1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Words with baggage

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We see several places in scripture where people are made "whiter than snow," or "white as snow." I wonder how non-caucasian looking people, might react to the idea that white is good or pure, but darker tones are blemished?

Should we translate such "outdated cultural depictions" as "pristine as snow?

Isaiah 1:18
    “Come now, and let us debate your case,
    Says the LORD,
    “Though your sins are as scarlet,
    They shall become as white as snow;
    Though they are red like crimson,
    They shall be like wool.

Here the translation could read "as pristine as snow" and avoid what might be seen as Eurocentric?

Matthew 28:3
    And his appearance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow.

Here the translation could read "as pristine as fresh snow."

The real question is whether this alteration is going too far to become all things to all people so that we may win some?

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV translates Strong's G3022 in the following manner: white (25x).
    Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
    1. light, bright, brilliant

1. brilliant from whiteness, (dazzling) white
        1. of the garments of angels, and of those exalted to the splendour of the heavenly state

2. shining or white garments worn on festive or state occasions

3. of white garments as the sign of innocence and purity of the soul
      2. dead white

1. of the whitening colour of ripening grain

Maybe yes, maybe no, only God knows.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sins as scarlet or crimson seems to be targeting red hued people. That one needs refining as well.

I suppose we can leave "Black is beautiful" (that isn't politically offensive).

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should probably do something about Elijah calling baal's followers names on Mt. Carmel. He even said that baal was too busy using the bathroom to answer prayers, or maybe he was taking a nap.

Clearly Elijah didn't know about the modern 11th Evangelical commandment of "Thou Shalt Be 'Nice'!". Come to think of it John the Baptist, Jesus, Isaiah, Moses and Elisha weren't nice to name a few, but they were all honest. I wonder if there's a pattern...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many believers have seen wisdom in being inclusive in our language. With the history of light skinned people enslaving darker skinned people, and with all the tribalism advocates claiming "we" are in the right and "they" are in the wrong, inclusiveness seems necessary. On the other hand, putting our best foot forward might be taking our first step down the road of misrepresentation.

Clearly using gender inclusive language, when both genders were intended, is valid. Using pristine when white is used figuratively for purity also seems valid.

Is anyone aware of other terms that miss the mark of conveying inclusivity when intended?

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, since the reference is to snow - as purity - you can't say purple as snow or striped as snow. Snow is white.

Besides, if you are going to change the word white, you would need to change the word red, too, as the contrast of the two colors is the point God is making.

All people - of all colors - come to the Bible with their own opinions, backgrounds, misinformation, and thoughts that would lead to error. That's because we are not perfect. We are the ones with the baggage, not necessarily the words.

The Bible is perfect.

I would say in this instance that the editing of God's Word from "white" to "pristine" would not be the thing to do. When I am teaching the Bible and I know that someone has a weakness of thought or is a new believer with MUCH to learn - I explain things as I go.

Here, I would say to the class, "Now remember, the word "white" isn't referring to anything else except a cleansing from sin."

To get bogged down in anything else takes the focus away from the totality of verses 16-20. That's the focus. God calls for a "reasoning together" with him. He calls for our repentance. That's the issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    White as snow or whiter than snow is used to present the idea of purity not whiteness. Thus translating the intended message seems important. Ditto for when masculine words are used to convey people of either gender. Using words with baggage that might be misconstrued seems unnecessary. Snow in its fresh or just fallen state is white, but we have all seen a pile of plowed snow beside a road that is brown as mud. Thus as pristine as fresh snow conveys purity.

I guess it comes back to the idea of translating the word's meaning as determined from context, or being aware of the danger of falling into root fallacy translation. Certainly sound arguments on both sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer translating the source word into the target language as accurately as possible, leaving the meaning to be interpreted by the reader.

The reason is the meaning of all verses are so easily discerned as "white as snow" meaning purity.

We probably need to note, as well, that the Hebrew people were not white. So the problem is not with archaic words but with today's warped culture.

I guess my concern would be with offering a "translation" that is more of an interpretation. I can think of places where this would be more of an issue than the passages discussed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a word is used figuratively rather than literally, which meaning should the translators use to translate "accurately?" When fields are said to be "white" does it not mean like a cotton field with lots of white balls of cotton, or does it refer to the change to a lighter tone when the grain is ripe for harvest. Should the verse be more accurately translated to reflect the actual intended meaning, the fields are ripe for harvest?

