1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you marry your political opposite?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FR7 Baptist, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Very similar here. "Politically liberal" Christians are just that -- they are Christians first (hence the noun). A good friend describes himself as a pro-life, pro-gun democrat. Yes, they are out there. That's why our church is about as apolitical as you can get.

Regarding the "tree hugging" business, we do have laws where I live (and that I support) stating that if you cut down a tree on your own property, then you have to replace the tree. While this law may not make sense in rural areas, it does make sense in more urban areas. This doesn't make me a liberal -- actually I'm pretty darn conservative. This is just a law that makes sense.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Would you right wingers divorce your wife if she turned left wing?

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure what constitutes right or left wingers, but no i would not divorce my spouse for changing political views. However anytime anyone takes a stance against the things of God for political agenda it causes me to wonder about their true standing with God.

4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It's okay. Being a smart-alec makes him feel like one of the big kids. Too bad he's out of his element.

5. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

How often do right wingers swing to the far liberal left? Anybody know of any examples.

I imagine that there are far more people who are more liberal in their earlier years, and eventually when they get out into the real world they become more conservative in their beliefs. Liberal ideology is based on feelings and pride, not on reality.

But to answer your question Mr. Wald, I would not divorce my wife, just have her committed. :tongue3:

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Billary Clinton - raised conservative and was, I believe, until law school.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arianna Huffington

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, my dad became more liberal in his later years (though no one would ever consider him a liberal). I see that in myself too -- though I am still a relatively conservative.

BTW, how is liberal ideology based on feelings and pride? Never heard that one before.

9. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Abortion - "It's not fair for me to suffer the consequences of my decisions" (unprotected whoopie with multiple partners, etc.) - Emotion, Pride

Global Warming, Etc. - "Man caused this" - Pride, "We can save the planet, etc." - Pride, "If we don't do something" - Plays on people's emotions

Entitlement Mentality - "I deserve this because I breathe" - Pride, "Its not fair that they have that and I don't" - Emotion/Envy

Elitist Big Government - "We know more than you do, you can't do it without us" - Pride

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I hope none of my relationships, especially my marriage, is defined by such trite and nonsensical issues as found in political positions.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It's all right , kiddo.

When you're fully grown, you may learn one of life's most valuable lessons...

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's it?

No biblical reasons at all?

It's just...a bad idea? :BangHead:

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to break this to you.

If they support those who advance the liberal agenda, they are not Christians "first". What else will they put their "Christianity" on the shelf for?

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Obviously my faith informs my political stance. I really don't know why you keep looking for loopholes.

Because abortion is obviously the unnecessary taking of a human life, it is horrific, which is only made more so by the completely, nearly unthinkable way it is allowed to be carried out.

I don't have to quote straight from the Bible every time I make any kind of statement. My position as described is indicative of one that is Bible-based.

That being said, I generally don't believe that the Bible should be legislated. That is pure moralism. But this is a life and death issue, a huge injustice, and greatly affects society's ability to function. Not to mention what it does to the women, fathers, families and physicians.

Whoa, friend, you're the one who always brings up politics first. You seem to think it's acceptable to put your Christianity on the shelf when you don't like something someone says.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not hardly.

What is readily obvious is that you left it out as a reason.

It would be enlightening if I didn't already know you for what you say you're not.

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You don't know me at all, other than the fact that I try to represent other perspectives fairly. You just do the same mindless attack time and time again. I guess trying to pin people down like this makes you feel like a man or something.

Hope you're not married. That would be living hell.

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Seriously. How can you actually say this about someone you don't actually know who is obviously orthodox in his faith and takes it seriously? My faith actually matters to me, way more than politics.

I find it so offensive that you find it conscionable to make these kinds of statements.

Do you understand how sub-christian this sounds? Do you get the lack of basic Christian charity? Are you even in the least convicted about insulting and tearing other Christians down?

The fact of the matter is that I used to be just this way. I was hardened, judgmental and unloving. I was raised to be afraid of people who disagreed with me and taught to be skeptical of people's faith if it didn't line up with mine exactly as I wanted it to. I sought out differences in other people just so I could be the one to point out how wrong they were. I bowed at the altar of good behavior and published an Americanized, politicized gospel. That was until some very lovely people, Baptists, EV Free, Presbyterians, Methodists, and others, who probably had no idea God was using them in this way, showed me how to love and set an example of charity and radical love, even though I could be harsh and exceedingly vindictive.

I'm not perfect. I still struggle with these feelings. But I've found peace and salve for my hardened and saddened soul.

That's probably why this bothers me so much. I'm disturbed and utterly saddened for you, that you haven't found enough peace in your heart to share with other image-bearers, believers and non-believers.

God, please be with Carpro. Give him a soft and receptive heart toward your love. Give him peace from the hardness and bitterness he harbors toward others. Help him not to be so afraid of differences, but to rejoice in unity found through your Son. Bring him from the depths of bitterness and judgment and hardness into the wonderful light of your grace, peace and love. Send your Spirit to show him the true joy of Christ's gospel and help him bear bountiful and wonderful fruit for your Kingdom. In the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen

18. billwald

billwald New Member

>I am not sure what constitutes right or left wingers, but no i would not divorce my spouse for changing political views. However anytime anyone takes a stance against the things of God for political agenda it causes me to wonder about their true standing with God.

Would you divorce your wife for turning Catholic? Wiccan?

19. billwald

billwald New Member

>Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

A drug dealer IS an unlicensed pharmacist.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I would not divorce a spouse for turning from God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.