1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you attend a church that only uses certain hymns?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by npetreley, Aug 1, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Would you attend a church that only uses traditional hymns from the 19th century or earlier as their "worship" music? Would that be "wrong" or even just poor judgement, because it doesn't leverage the popularity of today's contemporay praise and worship music?

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Yes, I love traditional hymns. To me it's not poor judgment, just choice of worship style. There are churches on almost every corner and if you want contemporary music you can always go where they do that. Everybody's different, that's why there are different styles of worship.

#2 Cutter, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. That shows a great deal of tunnel vision, IMO.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I would attend that church.

2. But I'd play the contemporary at home, in my car and even sing them in the shower.

3. Churches who adhere to the regulative principle tend to be like that.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I guess it would just depend on if there were other churches in the area. AND on what I felt God was leading me to do.

So far God hasn't plunked us in an area that had limited choice. NOR has He led us to a church that only played one type of music.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I only ask because the current "tradition" seems to be the top 40 praise and worship songs. Anything that deviates from that is "different", but that is not limited to hip hop. Hymns deviate from the top 40, too, so it was worth asking, IMO.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Our church plays ALL kinds of music, but I haven't noticed any hip-hop (even after reading the current thread).

But I am usually walking in just as the preaching is beginning. I'll have to check with Ron and make sure I haven't missed something.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. If we were to take the gospel to let's say a tribe in Africa that beats on their drum, in my understanding of worship, I expect them to worship and praise their God on their drums.

2. Most likely, they are going to chant from their heart to God as they encounter Him in Scripture.

3. Away with the conventional forms, no longer Jerusalem, no longer Mt. Gerizim, but it is all about "in spirit and in truth."

4. If we are not careful, our traditional hymns might just be the new Jerusalem and Mt. Gerizim.

#8 TCGreek, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

We do all ages of music at our church, from 600 years old to contemporary. We lean more to the older hymns though.
    The doctrine is the main thing, not so much the style.

I do think purpose is important though. Is our music for worship or entertainment? Is it for evangelism?
    I believe it is for worship.
    If we are worshiping and we enjoy it, that is fine.
    If we are worshiping and lost people here and are converted, then great.
    but entertainment and evangelism are not to be the primary reasons for music from what I can see in the Bible.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

TCgreek, I agree with you.
    We need to be careful to separate from what is Biblical and what is preference.
    Doctrine must be biblical.
    Cultural music styles can be a thing of preference.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. But I would lean more towards, prefer more, if you will, a church with the very traditional form of hymns assuming of course there are no Primitive Baptists in the area. Hymns like Amazing Grace, Hail to Immanuel, Hallelujah What A Savior, When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah, and the likes.

But I also enjoy the "cowboy" like songs: Victory in Jesus, This World's Not My Home, Precious Memories.....Wouldn't mind a few Steve Green type thrown in either.

Best preference: Acapella. But if the church is not Primitive Baptist, I can live with the piano, keyboard, guitar or harp. No drums, please. Not to challenge those who use drums or cymbals. I would rather my heart beats to the music, than my feet tap to the drums. Just me.

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Is there anything religious in that song?

13. vermae

vermae New Member

Yes.Where is that church?would gladly relocate if they put it in writing that they would never change.Praise the Lord.:godisgood:

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I prefer traditional hymns. It was one of the things I looked for when I was looking for a Church.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

There was at my former church. Sister so&so sang it, and we all prayed the entire time that she, and us, would get through it without further trauma. :laugh:

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

I spend a lot of time helping our students & young adults learn and appreciate the great hymns of the faith. That being said...

But I don't think I could ask a church to pledge something to me that is not required by Scripture. I feel it is out of place to demand restrictions on the worship of God.

If the people of the 1700's and 1800's said and did what you just put down...you would have precious little to sing, Vermae.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Absolutely! Earlier this evening, I punched in the words to see exactly what the lyrics were, and the item I clicked on caused my computer to lock up and crash, and I lost some things I had up.

And then I "blessed out" that site, thoroughly! :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, I did not see the post of rbell when I did this one, so edited it to show this.

Ed

#17 EdSutton, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  18. PastorFaulk

PastorFaulk New Member

THe regulative principle

LEt me begin by saying that the church I pastor, uses both hymns and praise music in our services.

I want to speak for a second on behalf of the regulative principle in regards to worship. THat is, that God only wants worship he comands.

If you look at worship through out the OT there is one specifice theme presented. Worship How God perscribes it, when he perscribes in, and only how he perscirbes it. NAdab abd Abihu lost their lives because they had un authorized fire before the Lord. In Worship God demands holy worship. We tend to find worship that pleazes our ears and our theology, as an example look up in the baptist hymnal how many songs are in the wrath catagory and how many are in the love catagory. We sing and write about what we want God to be. THis is why it is imperitive that we hold to a large degree to the principle. Our music ffects the way we see God. When God bless the broke road, or How far is heaven count as worship songs, then we must ask ourselves has our worship become self centered. Look at the paslms, they are filled with both songs of repentence, wrath, love, ect. The psalms covered the broad range of the character of God, worhsiping him in every aspect. THe modern song is more about what God has done for ME than who He is. When we sing about ourselves, who are we worhsiping? well thats my 2 cents.

19. Pete

Pete New Member

....a church that only uses traditional hymns from the 19th century or earlier as their "worship" music?

Sure, sounds great....what's the catch? :) As long as they aren't treating it as the long lost 11th commandment or something... :)

Would that be "wrong" or even just poor judgement, because it doesn't leverage the popularity of today's contemporay praise and worship music?

hmmmm? Hymns are still more popular than most modern stuff to some of us you know :p :)

20. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

This is off subject, but are you at all associated with Asia Reach Ministries or Tim Faulk?