1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Women deacons

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Thomas Helwys, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

And there are others who have posted on this thread who agree with me and disagree with the members that you listed, and our disagreement with them, and you, is based on clear Biblical principles on the matter, which have been cited, including quotes from one who is on your side but admits to the true interpretation of Romans 16:1.

I can at least acknowledge that I see where those on your side get your beliefs from, but those on your side can't even be honest enough to admit that there is evidence for our side. Your side tries to squirm out of the clear meaning of Romans 16:1, you try to rationalize it away, but you can't do it.

I find it interesting that your "first post here" focuses on my response to the person who posted filthy insults to me rather than mentioning his filth and lies. Interesting that when someone has their little self-righteous domain threatened that their response is to get down in the gutter with personal insults, but that's all Heir of Salvation and those of his stripe have when they can't debate with intelligence and any modicum of civility.

I am one who likes to see all sides, and although I may have a range of emotions about an issue that I disagree with someone over, I have no desire to get personal. I want to and try to stick with the merits of the issue, but when someone doesn't do that and attacks me in the most sordid manner, I will respond.

I stopped posting in this thread once because I didn't like the direction it was heading with the personal stuff. I came back to post an important link. And now this personal attack from HoS. It's people who are not knowledgeable enough, mature enough, or civil enough to debate an issue who resort to this tactic.

And, by the way, it is also interesting that the first English Baptists affirmed women deacons, so all those who do not are departing from what the first Baptists believed, taught, and practiced. So, according to your logic, it's a miracle that the Baptist faith exists at all since so many have departed from its first beliefs.

#161 Thomas Helwys, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

The following is excerpts from Tim Keller's article defending Female deaconesses, or deacons...found here: http://byfaithonline.com/the-case-for-commissioning-not-ordaining-deaconesses/

I have bolded a few parts to draw attention to them...

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Thank you for this post.

Without commenting on the merits of the arguments, I'll say that this caught my eye, and I agree with it:

"If the church as a whole has not been able to settle this conclusively, we should exercise tolerance toward those who disagree with our opinion instead of calling our opponents “crypto-chauvinists” or “proto-feminists” as much of the blog chatter does."

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Case for Female Deacons by Jamin Hübner (2013)

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Female-Deacons

“Jamin Hübner exposited Romans 1 at our yearly Bible conference a couple of years ago, and we were blessed by his reverent and careful handling of the Word of God. I am pleased to see him continue that same approach with regard to the question of female deacons. I heartily recommend ‘A Case for Female Deacons’ to all Christians who desire a biblically healthy and fully functioning local church.” – Don Fowler (M.A., Westminster Theological Seminary, PA, M.S.M., Multnomah Seminary), Pastor, Mariner’s Reformed Baptist Church

7. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

12strings, thank you for bringing civil intellectual thought back to the discussion. Once the juvenile name calling & personal attacks came out, I chose not to respond to the foolishness in like kind.

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Thank you for this.

Lots of good information in this thread, from differing sides, for those who desire to objectively look at the issue at hand.

#168 Thomas Helwys, Feb 5, 2013
  9. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

All they have proved is that women are valuable people. No one argues with that. What you can never prove are the qualifications for a deacon or bishop
    include women. Brrrrrrrntttt. Sorry, you lose. :)

Furthermore, one poster had it backwards. The truth is, the other side knows they don't have a leg to stand on, but there is the mention of Phoebe which we can exploit and we can attack the messengers as wanting to keep women under their thumb. Don't say that ploy has not been used, as I can pull up the posts. That is a shame, ad hominem attacks that have no scriptural basis.

10. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Here's a prime example of the immaturity that has hijacked this discussion. My 19yr old daughter doesn't talk in that manner. Constant name calling, offensive insults, false accusations & childish retorts reveal what is in the heart.

"out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh"

#170 michael-acts17:11, Feb 5, 2013
  11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Directory page on the website of Franklin Avenue Baptist Church (some of you may recognize this church as that pastored by your own SBC President Fred Luter):

franklinavenuebaptist/aboutus

12. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I have not lost anything, my friend. We have just as much evidence on our side as you do on yours. I know you and others on your side feel strongly about this, and I do, too. But I have a problem with casting this as a "we win -you lose" situation. I don't think that is helpful or Christlike.

Saying that the verse about Phoebe is something we think we can exploit is rather offensive. Is it difficult for you to consider that we actually believe our position on Phoebe?

Are you saying that no attacks have come from your side? Really?

I wish we could all debate this in good faith. I am not saying I haven't been guilty of failing to do that, but I was wrong whenever and if ever I did it, and I regret it.