1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would God command men to do something they were unable to do?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by reformedbeliever, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes it is.

But lest we not forget - God commands "us" to be/do certain things, and therefore it is incubent upon 'us' to do that something with regard to the command that God gave "us" to do. Example, Like Believe. - From believing God will supply your every need according to His riches in Glory. There is an action of belief from you But God is your provider and it is the same for salvation or anything.

Now unless they hear God command them to repent, they are not in sin against this command. So to this command also necessitates the individual 'understands' this command to 'repent' by truth that is revealed to them. IF the dead can hear God command via Gods illuminating of truth and then choose that to NOT repent based upon belief of the truth revealed.

It still remains God began, God finished - and all the in between via revelation of truth and submission to this truth via belief. From the first to the Last it is of GoD

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

God has always intended on providing His part in whatever He commands men to do. When God said thou shalt not commit adultery then I think we are able to not commit adultery or at least I don't have to go out and commit adultery let others do as they may. I can start going down the line but it would not do any good. I don't think anyone on here believes that we have to kill.

#62 Brother Bob, Oct 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2006
  3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We don't do anything of our own accord. God's Spirit strives with us all.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Instead of being so blanket tell us what it is God commanded men to do that it is impossible for Him to do.

I still have to try and figure out how it can be sin if we can't help ourselves but are forced to commit such acts. Maybe I am missing something here. Then some must be saying that Adam had to eat of the fruit and had no choice whatsoever. I thought the Calvinist believed that before the fall that Adam could choose. Sure is a strange God to me to command men to do so much that they can't do.

Wonder how many will head out tonight to do a little fornicating because they can't help themselves but show up at church next Sunday.

#64 Brother Bob, Oct 31, 2006
  5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Aren't we commanded to preach the Word? Aren't we commended to be ready in season and out of season?

Are you unable to witness?

Isn't it the job of the Holy Spirit to convict? Do you think that the Holy Spirit is unable?

Your response sounds like you want people to do God's job.

Personally, I do not want to be 'god' - I do badly enough as a man.

However, having said that, I have been faithful 3 times in a week to witness for Our Lord & Savior - He commanded, and I have followed. And I am leading others in discipleship.

Is anyone else evangelizing? Are we ALL discipling others to evangelize & disciple?

6. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Ummmm......... lets see......... did God say that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God? What is the glory of God? Perfection. We fall short. I believe the bible, not your logic.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Believing the Word of God . . . then you are witnessing and disipling others to do the same.

Great!

Then can we pray that the Holy Spirit finishes the work that God commanded us to begin?

:1_grouphug:

Tho't so.

8. reformedbeliever

To be perfect. You, however believe that one can become perfect in this life. The bible disagrees. I believe the bible.

9. reformedbeliever

How so? Have you read this thread?

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

mmmmm ......

:thumbs:

If'n you focus on what you can do, you won't have time for what you cannot do.

IMHO.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Did you read this?

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

And after your response looking for someone to bite, you posted this:

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

And as my post indicated, you seem to be focusing upon God's work . . . as being imposible for men to do.

Yes, it is impossible for men to do what is God's job.

We are to disciple and evangelize.

Can we do that?

I think a better question would be: "Are we faithful to the commands of God? Are we witnessing and discipling?"

I know that I am.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I believe no such thing. I do believe the inward man after being born again is perfect for that which is born of God cannot sin.

15. reformedbeliever

Maybe I misunderstood you when you told someone in this thread that they could eventually get there. We can not in this life and we will not be the one to accomplish it in the next life. Can you see a dead man deciding to make himself perfect? That is what you alluded to. Sorry if I misread.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I didn't mean in this life. I meant we would eventually get to Heaven, If I am going to Heaven then I am not dead anymore but alive in Christ Jesus. Man, you all sure hold on to that dead man stuff. Man is not a log floating down the stream. You all don't believe a man can do anything just float along through this life and whatever happens then it happens. Well I am one who believes God holds man accountable for what he does in this life and the only thing you have to offer God is the kind of life you live. "Offer your bodies a living sacrifice, which is your reasonable service". I love Jesus because He first loved me, well it does say "I love Jesus" son give me a little credit will you. Oh, I forgot, you believe God makes you love Him too.

#76 Brother Bob, Oct 31, 2006
  17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Where are you going with all of this?

18. reformedbeliever

I'm simply refuting the claim of some that God would not ask anything of us that we could not do. Jesus obviously commanded that we be perfect... when we absolutely can not. We have to depend on Him. Wayne, of course I believe in the responsibility of man. I was simply responding to what some claim, through their logic.

19. reformedbeliever

Read the OP Wayne.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You don't believe its the duty of a Christian to strive towards perfection as Paul did when he prayed for the thorn to be removed. I wonder all the time why do you all evangelize when you don't believe man can do what you are going out and asking him to do and that is to turn to Jesus and believe. Surely you ask people to believe in Jesus? We won't reach perfection in this life but I assure you that we will in the resurrection if you have been "born again" and have the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwelling in you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.