1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Without the general redemptton being true.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 37818, Sep 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can a yet lost person, come to know Christ had paid for one's sins, if the general redemption cannot be true?

2. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Through hearing the word of Christ. Romans 10.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing in Romans 10 that without any concept Christ paying for the sins of the reader supposing a general redemption to include the reader. Otherwise offers no basis to believe.

4. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith Comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of Christ. Rom 10
    For by grace are you saved by faith, and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God. Eph 2

God gives you the gift of faith, and he does it through the instrumentality of hearing the word of God. And then you believe and are passed form death to life, and you realize that Christ died for your sins, but you did not believe it before the word came.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The command is to repent and believe; there is no command to try and figure out before repenting and believing whether one is of God's elect for whom Christ paid the sin debt for. (Acts 20:21) One does not have to have every theological duck in a row in order to repent and believe. That situation should improve as the elect "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 3:18)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You assume no gospel was taught. ". . . kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. . . ." Which is not the case. Without the general redemption and resurrection there is no Christ.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not give faith... Faith is the fruit of the spirit... If you brethren would believe John 3:16, then you can understand what the gift that is not of yourself is, that God gave... It's not your faith that saves you, ITS HIS!... Brother Glen:)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philippians 1:29
    For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake

That is as clear as it gets.
    Faith is a gift.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In epistemology faith is because of truth. Faith is gift as being one the gifts Spirit. And faith is one aspect of the fruit the Spirit. Then there is Jude 1:3. The reasons for faith is not just a single thing.

10. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So faith cannot exist without the Holy Spirit first quickening and providing the saved by grace person with the fruit which causes him to believe.
    In each and every scenario God causes (by grace) and man's reaction is the effect.
    Ephesians 2:4, "But God..."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an interpretion. But in my view is by way of in the sanctification of the Spirit. Per 1 Peter 1:2, and 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the question not answered.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume no such thing. That is what the Apostle Paul did was go around preaching the gospel.

There is no "general redemption". Christ died for His sheep. He said so. Christ did not die for the goats. He did not say that died for the goats. He pointedly said that He died for His sheep.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a matter totally up to God's sovereign will.

Matthew 13:11 Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

John 6:69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Luke 1:76-79 And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest:
    For thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;
    To give knowledge of salvation unto his people
    By the remission of their sins,
    Through the tender mercy of our God;
    Whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,
    To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
    To guide our feet into the way of peace.

So to answer your question, "How can a yet lost person, come to know Christ had paid for one's sins?"

It is God! It is God! It is God!

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does anyone know Christ paid for one's sins from Scripture? Given there being no general redemption.

16. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you not read??? Of course you can, otherwise you wouldn't respond here.

*1 Peter 1:3-9*

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

That glorious gift of faith causes us to believe and to persevere. God particularly chose you and keeps you. Have some faith 37. God tells you. He speaks to you in His word. You know this.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have tried to explain it to you. I think that regardless of what I say that you will just respond the same way time after time after time. So I will leave this discussion. Have a nice evening.

18. unprofitable

unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may be missing the point as I sometimes do but:

1 Jn 3:14- We KNOW we have passed from death unto life (is saved, Christ paying for our sins) because WE LOVE THE BRETHREN (one another joined under the new coventant). He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. (Does not abide in Christ). Jn 15:4-5

Jn 15:12- This is my commandment (to you as brethren Mt 23:8), That ye (as brethren) love one another, as I have loved you.

Lu 8:21- ...My mother and (my brethren) are these who heareth the word of God (covenant) AND do it. (Jer 11:6, Jn 3:16))

Jn 14:21- He that hath my commandments (covenant) and keepeth them (do them) he it is that loveth me (is saved) and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father (is saved) and I will love him (is saved) and will manifest myself unto him. Eph 3:10, Jn 17:3)

Jn 17:9- I pray for them (the brethren), I pray NOT for the world, but for them which thou hast given me (the brethren)

All the above is about the body of Christ and can only be kept by a body of Christ. There is nothing general about the salvation listed above.

#18 unprofitable, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  19. unprofitable

unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 15:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to TAKE OUT OF THEM a people (nation) for his name. Not a general redemption.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does not answer the question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.