When I was growing up, at the back of our Pastor's podium was the baptistry, and above that a stain class window of Jesus with blue eyes, looking very much a white man. Later in life I came across a book explaining that the mark of Cain was black skin. It has apparently been written to defend slavery in the south by "Baptists." People use ambiguity to pour false doctrine into God's pristine word.

On the other hand I like the term whitewashed which conveys covering over sin with the appearance of purity, by hypocrites.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don’t think it’s necessary to change scripture to conform to modern ideology.

In the passage you mentioned there is a contrast of colors between crimson (red) and snow (white). To change “white” to pristine you lose the comparison.

White hair depicted the wisdom of age. Not many lived long enough for their hair to be completely white.

If the Bible says “white”, then keep it as white and explain to those you are teaching the various ways the word is used in context.

Peace to you

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea is to translate the intended message. Thus if white is used figuratively to present purity, then "as pristine as fresh snow" conveys the idea with less ambiguity. The problem you are attempting to attribute to me is changing the intended message by redefining the meaning of the word or phrase according to today's usage. However, many believe the inspired writers used "white" to convey unsoiled purity, like our souls rendered as pristine as fresh snow.

Do you understand why many famous black athletes reject Christianity and embrace Islam? Could the implication that white is good and black is bad play a part in hindering Christ's ministry? How should we address it?

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t see the connection between “white as snow” and race. Do you think black peoples see “white as snow” as referring to race??

I do understand why many people, athletes or not, reject Christianity and it has nothing to do with race.

What should we do to address it? Preach the gospel. Don’t change the words. Just preach what God has given us and trust God will move on people to convict them of the truth.

If you feel the need to bring race into the discussion and tell people “white as snow” doesn’t mean white people are better than black people, go right ahead.

I suspect very few people, black or white, ever thought it was referring to race.

peace to you

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again you falsely claim translation according to intended meaning is "changing the words." Nuff said

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Snippet from Internet:

Why did people like Muhammed Ali and Malcolm X convert to Islam?
    Christianity in much of Black America was - and sometimes still is - seen as a White man's religion. Muhammad Ali and Malcolm were at the peak of their fame during the civil rights era, in the 60s, when African Americans were trying to force the American public to see their struggles and support the fight for ending racial segregation, with its degrading second class status for African Americans. ​

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you believe changing “white as snow” to “pristine as snow” would have changed the perception of black Americans in the 60’s and made Malcolm X and Ali become Christian instead of Muslim? Yeah right!

Race has nothing to do with the passage and changing the words, and you are changing the words, does nothing but confuse the meaning of the passage.

What are you going to do with the description of the risen Christ in Revelation that says His hair is “white like wool”?

Ooohhh we can’t have the word “white” described any part of Jesus, somebody might think the Bible promotes white supremacy!!!!

Your thread is more nonsense, as usual. I’ll leave you to it.

nuff said

peace to you

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So ;you believe misrepresenting others advances the cause of Christ?

Is the intended message to say Christ's hair is pristine as wool? Why present such absurdities?

Your posts are nonsense, as usual, and I hope you stop trying to derail biblical discussion.

17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The premise of your question is insulting to non/Caucasian people. You must believe dark skinned people are really stupid.

You apparently believe dark skinned people will look at the words of life, God’s Word, which states their sins are crimson but shall be made white as snow and somehow they will conclude there is a racial aspect to God’s Word, that God is saying white people are good but black people are evil.

IT IS NONSENSE!! It is not a biblical discussion, it is a political discussion. Or it is a social justice discussion. You are attempting to fix something that isn’t broken.

The only person making the connection between “white as snow” and race is Van.

peace to you

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice the ploy of charging me with a false charge?

Next using words that have less baggage is never addressed as a means of improving Christ's ministry.

People rejecting Christianity is said to be a non-problem and we should not attempt to fix it. Such a view is unbiblical. We are to strive to become more effective witnesses for Christ.

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The phrase “white as snow” does not have “baggage” in anyone’s mind but yours.

The passage isn’t talking about race. You are inserting race to virtue single that you are sensitive to racial issues and in the process showing your own racial bias by thinking dark skinned people aren’t smart enough to understand the passage unless you clean up the “baggage” found in God’s word.

I’ll leave you to the nonsense.

peace to you

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would you know what is in the minds of those who see Christianity as a white man's religion. You have no clue, yet you posted as if you had specific knowledge. You do know what God thinks of those who fabricate.

Did I say the passage was about race? Nope. Why not address what I said?

Do you ever ask yourself why you attribute ulterior motives to others, rather than address their actual views?