1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured World vs. Elect

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

I don't disagree with you're above. Suzerainty and Parity Covenants are established and easily referenced. However you forgot to add that many Suzerainty covenants are also 'conditional' covenants but it is up to the greater party to detail this. We see this with salvation.

NOW, don't get me wrong here - While man cannot save himself, man must believe what God has said and that He is able to do what He claims.. nothing more. He can not trade his faith, he can not offer to God his faith in exchange for anything.. He just must believe. That is the condition God has established to save man. God does it, it is His choice to save.

There is no eternal salvation a part from faith in Christ, thus Jesus statement - Believe and be saved.

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree with what you give above, but I disagree with where you carry it to.
    Yes, action (propitiation of Christ) was a completed act in the past but it is NOT applied to anyone future a part from faith.
    Rom 3:25 establishes this fairly well:
    Thus this past event is not applied to any man a part from faith, that divine act of forbearance in passing over former sins.
    From what I see, not so. Again, while the action is a past event that has happened, the reconciling is the on going event toward the world to which we have been given the 'word of reconciliation' and as ambassadors we plead with you to BE Reconciled (vss19-20)

:) agreed and which must be received by faith that the propitiation be applied which is the means of the reconciliation.

No sir, not when you look above what I have given. God's reconciliation (the message we have been given) is received by faith and the very reason Paul states, as ambassadors we plead or beg you.. "be reconciled."

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Allan,

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2 Timothy 1:12
    For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Allan, you have done an excellent job of showing from scripture that "world" applies to unbelievers, and that the propitiation for our sins and thus being reconciled is received through faith.

But don't expect any of these Calvinists to accept this, it ain't gonna happen. They place their creeds above scripture.

5. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Jeremiah 2

Israel Forsakes God

2 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem:

“This is what the Lord says:

“‘I remember the devotion of your youth,
    how as a bride you loved me
    and followed me through the wilderness,
    through a land not sown.
    3 Israel was holy to the Lord,
    the firstfruits of his harvest;

all who devoured her were held guilty,
    and disaster overtook them,’”
    declares the Lord.

4 Hear the word of the Lord, you descendants of Jacob,
    all you clans of Israel.

5 This is what the Lord says:

“What fault did your ancestors find in me,
    that they strayed so far from me?
    They followed worthless idols
    and became worthless themselves.
    6 They did not ask, ‘Where is the Lord,
    who brought us up out of Egypt
    and led us through the barren wilderness,
    through a land of deserts and ravines,
    a land of drought and utter darkness,
    a land where no one travels and no one lives?’
    7 I brought you into a fertile land
    to eat its fruit and rich produce.
    But you came and defiled my land
    and made my inheritance detestable.
    8 The priests did not ask,
    ‘Where is the Lord?’
    Those who deal with the law did not know me;
    the leaders rebelled against me.
    The prophets prophesied by Baal,
    following worthless idols.

9 “Therefore I bring charges against you again,”
    declares the Lord.
    “And I will bring charges against your children’s children.
    10 Cross over to the coasts of Cyprus and look,
    send to Kedar[In the Syro-Arabian desert] and observe closely;
    see if there has ever been anything like this:
    11 Has a nation ever changed its gods?
    (Yet they are not gods at all.)
    But my people have exchanged their glorious God
    for worthless idols.
    12 Be appalled at this, you heavens,
    and shudder with great horror,”
    declares the Lord.
    13 “My people have committed two sins:
    They have forsaken me,
    the spring of living water,
    and have dug their own cisterns,
    broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

14 Is Israel a servant, a slave by birth?
    Why then has he become plunder?

15 Lions have roared;
    they have growled at him.
    They have laid waste his land;
    his towns are burned and deserted.
    16 Also, the men of Memphis and Tahpanhes
    have cracked your skull.
    17 Have you not brought this on yourselves
    by forsaking the Lord your God

when he led you in the way?

1 Timothy 3 :
    14 Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, 15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. 16 Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great:

He appeared in the flesh,
    was vindicated by the Spirit,[Or vindicated in spirit]
    was seen by angels,
    was preached among the nations,
    was believed on in the world,
    was taken up in glory.

1 Timothy 4

4 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

6 If you point these things out to the brothers and sisters,[The Greek word for brothers and sisters (adelphoi) refers here to believers, both men and women, as part of God’s family.] you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished on the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. 7 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. 9 This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance. 10 That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.

John 7:38
    Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”[Or me. And let anyone drink 38 who believes in me.” As Scripture has said, “Out of him (or them) will flow rivers of living water.”] 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Acts 19:2
    and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

John 6:63
    The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.

Luke 24:49
    I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”

Acts 1:4
    On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.

If you mean by His word which is Spirit and life, yes it is to be and we are His messenger.

#125 psalms109:31, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012