1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Word of Faith and the Denomination

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Dec 31, 2018.

1. OfLivingWaters

OfLivingWaters Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Whose flesh is of no profit His or man's without Him? The FOOD WHICH COMES DOWN FROM HEAVEN, what flesh and blood are we to eat, and who makes it as such and in whom is done? Is this the manna of the OC, He speaks of (which St. Paul reveals is obsolete ,or in speaking of the New Covenant?) Is what He instituted at the Last Supper , what He speaks of "Do this in MEMORY OF ME" ,this flesh and blood? You call it a work in the flesh, so do you deny His flesh profits for much? Is it His Holy Spirit which gives life through this transforming nourishment of His body and blood? Why must we do this in memory of Him? Is this the Body and Blood He speaks of that we must eat, which He says gives life and you will have no life if you do not eat and drink of it?

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I simply quoted Scripture...these seem to be questions you have towards The Lord.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The authority were the then living Apostles, the New Testment was in the process of being written. There were churches, there was never any centeralized church body as such. The NT makes no such reference. The body of Christ was the believers who made up the churches at large.
    What you are claiming is the claim of a cult. Jesus taught an equal brotherhood, Matthew 23:8. The Revelation, the last written book of the New Testament only names 7 local churches, and makes no mention of any kind of central church body.

4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What were the Apostles if not those who were exercising a central authority? The Epistles themselves prove my contention. Concerning abuses at Corinth St. Paul wrote: "In giving this instruction, I do not praise the fact that your meetings are doing more harm than good". (1 Cor 11:17)

And then on down the line he says: "Therefore, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. If anyone is hungry he should eat at home, so that your meetings may not result in judgement. The other matters I shall set in order when I come". (1 Cor 11 33:34) No central authority? Please!

There was the equal brotherhood of one Universal Christian Church - everyone was a member of it - there was no other. It was one Holy Church with one central authority until of course the 11th century when the first great schism occurred between the Eastern and Western branches of Christianity. You are aware of that, aren't you?

The word "cult" has come to mean something nefarious in our modern time. Likewise, being a member of the "Cult of Jesus Christ" can in no way be considered a bad thing.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is explained by Jesus.
    First He explains that the eating is coming to Him and the drinking is believing in Him.
    ". . . And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. . . ." -- John 6:35.
    Then lastly that what He spoke is metaphor, not literal.
    ". . . It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. . . ." -- John 6:63.

The context as always needs to be read.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did not say that drinking is believing. He said that those who believe on him shall never thirst. Not the same thing you said.

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Apostles, yes. But no central church over all other churches. The reference given was the Apostle to the Corinthian church. And the apostlic authority of the book is applied and used by all churches today. And all 27 NT books are the apostlic authority given to us by God through His Apostles and the church prophets that were among the Apostles in their day.

Yes, those were the irregular churches. Churches in the NT were local to each respective city.
    The marks of nefarious churches. Claiming superiority, and centural authority. Teaching a faith plus works salvation. Denying the sole apostalic authority of the 27 book NT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I guess you are not the kind that is always ready to give answer, it is clear the holy Spirit is not answering for you based on the answer.

9. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sharing in the Lord's Supper 1 Corinthians 11:17-31
    (Matthew 26:26-30; Mark 14:22-26; Luke 22:14-23)

17In the following instructions I have no praise to offer, because your gatherings do more harm than good. 18First of all, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. 19And indeed, there must be differences among you to show which of you are approved.

20Now then, when you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat. 21For as you eat, many of you proceed with your own meal to the exclusion of others. While one remains hungry, another gets drunk. 22Don’t you have your own homes in which to eat and drink? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What can I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? No I will not!

OBVIOUSLY ST. PAUL WAS VERY ANGRY OVER THE IRREVERENCE IN THE GATHERING, SEEMS HE PUT A LOT OF STOCK IN THE LAST SUPPER. He reprimands the lack of honor shown.

