1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you do the same as this pastor?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A pastor refused to pay the "tip" included on his bill.

Note: The "tip" was put on the bill since the party had several customers.

IMHO - if it is included on the Bill - then it is not a tip!

I went to Disney in Fla a few years ago. They attract many foreign visitors. Europeans are used to have the tip included on the bill. Therefore, Disney puts a brochure on the table explaining the American form of tipping and gives recommendations. I liked that.

In the link was this paragraph:

Some Christian leaders have even spoken out on the issue, such as Daniel Readle, a pastor at a Baptist church in Cleveland. As he wrote on his blog: "By leaving tracts and not tips, that person is saying to their waiter or waitress, 'You are not a person, but rather just a notch on my belt of evangelistic pride.' "

BTW, I became a better tipper, when I started driving taxi.

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I would have paid the bill and avoided the drama.

There are places, including my favorite oriental restaurant here, that include a gratuity charge when you have a large group. I think it's either 10 or 15 people. It is set at 15%. They even have signs up in a couple of places letting you know this. This gratuity is a tip, IMO. It is 15% that is not associated with a menu item. One of the ladies that helps run the oriental restaurant even told another couple to not add more to the gratuity.

If for some reason we add to the work the staff has to do in a way that goes beyond their expected duties, say my kid spilled a drink or something like that, then I would leave another tip on the table. We'd also help clean up.

We don't eat out often but when we do I tip between 15 and 20%.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tip pretty generous for two reasons. One, while in college my family depended on tips to make ends meet. Two, I live in a small town, everyone knows who I am and I don't want to be known as the cheap pastor. If you can't afford a reasonable tip, don't go to eat at places where a tip is expected. Generous to me is 20%