1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Witnessing

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Servent, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Servent

Servent Member

It was said in another forum that it takes a wise person to win souls. (Mission/Witnessing forum)

I believe it takes a willing heart (along with some training) I would like to know your thoughts on this.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I feel that it takes:
    1) the Holy Spirit convicting a person of their guilt
    2) The challenge of the Good News
    3) Some training probably helps ...

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

It is definately the Holy Spirit that saves a man. However, a person should be skilled and trained on how to effectively present the gospel. The plan of salvation is the most important thing we offer as Christians. We should not be flippant or unlearned while presenting it. If we are not prayed up and know where we are going and ineptly give the gospel we could do more damage than good. Remember that Paul had to be taught before he lead the gentiles to Christ.

4. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Moses wasn't a well educated man, yet he lead God's people out of bondage. A simple uneducated man could part the sea.

I think it takes someone whose heart is open to God's guidance and who has great love for everyone. Witnessing is not for only the educated and trained. That's a misconception, an opinion, if you will. ANYONE can witness effectively. All it takes is love and desire to do what God has called us to do..share the Word!

If anyone has ever asked you why you are so happy or why you have such peace..It opens a huge opportunity for you to share your testimony.
    I started with Romans 10:9 and it grew from there.

Simple and sweet. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be a leader, just someone with a willing heart.

Just sharing my 2 cents worth. I'm not a rocket scientist, I'm not well educated. Still, I do have plenty of love and the desire and share God with anyone who's willing to hear it.

1 cor 1:26-29 Wouldn't these verses apply too?

This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

5. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

ok, so I must be having one of my moments, cause I left out the GOOD part of my reasons about witnessing..
    1cor2:1-5

6. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

Well Said Mommy

Training is good... and we all need to be trained...

However, in my experience it the new babe in Christ that wins the most souls.

Think on this... how many first time grandparents have you seen NOT talk about their grandbaby?

If you love someone... you will talk about that someone.

Please do not jump on me about lack of training I believe in training.

But it does take a willingness to get involved and tell others.

God Bless

7. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Amen!

And as a bonus..my own YIPPY SKIPPY!:)

8. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Mommyperson: Moses wasn't a well educated man, yet he lead God's people out of bondage. A simple uneducated man could part the sea.

Please don't think that I am implying that you need to be a theologin to be a soul winner. Moses was moved by God as what to say. You don't have to be highly educated to know where to find 5-10 verses in your bible. You are right that you need a heart for it and to think that you need no preparation only the spirit of God is a little narrow minded.

Yes new Christians lead people to Christ. Usually they put them in touch with someone skilled in soul winning or bring them to church where they get saved under the preaching.

The Holy spirit using God's word is what saves a man. The great commission tells us to teach. A couple of hours to mark the verses in your bible are all that is needed besides prayer. To be effective you do need a little preparation.

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Actually Moses was a very well educated man.He was the adoptive son of pharoh's daughter.He also wrote the first 5 books of the Bible.I think Moses may have had a speach problem of some kind though.
    All of that aside though.
    When we witness or do personal evangelism that is good,following the instrucions of the Great commission.The Bible does say "He who winneth souls is wise", so I think it is okay to call it soul winning, although we are just doing the introducing it is The Holy Spirit that does the convicting and converting.

You can get and excellant book on Soul Winning called Successful Soul Winning by Stephen Olford that should help you.Your local Bible Bookstore will order it for you if one is not on hand.

May God bless you and your efforts bringing the lost to Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

10. Servent

Servent Member

I have witnessed to many people over the past few years, I alway's try to make sure in a kind way that person understands that they are a sinner fallen from grace before I share the good news, I find that it helps them understand more the need they have for a saviour.
    I also have found that if the holy spirit is not working in there heart it does not matter what you say, If the the holy spirit is working in there heart it dose'nt matter what you say,After all God saves those He choses,pharoh for example.

11. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

OK, narrow minded me replying...
    My reply was meant to reflect that Moses was not a Bible Scholar, yet was able to do God's will.
    He DID become one of God's great servants, but that's because he had a willing heart..a servants heart.

I do think we need to be trained,but we ALL begin somewhere... do we not?

Does this mean we shouldn't share the gospel UNTIL we are trained? Absolutely NOT!

Ok, Narrow minded me finished...:)

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All that God requires of me is that, as His steward on earth, I be found faithful. He has called me to disciple and witness.

I have never "won" anyone. I can't (and neither can anyone else who is keeping score). We faithful proclaim and herald the Good News - GOD does the changing of the heart (regeneration).

Not Bob.

13. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

WONDERFULLY PUT Dr.NOT BOB!
    Thank you .

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I have not "won" anyone, but I have "led" several.

The woman at the well was not 'well trained', she just told people what Jesus had done for her...

15. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Mommyperson: Ok, Narrow minded me finished...:)

Maam, I am sorry for that remark. I did not mean to offend you. I am sorry. Please forgive me. You really seem like a person with a heart for souls.

16. beverly31

beverly31 New Member

When I was saved 3 years ago, one of the contributing factors (God used many) was my best friend had just learned a witnessing technique called "Share Jesus Without Fear". It is based on the principle that its God's work, not ours, so we can't fail or win, but only plant seeds. Even if the person isn't saved right away, they've got Word in their mind and heart that they didn't have before, and if the Lord is calling them (which He is because you are witnessing to them!) [​IMG] , they WILL hear the Gospel again from someone else. I did.