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: that the Lord Jesus, on the night He was betrayed, took bread, 24and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you;a do this in remembrance of Me.” 25In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.
    Why proclaim His death until he comes......because it is the death to sin in all and therefore is LIFE!
    27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28Each one must examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
    How can one sin against that which he is not truly present in?, by not doing it in HIS MEMORY, NOT VALUING IT! AS YOU PEOPLE DO NOT!

31Now if we judged ourselves properly, we would not come under judgment. 32But when we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.
    YOU ARE BEING JUDGED BY CHRIST so that you will not be condemned with the world for this FALSE DOCTRINE!

33So, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. 34If anyone is hungry, he should eat at home, so that when you come together it will not result in judgment. And when I come, I will give instructions about the remaining matters.

ANOTHER WORDS, this is a partaking in a Holy Sanctified RITE which means participate with reverence and not as a basic meal like you have at home with much eating. This is a SACRED MEAL, which as a church we come together in , in HIS MEMORY and where two or more gather in His name there too is He in their midst. He is truly present!

10. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Fulfillment of the Law Matthew 5:18-20
    …18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.…
    You teach that this command of Christ (A GREAT COMMAND )as least, and so you are!

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what do you see or do not see is the correlation between His teaching of drinking His blood and believing to never thirst?

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do you believe it to be more than a rememberence? Do you deny that the believers are the body of Christ in fellowship in remembering His death by that rite? Are you arguing that the rememberence is not what is sacred? Please clarify what you mean.

13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read the chapter? Paul says some are eating so much and drinking so much they are taking portions from others.

21 for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk. 22 Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God by humiliating those who have nothing?

33 So then, my brothers and sisters, when you gather to eat, you should all eat together. 34 Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.

This has nothing to do with how the RCC takes tiny pieces of bread and one cup of wine. The RCC has pagan-ized the Lord's Supper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    YEAH, And did you read what I put addressing the Last Supper? He addressed all things and MOST IMPORTANTLY the importance of the LAST SUPPER which is NOT a regular meal ! You would negate that important point of course and go to the flesh belly of the matter. You people make no sense. Have at it!

15. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry. I'm just not following you. Can you please explain? Thank you

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    UNDERSTAND THIS: 1Corinthians 11:27-30
    27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. (GUILTY OF SINNING AGAINST THE BODY AND BLOOD OF CHRIST)!

Oh!, but you people do one worse than that , you reject it, and say you do so in His name. Your brood says, He is not really present and it is not to be taken as His body and Blood! St. Paul is very clear. Seems because you also reject she (Mary) whose soul magnifies the Lord you do not have YOUR MAGNIFIERS TO SEE THE WORD CLEARLY. OH! and not to mention the essential books to the story of salvation you all reject! You all just keep spiraling down that rabbit hole.

28Each one must examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
    This is align with what Christ said: "He who does not eat my Body and Drink my blood does NOT have life in Him". Yes He is the Word of Life who is salvation for those who believe in Him. It is His word which you reject. If He says something it is DONE! If He says that- in the breaking of Bread and the drinking of Wine IN FAITH is His Body and Blood then HE ACCORDING TO HIS WORD makes it so! "This is MY BODY which shall be given up for YOU, This my Blood which shall be shed for the forgiveness of sins , do this in MEMORY OF ME! You must not value that, nor His memory. You know EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING NOW!
    PRIDE would be the only thing keeping from embracing HIS WORDS!

17. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bread and wine is correct according to the Scriptures, not grape juice and crackers. We got it right, you got nothing!

18. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes we do.

Your grape juice and crackers mean nothing, they are, well, just plain old grape juice and crackers.

The Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity which is present in a true Holy Eucharist is what makes the elements of bread and wine sacred.

Remembrance by itself is just a mind action, not sacred.

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus finished the sheding of His blood on the cross (John 19:28-30) And taught the observance was to be a rememberance (Luke 22:19).

And what do you make of the unbeliever Judas eating the observance (Luke 22:21)?

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well thank you for your qualifying what you believe and do not believe (John 6:47; John 3:36).