1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

would you have....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pinoybaptist, Jun 24, 2006.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Philippines, my country, has been troubled lately. Journalists have been murdered, in the South we have the muslim and communist insurgencies, from North to South, East and West, we have communist ambushes and liquidations.
    I have known, while I was there, of Baptist and other denominations' pastors being taken in the night never to be heard from again, especially in communist infested areas.
    But no matter.
    For the Filipino pastor, of whatever denomination, who is serious about his ministry, and not there for the money, believe that as pastor, one must give up his own life, if necessary, for the flock entrusted to his care.
    Would you have covered your member's body with your own if somebody attempted to shoot her in front of your church after your prayer meeting ?

This Pentecostal pastor did:
    http://newsinfo.inq7.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view_article.php?article_id=6327

Excerpts from Philippine Daily Inquirer article by DJ Yap June 24, 2006:

(if this is not the right venue, please feel free to move this)

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Not only should any pastor be willing to "take a bullet" for his flock---but visa versa, too!!! The flock should be willing to "take a bullet" for their pastor!! But we Christians in the USA are weak, Pinoybaptist!!! We're weak!!!

I can prove it to ya!!

Filipino preacher "takes bullet" for parishiner!! Parishiner "takes bullet" for Preacher!! Thats good! Christianity at its best!

Here in the good ole USA----Preacher so much as gets verbally assaulted--gets fired or whatever--parishiner just stands back and watches it happen---better not get involved here!! Those are my neighbors firing the preacher and I don't want to hurt MY relationship with them!! Preacher gets fired--he can just move on---but if I stand up for him and against my neighbor church member---I'll have to live with the possibility that that particular neighbor won't like me---just like he don't like the preacher!!

See what I mean???

People in the USA go around claiming "We're a free democracy!"---when in all actuality---that freedom has incarcerated the whole bunch of us here in the US of A!!

See what I'm sayin'????

Blackbird

3. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize if this came across like I was tryin' to say anything about anybody here in the States, blackbird. Believe me, that was not my intention.
    It's just that when I read this, I thought to myself that I would probably not have had the guts to do what this guy did, and he's Pentecostal :)smilewinkgrin: ),and wanted to know from others if dying for the flock was really something we in the ministry ought to be ready to do.
    Is it worth it ?
    Again, forgive me if I offended you or anyone.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

No, sir ree! You didn't offend me---what I was trying to do was to stress a point of comparison between the story in your post and "us" here in the US!

Is it worth it---dying for the flock!!!?? Is it something we ought to be ready to do?? Good question, Bro!!!

In the OT---Jonathan was certainly willing to die for David's sake!!

In the NT---Paul was certainly willing to "recompense" for Onesimus' sake!! And in Romans 16---it was Priscilla and Aquilla who "laid down their own necks" for Paul's sake.

I wonder though---if it came "down to the wire"---what could be said about "laying down necks" for certain in the church as Alexander the Coppersmith?? I can see going to the gallows for Gaius--or feeling the "pinch" of the guillotine for Demetrius-but not for Diotrephes!! See what I'm saying??

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, sir, I see what you're saying.
    thank you.:thumbs:

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think this scripture applies?

(1Jo 3:14)
    We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
    (1Jo 3:15) Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
    (1Jo 3:16) Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
    (1Jo 3:17) But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
    (1Jo 3:18) My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.