1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worship - Evangelize or Edify?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by VoiceInTheWilderness, Jan 24, 2003.

1. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

My first reply indicated that in a "worship service" edification would take a higher priority, but at the same time, there is nothing wrong with creating an environment where the gospel will be effectively communicated as well. The two should not be bifurcated. Both are a priority.

2. All about Grace

For someone so concerned about context, you sure misused this statement. Are you saying Warren is wrong to suggest that they are to be more concerned about reaching and discipling unbelievers than growing their church through membership transfers?

Context, context, context [​IMG]

3. All about Grace

If you choose to generalize philosophies in this manner, then there is definitely little room for discussion.

I naturally assumed you were talking about some of the more contemporary philosophies of ministry. If you were not, sorry.

They are seeking to make disciples. Big difference.

You build a relationship in order to have the opportunity to tell that person about what it means to have a relationship with Christ. These churches create an environment where members are confident those with whom they have built a relationship will hear the gospel. I see no problem with this concept. It does not negate the edification element.

Very few of the modern church models with which I am familiar (which is a lot) have an altar call.

4. rufus

rufus New Member

SBCbyGRACE said: "I would have to suggest that worship should involve both purposes...."

Yep, Amen, and GMTA

Rufus [​IMG]

5. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that church services are to edify with the intent as well of equipping those that are members of the church to evangelize those outside the church.

I haven't looked it up, but I can't recall any New Testament evangelization that was done within a congregation. It was all done outside the local assembly (Ethiopian and Phillip, Stephen, etc). It seems like, though, that Paul was preaching in a house and a man fell out the window, Eutychus was his name. In that gathering of the brethren, no evangelization was done, but one man was saved! :D :D :D

Jason :D

6. ruthigirl

ruthigirl New Member

As you said, to glorify Christ. Then to edify other believers. To preach the word and grow the believers so that they are DISCIPLING others and leading others to christ. It is cheap to just invite the unsaved to church and let the preacher tell them. [​IMG]