1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

women deacons

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Jan 17, 2005.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Glad I am not a women in any of your churches
    2. Glad the Holy Spirit does the "calling" and not any of you
    3. So disappointed that half the population is disqualified for service, even though there is neither male nor female, Jew nor Gentile.

2. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

We tend to make deacons into more than what the Bible instructs or commands. Not to minimize the women issue, but we need to get it right with the men deacons.

Bad Examples:
    -Deacons that rule rather than serve
    -Church by-laws that allow deacons to govern the church body.
    -Deacons that can fire or hire the Pastor or staff.

I serve as a deacon and the only thing I'm allowed to do is to serve the needs of church members, visit the sick, help the poor through our benevolence program, help with outreach, and other details as needs arise. Other than these, I have 1 vote like all other church members.

3. chandler

chandler New Member

What I find very intersting is that the exact word is NOT used in Rom 16:1 and 1Tim anywhere. The word used in Rom 16:1 is diakonia. The word used in 1Tim is diakonos. Clearly the ending is different. I know enough about the Greek language to know that the ending of the word is very significant to the eaning of the word and how it is used. Though I am in seminary I have not taken Greek yet(next semester); I would like someone who knows more to clarify the difference in these two words. It sure seems that God is differentiating beteween these two words and these two ministries; especially the position of deacon(diakoneo)1Tim3:1 clearly a different word used again. Could someone please clarify the difference in these words by looking at the endings and not just the root.

4. yabba

yabba New Member

***edited:eek:h forget it, I've said all I can.***

5. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

I stick with my post about the youth ministers being men and women should not be the teachers of any boy regardless of age. I know there is no Biblical proof for it but the Bible does not command a woman to teach or lead boys or young men. I speak from personal experiance and the experiences of other men who were previously boys tought by woman. A woman should not teach boys (not because i am sexist) because the boys need a male influence in any church activity. A woman can not help the motional needs of a boy, they also are unable to show a male influence. In youth groups there should be a male leader because the Bible states men should be the leaders so therefore there needs to be a male leader to lead young men to become the leaders the future church and america needs. I do not speak weather or not if it is fair to the woman, but the job of a leader is to help the ones being tought and when it comes to teaching male students regardless of age their needs come before what "fairness" would have a woman to have.

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Most school teachers are women. Comment?

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

School teachers are not the spiritual leaders of the young men in their classes.

8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

except in Christian schools

9. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

Thats what i was refering to is christian leaders. "Most school teachers are women. Comment?" That is true even about christian schools but just because it is out there doesent mean i believe its right. As you can see i am the last person you would find following what everybody else does, lol

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Glad you are not a member of my church if you would go against the clear teaching of the Word and create division
    2. Glad that the Holy Spirit doesn't work AGAINST the Word of God. God's Spirit will not do contrary to the Word.
    3. Actually way more than half are disqualified. There are few men who are qualified. And I thankfully know some.

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Where does that leave a mother? We cannot help with the emotional needs of our sons? Are we not to teach our sons manners, character, etc.?

Puleeeeeeeze! :rolleyes:

I do not believe women should be deacons. I also believe a youth minister should be a married man or a man/wife team.

But the statement I quoted above is ridiculous...

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Don, I disagree with your remark about women teaching boys of any age. My husband and I are co-teachers of the 4 year olds in S/S. Last week we had 18. On Wednesday night, all of our Cubbie AWANA leaders are women.

I have no problem with this.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

What about christian women(mothers) homeschoolers who teach christian homeschool material?

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Christian Home school material is still just school work, Donna. A parent would have to chose 'Bible' as one of their courses.

Remember that MY remarks are aimed at teachers of teen boys. The father should still remain the spiritual leader and teach the Bible course, don't YOU think?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some are. I had a Christian teacher who had a great impact on me even to this day. I did not come from a Christian home.

Sometime read the story of Dawson Trotman (the founder of The Navigators) and the two ladies who prayed for him.

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

My remark is out of context. Your teacher most probably was not teaching Bible theology! Having an effect on you and leading you to the Lord is different from being a spiritual leader as in teaching Bible theology.

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I have to disagree with you here Diane. My husband has nothing to do with Brent's home schooling.

I just picked up Bible Paces yesterday and I intend to teach them to Brent. We are to teach our children (male and female).

I see nothing in the Bible prohibiting a mother from instructing her son in the ways of the Lord/Bible.

Church is not the same as home...

18. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Me, too.

19. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

This is all very disheartening to me because I really feel like I am being called to be a youth minister but I do kind of agree with some of the posts about how women aren't to be in that high of a position plus I totally disagree with women deacons. Oh I'm so confused!!! What is God telling me? Why am I feeling that it is to be a youth minister yet my head is telling me that is not appropriate for a woman. Looks like a long meeting with my pastor is about to occur.

20. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Chipsgirl, God does not contradict Himself, so although I do not know your heart or situation, I can tell you with certainty that He is not telling you anything that conflicts with what He has already said in scripture. THAT is where God speaks to us.