1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine is fine

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by fgm, Jun 27, 2003.

1. fgm

fgm New Member

1 Timothy 5:23 Paul tells a young Timothy to drink a LITTLE wine for his stomach and his infirmities.

2. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

For medical reasons, yes. For the taste of it, no.

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Grandma's Cough Remedy

1 spoonful corn whiskey
    1 spoonful honey
    1/2 spoonful lemon juice

You can mix it or just take it in order.

4. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

For medical reasons, yes. For the taste of it, no. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm curious why you would second-guess Jesus on this point. Its amazing to me how many people act as if Jesus turned water into sweet tea. [​IMG]

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

LOL! I'm with you, especially since there's no mistaking the fact that the wine they served at the wedding had alcohol in it.

6. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

For medical reasons, yes. For the taste of it, no. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm curious why you would second-guess Jesus on this point. Its amazing to me how many people act as if Jesus turned water into sweet tea. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Mark this down David - We agree on something. :D

7. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Maybe if you all would study the character of Jesus you would realize that Jesus would never give his neighbour a drink of sin.

Here's something to ponder.
    Luke 1:13  But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
    14  And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
    15  For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
    16  And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.

Are you all saying that John had better standards than Jesus? Better check yourself!

8. fgm

fgm New Member

John the Baptist was given a special call to be the forerunner of Jesus Christ.He was the last Levite priest,after him came the Priest from heaven,Jesus Christ.The angel did not give Mary the same specific command for Jesus.Jesus drank wine on the last Passover meal with His disciples which is symbolic of His blood sacrafice.

[ June 27, 2003, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: fgm ]

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My views of the “character of Jesus” come from scripture. If Jesus created wine and drank wine Himself, then it is not a “drink of sin”.

The restrictions against wine and strong drink for John have nothing to do with “better standards”. That argument only works if you automatically assume that the consumption of wine and strong drink is a “drink of sin”. Scripture teaches differently.

10. BrianT

BrianT New Member

No, not "better", just different. It was common for such things. Nazarites didn't cut their hair, as a symbol of their set-apart status. Yet that doesn't mean short hair is sinful, or even "worse". It's just a different standard.

11. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Speaking of a Nazarite, they didn't drink either. Are they better than Jesus? Sorry, but if John and a Nazarite can not do these things to get closer to God, why would God partake of such sin?

Someone mentioned the wedding, which I guess they were talking about the wedding at Cana. If I read it correctly, the people were half drunk before Jesus arrived. The pots were empty, so someone had to drink all that wine.

There is too many divorces, traggic accidents, rape, killings, etc. etc. for God to say, "drink in moderation." Moderation is different for everyone. The appearance is evil, so therefore, I will abstain.

12. BrianT

BrianT New Member

No, worse. [​IMG]

A Narazite had long hair. 1 Cor 11:14 says "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" Did Jesus have long hair? Should I?

You're right. And Christ made even better wine for them. Normally, people put out the best wine first, so that after the people have had too much to drink, they don't care that the poorer wine is used last. But the wine that Jesus gave them was better than the first stuff.

Do you abstain from sex for the same reasons?

13. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Wine is fine...but liquor is quicker...wooo-hooooo!!!!
    It's party time!!!

Seriously, wine is an acquired taste. Why would you FORCE yourself to learn to drink something that is unnecessay and potentially harmful. It is at best unwise when you have options. If your only alternative is unsafe then, drink wine, and it is not a sin but, why strive for, and push for, and defend as though it were a doctrine, an activity the MIGHT be of minor benefit to a very small percentage of people and is devastating to millions of people.

14. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I don't think anyone is "pushing" for it. No one is "FORCING" themselves to drink wine. No one here is trying to get anyone else to start drinking wine. We're just expressing why we're not giving in to legalistic emotionalism. [​IMG]

15. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Legalism says that to even take a sip of an alcoholic beverage is a sin. I am not a legalist.

