1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Wine in the first century

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Phillip, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol. I love trying new drinks in countries. :thumbs:

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

[​IMG]

On April 25,1979 one of my closest childhood friends was killed in a drunk driving accident. He was 21. Exactly one month later on May 25, 1979 my closest childhood friend was killed in a drunk driving accident. He was 24.

[​IMG]

As a musician, I worked in clubs for years. I've seen this many times.

[​IMG]

And as unattractive as obese people might be, this is worse.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You did not give a single stat that even challenged what I have purported on here- not one. What are you talking about?

The fact is that more people die of food abuse diseases than alcohol abuse every year.

That does not mean it is ok to abuse either. It means that this SPECIAL ATTENTION given to the condemnation of alcohol as if it is somehow more deadly or evil than gluttony is terribly misplaced.

I think it is pretty clear that the only people who have this problem are fundamentalists who are stuck in a brief, fleeting period of U.S. History in which prohibtionism was born lasted a short time and died- except among a small group of fundies who hang around and keep the position on life support.

The rest of the world knows better. Christians all over the world for about two thousand years have drunk intoxicating beverages and celebrated them as a gift from the good hands of God- as the Bible teaches they are.

The only significant Christian group to be backwards on this issue (to believe teetotalism to be taught in the Bible) in history came out of the mid 19th to early 20th centuries here in America.

Everyone else has known better.

The Scriptures are clear.

Responsible consumption of alcohol is encouraged in the Word of God, has been practiced by nearly two thousand years of Christians world-wide and ought not be condemned.

The stats are clear. Alcohol abuse is not even as deadly as food abuse.

Your position has no foundation.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is an article that lists a few at http://www.livestrong.com/article/442066-diseases-caused-by-eating-too-much-fast-food/

Joint troubles which leads to a lack of productivity and increased health care costs is almost always brought on by obesity and can be controlled through diet and exercise.

How does a person who does not have enough to eat ever come to have a problem with obesity?

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right. And there are hundreds of such studies- if not thousands- that show that food addictions are more detrimental to our society than alcohol abuse.

Almost everybody knows this. Why DHK and a handful of other fundamentalists cannot see it is beyond me.

I confess I used to think the same way about alcohol. But I'll also have to say that had someone shown me clear stats that prove that alcohol abuse is not as deadly in this country as food abuse- I would have accepted those facts and argued for teetotalism from another angle.

I was ignorant in my fundy days- but not stubbornly ignorant.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It really is not.

Millions of people vomit due to food abuse caused stomach disorders and overeating. So that nullifies that picture.

Less than 20 thousand die each year due to drunk driving car accidents compared to more than half a million people who die to due to heart disease, about 70,000 who die due to type II diabetes, and thousands more who die due to other food abuse related causes of death. So that nullifies that picture.

And as for the bloody face- that will heal in a few days. Diabetes will not. you will not recover in a few days from a heart attack. So that nullifies that picture.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To be honest, it's because junk food is cheaper than healthy food. It's cheaper to feed your family potatoes and fatty meat than to feed them lean chicken and vegetables.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I go to the store with my wife and look at the shopping carts I often wonder if people know how to cook. I wonder how many of them could make a loaf of bread?

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Other than a "back to the kitchen" movement among some of the youngest demograophic, virtually none that you see in the CENTER AISLES of a grocery store could in fact provide a meal from raw materials, especially if they had to have a stake in producing or procuring them in some manner apart from semi- to fully-processed form.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just look at the rich and poor and see what they eat. The interesting thing is that for as long as I can remember my grandmother put bacon grease on her pancakes. She lived to be 97.

Chicken and vegetables do not make it in my work. I tried a low fat diet for awhile and was always hungry and out of gas. I talked to a nutritionist and she asked me what kind of work I did. She told me that I needed to eat more fat. So I eat more fat and it works well. I am not hungry and my weight is good.

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Fat is good food and necessary to life.

The current trend that plays that fat eaten makes fat in the body is just plain bad science. But, an excess of anything is as bad as anything else.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would like to hear commentary on how you keep fresh grape juice from fall until spring...in the middle east...without refrigeration.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Raisins and add water later.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You need to get off your high horse.
    Food abuse? You have got to be kidding!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation

#154 DHK, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How would you explain that over 60% of America is fat?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Lifestyle--it is their choice.
    Food is only one factor.
    Exercise is another. Stress is another. Sleep is another.
    The total lifestyle of a person contributes to obesity, not simply overeating. Laziness is a big part of it. Failure to be active and exercise. People are not raised on the farm and don't live a rural life-style as much as they once did. The are too sedentary.
    In some cases, and I emphasize some, there are genetic causes.

Consumption of food is not the only cause.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

But not alcoholic... :smilewinkgrin:

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Or to put it another way:
    Explain these stats:

#158 DHK, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would you not agree that eating too much affects all of those you mentioned?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.