1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would Paul write what he never preached?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 4, 2012.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    30 And he abode two whole years in his own hired dwelling, and received all that went in unto him,
    31 preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching the things concerning the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness, none forbidding him. Acts 28

Whether he was in bonds or free, Paul preached to the very end.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

Of course yes; that is understood.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

Well that you mentioned Acts 17; that is more in line with my intentions. You may call it 'agenda' if you like.

To enforce the idea, what would you say of Paul's sermon in Acts 13?!

That sermon of his must have been the most revolutionary sermon Paul ever preached! On that day, the road split for Christians and Jews!

Paul preached that sermon in the Church;

He repeated that sermon, in the Church.

That sermon dealt on the Resurrection of Christ --- its SUBSTANCE indeed!

Even certain key terms are the same ... "corruption"; "raised"; "seed"; "sleep"; "law"; "eternal life"-"immortality".

Paul uses preacher's language in 1Corinthians 15,
    "I declare unto you the Gospel"

He says it verbatim: "... the Gospel which I preached";

He addresses the 'readers' as if they are the Congregation: "... unto YOU I declare ...".

He speaks rather than writes, "So we preach, and so you believe."

He talks to his Congregation: "How say some among you>"

He addresses the people as were they listening before him: "Awake to righteousness ...!

"Now this I _say_, BRETHREN ..."

This theme was Paul's most familiar; he could in fact not open his mouth, or preach this sermon, and always to an audience he considered the CHURCH.

Paul actually speaks for the Congregation, as the Congregation, "As _we_ have borne the image of the earthy [body], _we_ shall also bear the image of the heavenly [Body] ..._we_ shall ALL, be changed."

I have NO doubt Paul practically, PREACHED 1 Corinthians 15 as his SERMON, TO THE ASSEMBLY, IN CONGREGATION, WHEREVER. Then afterward he wrote its message to the Congregations in his Letter.

And this message again was read AS PAUL'S SERMON, TO THE ASSEMBLIES, IN CONGREGATION, WHEREVER.

#23 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  4. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

GE....yes, Paul preached the theme of the death, burial, resurrection of Jesus in each of his sermons I listed. If I misunderstood your point I apologize. I thought you were asking specifically if Paul PREACHED I Corinthians 15 and I'd have to answer no, he wrote that in a letter to the church of Corinth. If you were asking if he preached that theme or text, then the answer is a definitive yes. I believe that was the theme of his entire ministry...what Christ did for him. That is why Paul's ministry example is so important. While he dealt with problems in the church and helped guide the church structure his main ministry was in growing and strengthening believers and leading the lost to salvation.

I wonder what Paul would think of some of the subjects here on this BB and if he'd tell us all to stop wasting the precious time God's given us on such silliness.

5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You don't write what you don't believe and you preach what you believe whether you write it or not.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

I catch the drift ... especially of your last remark. But nothing disturbs me, lady; nothing.

In fact, thanks very much, you are reacting exactly the way and the direction I wanted this conversation to go. The detail is working itself out of my 'hidden agenda', step by step. Very, very, nice!

You said,
    “If I misunderstood your point I apologize.”
    Please do not apologize. I did not want you to understand my point … NOT YET! But remember your own words, dear lady. I wonder if you are going to swallow them later on with the same delight you have uttered them. I really did not expect things to go my way so smoothly and precisely ...

Down to business then ... time to stop wasting the precious time God's given us on such silliness …

You said,
    "Paul preached the theme of the death, burial, resurrection of Jesus in each of his sermons …” – “… EACH of his sermons”;

You said,
    “If you were asking if he preached that theme or text, then the answer is a definitive yes.”
    Yes, that is what I asked, and thank you for your “definitive yes”.
    Here’s my point so long. Your ‘Yes’, is not ‘definitive’ enough.

You said,
    “I believe that was the theme of his entire ministry...” – “… ENTIRE ministry…”
    Al right, that is confirming what you have said just now, “Paul preached the theme of the death, burial, resurrection of Jesus in each of his sermons …”

You said,
    “That is … what Christ did for him … [and] why Paul's ministry example is so important.” I assume, to us as for the whole Church of all time …? Is it true?

You said,
    “While he dealt with problems in the church and helped guide the church structure his main ministry was in growing and strengthening believers and leading the lost to salvation."
    I assume you mean “his main ministry was in growing and strengthening believers and leading the lost to salvation” by his “theme of …” and preaching, “… the death, burial, resurrection of Jesus” … in “EACH of his sermons” … during “his ENTIRE ministry”.
    Right?
    Beautiful!

Thanks so far ... again.

#26 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
  7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Exactly!

And if you are in Paul's apostle's shoes, you with your writing and preaching
    1) 'deal with problems in the church' and
    2) 'help guide the church structure'
    because your 'main ministry is in
    3) 'growing and strengthening believers' and
    4) ‘leading the lost to salvation',
    like our diamond lady has said so well.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

The real Paul probably never preached the top down command and control taught in Timothy and Titus letters.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Thanks Billy. Without one at least of your ununderstandable remarks, no discussion on BaptistBoard would be complete.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

My pleasure. A voice crying in a Baptist wilderness. <G>

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ... makes two of us ...