An equal error says that since taking a sip of an alcoholic beverage is not a sin, therefore, at your option, it is perfectly acceptable to drink in moderation.

I will abstain as long as I have an option because alcohol is not a harmless liquid. Using fire and playing with fire are two different things. To use alcohol is not a sin (by that I mean that if it is necessary to use it, then use it). To play with alcohol (just for the sheer enjoyment of it and it is not necessary) is. (IMHO)

It is generally agreed among Christians that drinking alcohol to the point of noticeable intoxication is wrong. Intoxication begins BEFORE the point of it being noticeable.

Be wise in your decisions, not just taking advantage of what looks like a loophole.

16. does the bible not say that wine is only for them who are dying. Is'nt wine a mocker? :rolleyes:

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

learningthatjoash, The Bible says a LOT of negative things about drinking. Too many to list here. Here's a link I really like. BTW... Welcome my new friend!

What does the Bible say about alcohol? Point and click at those words.

Diane in Georgia

18. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, the Bible does say a lot of negative things about drinking. All of these negatives are in the context of *abuse*.

The Bible also says a lot of *postive* things, if it is *not* abused. Here's just a few:

- Isa 25:6 says the LORD himself will give a feast that includes wine.
    - In Gen 14, the priest Melchizedek (a 'type' of Christ according to the NT) gave Moses bread and wine.
    - Deut 14 says if the Israelites differentiate between clean and unclean animals (v2-31), tithe (v22) and live obediently (v23), they may spend their money on livestock, wine and strong drink, and eat and drink and rejoice before the LORD.
    - Psalm 104:14-15 says God causes grass to grow for cattle, causes plants to grow for man, and that God gives man wine to make man's heart glad, and oil for his face, and bread to sustain him.
    - Ecc 9:7 says the righteous can "Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works."
    - Judges 9:13 says wine brings cheer to both man *and God*.
    - Isa 55:1 compares God's mercy to free water, milk and wine.
    - 1 Chr 12:40 and 2 Chr 31:5 includes wine in the list of abundance and joyful things for Israel
    - Amos 9:13-15 prophesies about restoring Israel, when then can rebuild their cities and plant vineyards and drink wine.
    - Deut 28 talks about God removing good things because of disobedience. The list of good things includes wine (v39)
    - Song of Songs 5:1 talks of drinking wine as a celebration of love.
    - Gen 27:28 speaks a blessing from God of dew from heaven, fatness from the earth, and an abundance of grain and wine.
    - Deut 7:13 speaks of a blessing from God of children, grain and wine.
    - Deut 11:14 speaks of a blessing from God of grain and wine and oil.
    - Prov 3:9-10 says if we give to God, he will give to us, overflowing us with grain and wine.

If wine is so evil, how do you explain all these (and similar) verses? Or do you just ignore them? Clearly, if one is to consider ALL the passages on wine, you'll see that it is the *abuse* of wine that is condemned. When used in a non-abusive way, not only is wine "allowed", it is a blessing from God. Why are some many here trying to rob others of a blessing? Why are so many here trying to avoid plain scriptures?

Let scripture speak for itself. God gave wine. Don't abuse it. Simple.

19. russell55

russell55 New Member

I agree completely. In fact, this is one of my pet peeves.

The scriptures make it pretty clear that it is a good gift from our good Father. Believers are perfectly free not to drink wine, but we ought to be really careful the words we use to describe it, lest we seem a bit ungrateful to our heavenly Father for one of His good provisions for us.

20. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I agree completely. In fact, this is one of my pet peeves.

The scriptures make it pretty clear that it is a good gift from our good Father. Believers are perfectly free not to drink wine, but we ought to be really careful the words we use to describe it, lest we seem a bit ungrateful to our heavenly Father for one of His good provisions for us.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Drinking any alcoholic drink is SIN! Those are words that I will use till the Lord brings me home.