1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Witnessing with a New World Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Mar 14, 2021.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have become more and more convinced that confrontational and hateful rhetoric towards Bible versions and the people who use them -- even those versions I consider bad to the extreme and way off the beam -- can easily turn counterproductive. This is a matter on which I have changed and progressed over the years. (That does not mean I think we should never in any context point out problematic things about bad translations.)

So, on toward my story. First, if any of you are unaware, the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures is a translation made by the “New World Bible Translation Committee” of the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watchtower Society. It is probably one of the earlier (1950/1961) efforts of a denomination to produce a translation of the Bible that agrees with their own doctrine. On the other hand, I think even the NWT might likely contain enough of the word of God under the Holy Spirit to convict those who hold it in esteem, especially if someone guides them (Acts 8:31).

Now the story. Several years ago an older gentleman stopped by my house from the Jehovah's Witness Hall in our county seat town. Turns out he was from a large family with a long history in the eastern part of our county, and western part of the adjoining. I knew people he was related to, some of them who were Baptist ministers. Long story short, with those connections and my respect for the older generation, we sort of hit it off. We talked about biblical subjects and related Jehovah's Witness matters. (I never told him I was a preacher.) He said he enjoyed the visit and would like to come back and talk about the Bible. I said I would be glad for him to do so. He came back a couple of more times, and we discussed biblical things. I wouldn't say I ever made any headway, but we had polite and interesting discussions. However, on his third visit at one point I pretty sternly told him that it was quite convenient for them to translate the Bible themselves so it would mean what they wanted it to say. He never came back. I think at the first I felt sort of self-congratulatory about that, as in that he was obviously wrong if he couldn't take it. Over time and on reflection, I came to feel the Lord's witness would have been much better served had I looked into the NWT that I have had since Junior High (a JW friend gave it to me), and witnessed to him about the Lord from their translation rather than trying to discredit their translation. (Not that it doesn't deserve discrediting, but that could have waited until the right context.)

Have any of you ever witnessed to a Jehovah Witness using the New Word Translation? Is it possible? Is it credible? Agree or disagree with the idea? Agreers, any advice or suggestions?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. PeacefulLove

PeacefulLove New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is possible. My stepdaughters were raised JW and praise God they are now saved. BUT...yes, you can witness using their NWT. There's a new edition out that I don't have, I have a copy of an older edition...but there is the passages in Revelation about the Alpha and Omega...there are others. YouTube has a wonderful assortment of videos on this subject. I'll try to do a little digging this week and post the links here. Hopefully by Friday.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PeacefulLove, amen, praise the Lord that he has saved and delivered your stepdaughters! I have some relatives who are in a false religion (not JW) that I pray also will be saved.

Thanks for the information. I had expected that the NWT had been updated since my friend gave me one (probably in the late 1960s-early 1970s, I think). The JWs have the NWT online on their website, but I have not compared it to what I have. I look forward to any other information you find.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its better though to use their own Kingdom Greek interlinear, as that still has some passage not corrupted and twisted as they did in the NWT!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For example, their interlinear itself states that Thomas called Jesus the Lord and God of me!

6. Bassoonery

Bassoonery Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, although I don't have actual experience in the area. I was going to say on the other thread about the RC Bibles that I would draw the line at using a truly corrupted version like the NWT even if it were the only one available (a desert island situation!), but changed my mind upon realising it could be helpful to guide someone through it while explaining any places which are in error. After all, we ought to have enough Scripture written on our hearts already to be able to share without a Bible to hand. I’ll be the first to admit I fall far short of that standard though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why their own Kingdom Interlinear fais them, as still has places in it where Jesus is called God!

8. obadiahrobinson

obadiahrobinson New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their Kingdom Interlinear can be useful. But the interlinear that was bought,by the JW. organization was the 1864 Emphatic Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson and is a more accurate Greek to English interlinear translation. Benjamin Wilson was of the Christadelphians which are considered unitarian in their theology.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did I miss this?

yes, I have

I used the green one for a while

in regards to “Jesus is a god”

the answer back to them should be “ok, is Jesus a true God, or a false God”?

Then ask them to explain.

stay on that subject for a while

I actually spent a month in Ephesians Chapter 1 and saw it unravel the apprentice over that time

• Like Like x 2