1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Withyism

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by UZThD, Jan 10, 2005.

1. UZThD

UZThD New Member

No, that is not some "esoteric" eschatological scheme, nor the occult (maybe) nor a cult (maybe). It is a bit of my past.

There was in a Baptist church 45 years ago a layman , Mr. Withy. He knew, he thought, everything about prophecy. But no one in church seemed to respect the vastness and the virtue of his knowledge.

How to have himself affirmed? That was the problem. But Mr. Withy fixed that by becoming "Dr." Withy!

He walked into church all 5' 2" of him one morning and his dutiful 6' 2" wife at his side beamingly announced, "He ordered his doctorate last week and it arrived , so, he is a Doctor of Theology."

Feeling that his skills or his knowledge were already at doctoral level, Withy was convinced that there was no problem in buying his doc for $300.

Withy later left the church , and no doubt in his new locale introduced himself as "Dr." Withy. Affirmed at last!

Even at that time being a nineteen year old highschool dropout and a freshman on a trial basis in a Bible college because of that, my gut told me that something was very wrong here.

I determined to earn with God's help any academic degrees I received by completing all that is normally connected with getting those degrees : not do just half or just do a little or do none.

I decided to be neither a Withy nor a half Withy.

Still, there is a danger in doing all that is normally expected. The danger is pride.

IMO , the danger is not in becoming proud as long as one daily confess that God's grace is required to know God and surrenders daily to the Lord.

No, IMO, the danger is that others suppose that one must be proud because he opted to do all that is expected.

That's the mystery: do less and show humility, do more and be thought proud.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hey Bill,

That's great---"Dr." Withy. . . and also a sad commentary.

Really, "pride" plays no favorites. Many who don't have a degree have pride in the fact that they've received their education from the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. Others are proud that they've had their ministry validated with a degree from an institution which prides itself on not having any secularists accredit their endeavor. And the fact that most of their professors received their terminal degree from that same school further shows the "purity" of said insititution. And still others can be proud that they didn't take any shortcuts but, indeed, paid the price to earn a legitimate degree.

When we realize that the sovereign God alone makes us to differ from one another, we will find there is no place for pride. To Him alone is the glory.

Nevertheless, neither pride nor humility are the issue with theological training. The ministry to which God has called us requires that we receive the most rigorous training we can get. It's not a matter of pride---it's a matter of integrity.

Bill

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Nice article,but now you've made me curious.I'll come back later and tell you what I've learned.

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Good. I'll be curious to know what you've learned.

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

It strikes me that accusations of pride toward those who endeavor to obtain more rigorous training are often excuses offered by some seeking to mask their indolence.

Bill

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Bill

I can be indolent about God too.

I have applied to bring a paper to the ETS NW meeting in March on Trinal relationships. I suppose my application probably will not be accepted as I think there are likely many applicants. Still, what I should be doing right now is beginning to write that paper(based on the dissertation) !

Also in Feb , I have a four hour class session to teach in Sacramento on Christology as a guest lecturer (that day only) to a seminary MA/MDiv Systematic Theology class. While that preparation is mostly done, I should be putting the finishing touches on that.

I should not let myself think that I can relax now that the dissertation is done. I don't have time left to just relax.

I can be very indolentabout God's work. In 1968 I finished the MA in Theology at Point Loma Nazarene Univ (then Pasadena Coll). I was offered the pastorate at a beautiful little church in Orange County. Instead I choose public education over God's service as a pastor. I think that was indolent.

I guess that act caused a fracture in my relationship with Himfrom 68-88. I was indolent for God all those years! So, I've used up all the indolence I should!

Then in '88 He brought me back. By '90 I was wanting to study more. I attended Western 90-94 .
    Then, when I began to teach less, I entered first the Trinity PhD, then later the the ACCS DMin. Being disatisfied with these, I began Unizul studies in April of 02. That will culminate in May, 05.

As I now am nearly 65, I don't want to waste anymore time being indolent about God. I guess that is why I am sensitive when any interpret my effort to avoid being indolent about God as instead being prideful about myself or being not practical about living.

Bill

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

Bill,

This issue of what is practical and what is not betrays the attitude that what one thinks is not important, but what one accomplishes in a measurable fashion is important.

Consequently, higher education is seen in a utilitarian perspective. I choose a major in order to be trained to get a well-paying job in order to support myself and my family. I am considered successful because of how many persons join my church, how large is my church's budget, how many baptisms we've had, etc.

We don't think deeply because thinking is not valued. Theological and philosophical issues over which men and women struggled in ages past are now construed as unimportant.

You rightly observed earlier that little could be more practical than an issue of Christology. Unfortunately, that's not deemed important to our shallow age, and little is more shallow than contemporary evangelicalism. Christianity is reduced to making a decision for Christ and getting others to follow suit.

We all fight indolence, for certain. I, for one, appreciate your effort to be engaged in such important work at an age when most are ready to sit back and relax until they die.

Bill

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Bill

Thanks for that understanding and those kind words.

Bill

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

Learn anything yet that you wish to share?

11. Plain Old Bill

Dear UzThd,
    Yup, the good DR. Withy spent $200 dollars more than he had to.In addition to that he could have went to one particular site a recieved a Phd for free and told them what he wanted it tio say.These sites are all over the place.Not only that some of these places have figured out how to make the degree legal and register it internationally so the person recieving the fake degree would be legally entitled to use the phony degree with the BS,MS,or Phd after thier name.They would also provide transcripts.

Dr. Withy will live forever in my mind.What a crack up.

12. UZThD

UZThD New Member

13. Plain Old Bill

You may have a point. How much work did the good Dr. Withy have to produce?

On occasion I do think, but only when it suits me.

14. UZThD

UZThD New Member