1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Pastors

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DeclareHim, Jul 17, 2004.

1. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I was wondering if anyone on here believed women can be pastors. Or what your general thoughts were on them.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone on here believed women can be pastors.
    As for me - no.

Or what your general thoughts were on them.
    See above

3. atestring

atestring New Member

I know a woman Pastor at a Methodist Church in my city. She is doing a great job.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the scriptures teach that the role of a pastor is reserved for men.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have known some great ones in the past but not currently. Don't have a problem with it myself. It really is a local church matter as far as baptist churches go. If a church calls a pastor they feel is right for them and is a women, it wouldn't stop me in the least from fellowshiping with her and her church simply because she is a women.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This topic has been discussed ad infinitum in the short time I have been a member of the BB. To get the full range of feelings you might do a search.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

No room for a woman behind the pulpit! Men only!

Blackbird

8. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

scripture says a woman is not to have authority over a man; therefore, no women pastors. It's a matter of role not equality.

9. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Here in England we have female Baptist Pastors. ( I don't know what else to call them, but anyway, we have them here)

Sheila

10. rufus

rufus New Member

No, according to I Timothy 3:1-7, that role is reserved for men. Besides, a woman cannot be the "husband of one wife." [​IMG]

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Only those who wish to deprive women of their status in the world say they can be pastors.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I agree Daniel. God has a special place for woman to serve and it is not in the pastorate. To try to squeeze them into that role is indeed to deprive them of their special status.

13. atestring

atestring New Member

No, according to I Timothy 3:1-7, that role is reserved for men. Besides, a woman cannot be the "husband of one wife." [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Does that mean that if a mann is widowed he cannot be a pastor?

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Women pastors?

Not a good idea, but, as in the days of the Judges when the men were cowering, God can and does use whoever He chooses to get the job done (Hulda, Deborah).

HankD

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think I Timothy 3:1-7 serves as a good text to exclude women from the pastorate. The point of "husband of one wife" is most likely to exclude polygamy.

As a former staunch advocate of women pastors, I know that the best passage to advocate a complementarian view is a few verses earlier. I Timothy 2:11-15 is an explicit Pauline denial of female authority. In my opinion, if one holds to the inerrancy of these verses, one must do an abundance of exegetical gymnastics to avoid the natural conclusion of the passage. At best one might be able to argue that Paul POSSIBLY wasn't excluding women from the pastorate permanently, but one cannot prove that assertion.

Now if you aren't an inerrantist, I'd say just throw out the verses; that's the basic approach of nearly all non-inerrantists.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Seeing how Paul did not write the chapter divisions I think the whole context at the end of chapter 2 to the start of chapter 3 is very clear. Read them in context and ignore the chapter break - see what common sense says.

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree 100%.

I would say that the reason I think that "husband of one wife" was not to exclude women was that he had already made his point that women were not to hold authority. Chapter 3 assumes that the pastorate is male because Paul had already qualified it as such.

18. rufus

rufus New Member

No, according to I Timothy 3:1-7, that role is reserved for men. Besides, a woman cannot be the "husband of one wife." [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Does that mean that if a mann is widowed he cannot be a pastor? </font>[/QUOTE]Is he still the husband of one wife? Then yes! He can be a pastor! [​IMG]

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Nope. No women pastors.

Diane

20. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I agree.

Although there are times when I want to get up on my soapbox and let it rip. My children generally recieve the benefit of those sermons.