1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Witnessing

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Sherrie, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Do you set a paticular time aside for just witnessing? And If so, how do you witness in this paticular time? Do you use tools in your witness?

Sherrie

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No isolated time.

Colossians 4 says to pray without ceasing so that you might be ready to respond to EACH person with the right words "seasoned as it were with salt".

Ephesians 6 instructs us to "pray for an open door for the word that we might speak bodly as God would have us to do".

Bascially - God is the "Evangelist" -- Convicting the World of Sin and Righteousness and Judgement - we are the servants in His employ and it is through STARTING the day in prayer claiming the promises above - that the "assignments are handed out".

So instead of our opening a slot in our own schedule where God can have a shot at witnessing to others through us (which I know is not what you are suggesting) - the model I see is one of starting out by asking your employer for the day's assignment.

In Christ,

Bob

3. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Bob,

I agree that we should take every opportunity to witness for the Lord and we should seek to witness on a daily basis.

However most Churches where I live have one evening per week set aside for outreach work. This involves a team of volunteers knocking doors in the local area.

I am also involved in tract distribution work on saturday afternoons, I try to keep this time free specifically to do this work.

Obviously these times for outreach work are preceded by prayer and the work/workers are prayed for in the Church prayer meeting.

Are you suggesting that it is wrong for us to set these special times aside for witnessing?

God Bless

Enda

4. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Great topic. I agree with the above two posters that witnessing ought to be a way of life.
    I know that the Lord may have someone for me to witness at any time and any place I go. I always carry tracts in my wallet and I have a Bible in my van.

Sometimes I specifically pray before going somewhere, (like shopping,) for the Lord to give me a witness opportunity and I ask for Him to fill me with His Spirit and that I may have the right words to say to that person.

Personally I have found that God uses me in spite of myself, though. It seems the times I least want to witness or have not prayed about it someone will approach me.

5. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I think that statement was and is so true for me too.

Sherrie

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sister Sherrie,

I find the best particular time to witness is any time--just be ready! Think about it and when the occasion comes up--be ready and jump on the situation. I was at the Cracker Barrel with a bunch of preachers not long ago--we had a table there and as always I(your buddy) was "cuttin' up!"--Well, the Holy Spirit was gettin' me ready to witness to the little waitress--she kept comin' by fillin' up my coffee cup--perfect opportunity--Bingo!--Just be ready "in season and out" I've went and sat down on those little benches inside Wal-Mart--see someone else sittin there--and strike up a conversation--not much, just a "How's the weather!" type stuff to get things goin' and then let the blessed Holy Spirit guide on down the line!

PS--I know you'll take those opportunities!! God bless your heart, Sister!

Your Southern Baptist preachin' buddy!
    Blackbird

7. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

You sure we are not related blackbird. I too go sit on those benches at wal-mart and start up talking. I find myself tho no longer sitting at the benches, and just wondering around in the store and talking. We live in a small town, where everybody knows everybodies name. So it is easy to do. Grocery store is the same way.

I like going to the hospital and doing some witnessing there. I have a much easier time talking with strangers than I do with those I know. I still try tho.

But I was wondering about church too. Is there an outreach for witnessing in your church? And how does it work for you? Who do you go to? People who use to attend, one timers, childrens parents, Visitors cards etc.. Does your church use tracks?

Sherrie

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think it is great that your church provides weekly organized functions for outreach.

There are others that schedule focused outreach "organized functions" such as revivals and evangelistic meetings where special topics are mailed out to the community and people are invited in to learn about some topic that appeals to the unchurched.

As it turns out - the Seventh-day Adventist church has been rated as the leader in reaching the unchurched in America and one of the key ways they do that is through prophecy seminars on Daniel and Revelation.

Not that SDAs wrote those books - but there does seem to be a lot of interest in them among the unchurched.

In Christ,

Bob

9. Singer

Singer New Member

Bob Ryan,

Can you witness without eventually referring to or inviting association
    within the SDA?

Being unchurched, I don't have the hangup of explaining what
    "church" I attend.....therefore being unbiased in my promotion
    of Jesus Christ.

Our duty is to "Go and Tell" and let the Holy Spirit do the leading after
    the fact.

I'm not concerned that those seeking the rest that the Lord
    promised are in need of any denominational gesturing. As
    you see, that is the hangup of the content on this board and
    all other forums. It is also the hangup of the real unity in
    Jesus Christ.

"Whosoever believes in Me............." does not have a sign on his front lawn.

Singer

10. Singer

Singer New Member

11. Singer

Singer New Member

Bob Ryan,

Can you at least take a stab at answering this:

Can you witness without eventually referring to or inviting association
    within the SDA?

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Do you set a paticular time aside for just witnessing?
    No. I figure the Holy Spirit will let me know when it's time.

...how do you witness in this paticular time?
    I'm lousy at witnessing with my words. But I'm good at witnessing by my actions.

Do you use tools in your witness?
    I like to think that how I live my life is an effective tool, but I suppose that's up to God to decide how to use my imperfect abilities.