1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you bend the rules to win a soul?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jul 20, 2007.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

Whatever is not of faith is sin. I don't know of anyone saved by sin.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Mima. you go and tell it. I'm an old married guy but I think I love you and what you do, if you :godisgood: know what I mean,

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

First off, if it is not stated in the Bible, it is a "man made rule" to begin with. And I have no problem wi th 'breaking' one of those non-existent 'rules', even when it has become "canonized rhetoric".

If something is 'wrong' it will 'contradict' some Scripture principle, somewhere, somehow; if it doesn't contradict that, it is personal bias, opinion, or preference, not a Biblical principle, and the only time I will accede to it, is in deference to the principle of the 'weaker brother' in certain things. And one doesn't have to do anything "under the table" in any way, to get the point(s) across, so to speak, either, IMO.

Ed

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, Ed! (Hey, that rhymes!) :type:

5. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Thanks, Ed.

It would break my heart to realize that I had somehow twisted scripture to gain one's trust. That would result in all night on my knees, hand resting on 1 John 1:9. Oh Precious Lord, forgive, would be my cry, among my tears.

It's always scripturally sound (I started to type "a good idea") to have the Bible in thine hand when from the mouth thou wilst expand.

:wavey:

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, I often read this but have never seen any proof of it so I withhold judgment on it. Do you have any quotes from Finney or examples from his life to prove this?

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I never got an answer to this. TCGreek is a solid guy, so I suppose he simply missed this...or maybe his expertise is not in church history so much as in Greek. :smilewinkgrin:

Unless someone responds to this I will abandon the thread. But I don't want to leave poor Finney insulted without response. (Finney is the boogey man of a certain branch of theology, which has created myths about him such as the one TCGreek mentioned, or the myth that he invented the invitation.) So here is how Finney really practiced evangelism:

"All ministers may be, and ought to be, so filled with the Holy Spirit that all who hear them shall be impressed with the conviction that 'God is in them of a truth!'" (The Autobiography of Charles Finney, Condensed and Edited by Helen Wessel, p. 76)

"In regard to my own experience, I will say that unless I had the spirit of prayer I could do nothing. If I lost the spirit of grace and supplication even for a day or an hour I found myself unable to preach with power and efficiency or to win souls by personal conversation" (ibid, p. 105).

So how did Finney practice evangelism? Prayer and the power of the Holy Spirit, folks--just as we should. :type:

#27 John of Japan, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not bending the rules, this is complete destruction of the rules! There is a reason, that only so many children can be on a bus; that is for safety reasons. First, the driver could have been cited - which would be a bad testimony for the church. But suppose there were to have been a collision (I do not use the word accident) and there was a fatality? The bus driver and adult supervisor could have been held CRIMINALLY responsible. I don't think we even want to go in that direction.
    Bending the rules might mean promising kids that you probably stop for ice cream and knowing there probably only means a 20% chance

Salty
    Certified Driving Instructor

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It also opens the door for a huge lawsuit with damages in the millions.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ahh, just what I mean.
    THese types of things were you do things that are against good judgement just to "win a soul" perhaps anyway.