1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would Full Preterism be seen as heresy?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Apr 12, 2021.

1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes robycop3 and the point I was trying to make is to be any kind of preterist you will be of a reformed background. You have to be because the liberals don't care about being anything close to Biblical in their theology and will not give preterism any second thought, and if you take a literal meaning from the words of the Bible you will at the minimum consider the possibility of some form of dispensationalism. You might not embrace it but you will not write it off totally.

The conservative reformed among us somewhere will along the line take refuge in one of the various confessions or the teachings of church fathers or the reformers. Once you do that allegory becomes a possibility, it is with the ECFs that allegory got it's historic start.

2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. - Gal. 4:24.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    waffle

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Denying a future Second Coming and our physical and bodily resurrection dead wrong!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Entire book of the Revelation not an allegory!

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While preterism can't technically be considered heresy, it IS 100% FALSE, both types of it.

PROOF of falsehood? EASY!

In fronta me, I have Encyclopaedia Britannica, Collier's Encyclopedia, World Book Encyclopedia, & several other works of history, and NOT ONE OCCURRENCE of ANY eschatological event is recorded in any of them! The events described in nScripture are not small, & no study of history woulda missed any of them, had they already happened.

Simple TRUTH is, THEY HAVEN'T YET HAPPENED ! !

7. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    My job is to defend the actual words and promises of the Bible not to convince those who are less than sure that the words have actual clear and precise meaning. I take my clue from our Lord and Savior who told the tempter "... “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.""

Notice it's not some words, not some words not understood by some people, not some words that that might be based on someone's personal theological stance and not some words that could be on a foggy day be taken to be an allegory when they don't have to be to give clear meaning to the passage. Rather it is every word. Sometimes every word makes us personally uncomfortable and requires a change in our thinking.

My job is to defend the actual words and promises of the Bible not to convince those who are less than sure that the words have actual clear and precise meaning.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, what's that got to do with whether or not full preterism is heresy or not?

But I believe God's words as written & properly translated into my language, while preterists, not having any proof that the events they SAY have already happened, HAVE actually happened, reduce "inconvenient' Scripture to "figurative/symbolic" status.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just wanted to make the point that I'm personally not interested in a debate on things that are actually easy to disprove as it's a fools task, a view only supported by a force of will, not the clear teaching in the word.

10. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your going to Britannica and the others for an answer for this kind of event reminds me of Yuri Gagarin and his purported comment when he was in space. Krushchev said of him. "Gagarin flew into space, but didn't see any god there".

Do you really give those encyclopedias more cred than the Word of God?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scriptures have NO support for full Preterism!

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Word of God only PREDICTS those events. Nowhere does it say they've already happened.

14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it does not say it happened. The reason is that when those things happened no more inspired Scripture was being written.

• Like Like x 1
  15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And they HAVEN'T happened yet. You can't prove they have. Easy to prove they HAVEN'T.

16. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ironic that you speak of Scripture. In all of this thread - and the previous one - you never quote a single verse. Just one-liners.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you provide any Scripture SUPPORTING preterism ?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts This SAME Jesus shall return

I John We shall be as He is when He appears!

19. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one can do that because it cannot be supported by the teaching of the Bible. Those who believe that train of thought (the modern preterist movement) cannot be taking the words of the Bible seriously. If they did (take the words of the Bible seriously) they wouldn't come up with something so ridiculous.

I cannot of course see into the heart and soul of another but perhaps some might be ashamed to say that God will do in the future what seems impossible today, so they settle for much less, thinking that preterism is a way out of believing the unlikely. It is after all, easier to make fun of people, or agree with those who make fun of others, than to be made fun of.

20. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been doing that. It just does not register with you.

• Like Like x 1