If you don't think alcohol is right for you, then don't drink. But don't condemn others according to your extra-biblical convictions. It is sin.

And please don't assume and allege that those of us who believe the Bible teaches that moderate alcohol consumption is a gift of God are advocating drunkeness, abuse, or are desperately clinging to something from a former sinful lifestyle.

Speaking for myself, the first time I intentionally drank an alcoholic beverage was when I was 32. I drank half a glass of white wine at a wedding celebration.

My alcohol consumption per year is somewhere around two full glasses of wine. (I generally drink half glasses when I do have some wine. I never drink more than one glass of wine in an evening.) That's hardly drinking to excess.

In regard to the unintential drink of alcohol I referred to earlier, I was a teenager and went to someone's home and was given a "Coke" that was half Seagram's 7. When I tasted it I knew immediately that it was a mixed drink and I graciously declined it. I chose not to drink because I was underage and I've never had the desire to be under the influence of any substance except for caffiene.