1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women in Leadership (not as pastor, but in leadership)

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by mercy4all, Nov 18, 2008.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No one is denying a woman leadership if it is in the proper context. A woman is not to be in authority over a man in church. Period. So in our church, while more than 1/2 of the staff is female, no woman is in authority over men. But if you followed our church for a week, you'd see in no uncertain terms that women play a HUGE role and not just mopping floors and making coffee.

But I've found that those who say that the churches deny women leadership are only looking for women to be pastors. But the Bible is certainly on the side of showing that not one woman was a pastor, not one woman led a church and not one woman was an elder. Scripture is clear about what a woman is NOT to do but many deny it.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm certainly not calling for women pastors/elders.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Scripture, whom is Phebe called a prostatis in relation to?

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If we were to say "prostatis" by definition is a "woman set over others", let's look at the sentence and see if it works:

That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a "woman set over others" of many, and of myself also.

Now let's look at it with the other definitions:

That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a "protector" of many, and of myself also.

That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a "caring for the affairs of others and aiding them with her resources" of many, and of myself also.

That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a "guardian" of many, and of myself also.

Which do you think makes the most sense? That Phoebe was in authority over Paul and many others or that she was a servant - and Paul was telling others to assist her in her work of serving since she had been a blessing to so many including Paul himself?

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make up your mind; earlier you said that a woman in your church "would be considered a prostasis" because she is a leader and is "in charge of" ministries. Now you say that a prostatis consists merely of being "a blessing" to others?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, if the context supports that she is in authority over others, it would be consistent with Scripture that she be in authority over women and not men.

But in the context of Scripture, we see that it is not a "set over" as in an authority situation because she would then be in authority over Paul and I don't think there was ANY authority over Paul except Jesus Christ Himself.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The fact that exercising authority is one of the meanings or implications of the word does not mean that she had authority over men in the church. That is reading something in it that is not there.

8. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

You might try praying for guidance from The Holy Spirit on this one, rather than relying on Paul's letters to a particular Church at a particular time in HISTORY. God is still speaking,...

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So God will contradict Scripture????

"As in all the churches of the saints..." means just one church?

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What??? The Holy Spirit is hardly going to contradict Paul's letters, which are God's word.

I do not think God is still speaking; He has spoken and His word is sufficient to equip as believers.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hope you mis-typed this, as it makes no sense whatsoever. God speaks to us through Scripture.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

God does still speak...but that doesn't mean He forgot to put a back cover on the Bible. :thumbsup: