1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worship in Spirit and in truth?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Daniel David, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

What exactly does it mean to worship in Spirit?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

The way I see it, "Spirit & Truth" means that there's more than tradition and rite in your worship service. It means so much more than simply following the bulletin and singing hymns or praise songs or whatever.

Many people mistake worship for what we see outwardly. True worship of God begins in the heart, and manifests itself in many ways, both in church and out.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

That isn't what Jesus said, and not what he is talking about.

He was not talking about the right spirit (attitude) toward worship. He was talking about the nature of God and the Holy Spirit.

God is Spirit. Those who worship him...

What does "in Spirit" mean?

4. A&I

A&I New Member

Spirit ? Holy Spirit ?
    Truth ? In Christ ?

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

What exactly are you trying to do here? You asked a question, as though you were interested in the thought processes of others. You didn't ask about an interpretation of a certain scripture, therefore I just answered your question. I stand by my opinion that there's more to worship than tradition, rite, the singing of hymns, etc...and that true worship of God must begin in the heart.

Worth noting is this; that in John 4:23-24 (KJV and others), the word "spirit" from the phrase "spirit and truth" is not capitalized. Many folks think that Jesus was indeed talking about a person's attitude in worship. Consider Matthew Henry's take on the matter:

He (Jesus) describes the evangelical worship which alone God would accept and be well pleased with. Having shown that the place is indifferent, he comes to show what is necessary and essential - that we worship God in spirit and in truth, v. 23, 24. The stress is not to be laid upon the place where we worship God, but upon the state of mind in which we worship him.

[ January 16, 2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: USN2Pulpit ]

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Okay. The Jews who worshiped at the Temple were still required to do so with a right attitude. That never changed. See Isaiah 1 (among others) as a text in the O.T. that demands a right heart attitude.

Jesus was contrasting worshiping in Jerusalem, with worshiping in spirit and in truth, since God is spirit.

So the right attitude doesn't have a thing to do with this text.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Since you seem to know the answer already, care to share your own insight?

8. Tim

Tim New Member

DD,

You've got to admit, this was a set-up--rather than information gathering. Though I believe I agree with you on the answer.

Worshipping "in Spirit and in Truth" is a paradoxical statement which defines the superiority of the New Covenant. The paradox is that though the physical temple seemed like more real worship, it was actually only a shadow of greater worship--the worship of the Church as the temple of the Holy Spirit. Thus New Testament worship is true worship, rather than merely symbolic types and shadows as in the OT.

A believer in the better covenant,

Tim

9. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Okay, I am honestly wanting to talk about it, but the answer you gave was still true in the O.T.

Can you answer apart from saying it shouldn't be routine?