1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you allow a woman to lay hands on you?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Ignorance is no excuse...................

2. david44

david44 New Member

That is true that the Bible does not specifically say whether it is right or wrong about the laying on of hands by a women..... But the Bible does talk about always doing things decently and in order, generaly it's a better policy for women to pray with women, and men with men.It would not be a potential of sentual arousal for the Pastor (man) to lay his hands on a womens forehead, but not to just lay hands anywhere !! I really don't recall in the Bible where women had the liberty just to lay hands on men anyway !! The Pastor, Evangelist, usually do this, Biblicaly, this is not FOR women.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what you and many others here on this thread are saying is that if I visit a friend in the hospital to bring them some cheer and a friendly visit that I cannot pray a small pray for them and that I cannot lay my hand on their shoulder or their upper arm if I did pray?

Or that I cannot pat the top of the hand or shoulder of a student who has a problem and quietly pray to myself while lightly touching them and listening to their story of their parents' divorce?

All because I am merely a woman??????

Hmm.....guess I need to stop visiting in the hospitals and praying for my high school students.

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Prooooooooooooooove it.

5. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I'm calling Scarlett the winner.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Would I allow a woman to lay hands on me? I certainly would not ... but not because she is a woman, but because no one man or woman today is an Apostle of our Lord.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Show me an Apostle who still lives, and you, have proven what you, should prooooooooooove!

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And who says the recipient of the woman's touch accepts it?
    Many people today (I don't question their sincererity) pray while holding hands. One is almost forced to participate in their way os praying. I just don't like it, it distracts and makes physical what should be spiritual. Who gave permission? Who gave the authority to coerce just where the individual should be freeest - in prayer?

Then, has anyone ever witnessed 'catching-spirit' that goes without hand-holding and hands-laying-on etc?
    And we are supposed to trust its genuineness? No thanks!

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's a shame that you have not had any time when hands were laid on you in prayer and those prayers were answered - and in a very special way. My husband and I have been the recipients of this kind of prayer and I even did this today with a dear friend of mine who is going to China on Thursday to adopt a little girl. All of us homeschooling moms and a pastor surrounded her and prayed for her, for her family, for her new daughter and for their travels. I know that God is preparing the way for her. I had hands laid on me - and then shortly thereafter gotten pregnant WITHOUT any fertility drugs like I had been taking for the last 3 years before that. We also were anointed with oil at that time. My husband and I had hands laid on us when he went into the ministry -

[​IMG]

This certainly IS for today. It's too bad that you're missing out on a great blessing.

As a woman, I would most certainly have a woman lay hands on me. When my husband fell off the roof and crushed his foot, we had our pastor and his wife come to the hospital and lay hands on him to pray, so my husband would also have a woman lay hands on him to pray - but I don't think it's appropriate without a man around to also lay hands. I agree in the ordination that the men lay hands on the candidate but the women (wives of those being ordained) also put out a hand to pray for those other men who were being ordained (when DH was ordained, 4 other men were too).

Ann

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question in that case more likely would be: Is a man allowed to lay hands on a student?

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This certainly IS for today. It's too bad that you're missing out on a great blessing.

There's nothing to be missed out on in this; He who has Christ has the Fulness of all the fulness in all. That Fulness is received by faith - faith only; by nothing else or besides or above. Christ is not received by prayer; prayer cannot deserve Him; He is received and given by grace through faith. Grace deserved Christ - the Grace of God; not us or any means employed by us. God - and the Holy Spirit - is not forced. No praying can change Him or His will.

12. atestring

atestring New Member

What a wonderful TRestimony of the love and the power of God!

BTW, since husband and wife are one , is an ordination of a man without his wife if He is married really complete?

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No one is saying that at all that I have read Scarlett. I am talking about in a church setting when someone is sick and ask the Elders of the Church to "lay hands" on her/him and pray for them. It is a part of the ministry. I find no fault at all with you praying at a hospital and laying your hand on their shoulder. As a matter of fact, if someone in a hospital ask you to do that and you refused, I would then worry about you. There are things God set in the Church and it don't have to be in a Church House but if they follow scripture and feel they have a need of the Elders to come in and "lay hands" on them and pray for healing then that is just what we are talking about. We are not talking about you going to the hospital and praying for a sick person and laying your hand on their shoulder or whatever at all.
    We had this same problem in our Association when it was discussed about the Laying on of Hands and some thought we were saying the sisters couldn't pray for the sick. I am the one who stood up on the floor and said if a sister did not pray when requested to by a sick person then I think that sister would be doing a wrong. Now, when all the Elders are called up to "lay hands" on a sick person in church, then I don't expect to see a sister come forward unless she is the one requesting the prayer and laying on of hands.

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for that clarification, Bro. Bob.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My mother laid hands on me a lot when I was growing up..oh that's not what you meant. :laugh:

16. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Indeed they are. But "unBiblical" isn't necessarily "wrong."

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You still healing???? :tongue3:

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Oh yea! In fact my mother lives with us now :eek: because she's in bad health and my father passed away. She hasn't "laid hands" on me in a few years now. She'd probably like to sometimes though!:tongue3:

19. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Read Post #7 by Scarlett. Enough said.

20. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Foul, circular argument, penalty fifteen yards.

Prove to me that the laying on of hands is not for today.

Or admit that you worship what your preacher tells you more than you do God.