1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

worried for younger brother

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by evenifigoalone, Dec 20, 2015.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going into as little detail as possible....

My mother is not able to homeschool my younger brother at this time. But she refuses to put him in a public school, and a private school is not affordable. I suggested GED classes, since he is 17. She refuses to consider this either, as she completely distrusts any education funded by the state.
    My brother has no motivation on his own, he just wants to play video games all day. She has given him some daily tasks to do while she is at work. But it is no substitute for the education he still needs.

What can I do? What should I do? Since this is none of my business should I just ignore it and feel like I did all I could without stepping out of my boundaries? I am willing to help my brother study. I do not know if I could manage an entire curriculum for him if asked, though. I have my own life to live.
    My mom did a good job with my education. Her ability to educate is not the problem. It's that she simply can't do what needs to be done right now and refuses to consider alternatives.

2. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    So right now he has some tasks to do everyday, and he's getting better about doing them. No replacement for a curriculum, but it is better than doing nothing.
    I feel bad even bringing it up here, really, because my mom would kill me for doing so if she found out, but It's just that my brother is old enough to be graduating from grade school altogether. But he has no motivation to do anything. I'm just really worried for him because he's going to regret this so very much in a few years.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What are the laws in your state regarding schooling? Honestly, if he is not motivated to do anything on his own and your mom won't educate him or send him someplace where he will get an education, he is going to reap the consequences. If he is above the age that the state requires kids to be in school, he can choose to not do anything.

4. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's legal to drop out at 16 here. He's 17.
    My mom isn't able to do his schooling herself as she has 12 hour work days.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Then there is not much that can be done. He needs an education or a skill. As long as he chooses to do nothing but play video games, your mother is going to have to support him. I homeschooled my kids through 8th grade and then sent them to the public high school. When they are 16 years old, they get a job as well. I think having a job as soon as you can teaches you some responsibility and it keeps you busy! Is there any way to encourage him to get a job somewhere?

6. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't seem likely. Mom's been telling him he needs to get one, I've been mentioning that the grocery store is always hiring, he doesn't really listen.

7. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish she would at least try to get him to take GED classes. But it's statefunded, and that's equivalent to pure evil in her mind. She'd protest even more if I told her they use common core too.

8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I'm not against technology, and still play the occasional video game myself, we're at a point where a young male can sit behind a computer screen and have all of his entertainment needs met.

The previous dynamic was that a young man would want a car, new set of clothes, a girlfriend, & etc. This usually meant that he would enter the workforce.

Now, as long as they have internet access and mom's still cooking for them, they see no reason why they should leave the house.

I fear that this is going to have some serious ramifications for the nation. Or maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Rob - I don't think you are blowing anything out of proportion. My girls both have worked for a grocery store through high school, college and now even being in grad school and working as a sub looking for a full time teaching job. They tell me how the younger workers are - calling in to say they don't feel like coming in, just not showing up, being lazy on the job. I seriously wonder how these kids will ever hold a more serious job when the time comes!

10. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see plenty of the same pampering in myself honestly, even with the way my dad tried to drill work ethic in me. It's mainly not wanting to let others down that motivates me to act responsible.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

11. The Convicted Mama

The Convicted Mama New Member

That's a tough situation. It is good of you to show concern and be willing to help. But if both your mother and brother are unwilling i would say the only strategy you have is prayer. Continue to encourage, but ultimately your brother will have to choose his own path, and your mom may tire of the stay at home big kid eventually. It doesn't seem to be uncommon these days. It's tough :(